Notices

Noise and Neighbors

Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

im on a small comunity in punta gorda mixed on the noise some people love it some hate it cant win my neighbor luvs it and the guy across the canal hates it i just try to be curtios and not make it exsecive thants punta gorda florida
Old 12-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
im on a small comunity in punta gorda mixed on the noise some people love it some hate it cant win my neighbor luvs it and the guy across the canal hates it i just try to be curtios and not make it exsecive thants punta gorda florida
One of my car customers is in Punta Gorda, he is from Gaylord and usually has either a vintage Buick Woody, Lincoln or Caddy down there for the winter, 40's and older. He may be one of the guys thats not so much into the noise though
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

another OSO member here named "old Navy" had a south wind drag tunnel. It had a 455 Pontiac that I built in it with Basset water injected headers, was fairly loud but NOTHING like a bbc with dry tails by any means. My uncle lives in a small cabin near a little tiny 650 acre lake, there are NO lakefront cabins on the lake, surrounded by state land and private hunting property, you would think you were in northern Canada looking out over it. The lake however is full of bottomless silt and is getting alot of Lily pads growing everywhere but it has no speed or boat size restrictions (other than Michigans un-enforced 55mph inland lake law). I used to run my cobra jet jet boat there years ago right before I would rebuild the jetdrive just to stir up the lake and loosen up the weeds and lily pads. Old Navy brought his Southwind over there one weekend and we had a ball tearing around the lake with no other boats around and we were giving rides to the crowd of hillbilly spectators gathering to watch. After about a hour a old guy that lives 3/4 mile from the lake on the road going out to the highway come tearing up to the launch, tells us BY LAW we can't run the boat there, I ask him what law is that????? He of course can't tell me. I proceed to tell him : listen, we are stirring the weeds up in the lake, giving all the locals rides, not breaking ANY laws, only going to run the boat till dark and probably will be another year before we even come back. Plus I ask him actually how loud is noise at HIS house????? He gets all pizzed off and tells me he's going to go get his deer rifle (I was polite to him) AND that he's going to call the "LAW". I laugh at him, are you going to tell the "LAW" that you are threatening to shoot people with your deer rifle???? 15 minutes later sheriffs dept rolls up, dept checks boat registration and tells us there was a complaint but that we were doing nothing wrong so have fun and leaves. Old Navy being the nice guy he is starts backing his trailer in the water, I'm like-"what the hell are you doing???" We better just go, FUKK that, park your truck, we are going to run the dog pizz out of this boat NOW until we have no gas left. The old guy lives on the only road coming back and I am sure he saw the cops drive in then drive out and he probably assumed that the cop told us we had to leave and I had to explain to my bud if we take the boat out now the old man would think we got sent away and that he rules the roost. I beat that boat for next hour like a red headed step child. My family had the first cabin back there 50 years ago and about every 5 years or so someone new moves in this tranquil backwoods area and the first time they hear a snowmobile or boat they freak out so we have to remind them that EVERYONE is there to have fun and it's not always going to be the quietest place to live and we were there before they EVER were. Now, I don't believe in having a insanely loud boat with dry headers and just annoying people because I thinks its cool, I spent the money on GGBS on my 1100 hp motor in my boat and it did not lose 1 mph. The guys that insist on having 125 decibel boats are the cause of noise laws that others have to struggle even with mufflers with passing sound test and it screws all of us, Smitty
Old 12-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's nothing much worse than having (or being) a bad neighbor. Just remember that.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RMPRam
I agree with what you have said. Perf. boaters had better get used to all the new and old noise laws and adapt to them. I had a 38 Cigarette with 1100hp PSI supercharged motors with thru-hull ex. and was constantly ticketed for loud ex. I finally decided to do something and it worked. It may not be for everybody but it stopped the harassment as the ex. was not "switchable" and it brought the db level to within the Minnesota and Wisc. guidelines. I feel that perf. boaters were sitting on our buts when the laws were written and should have been more proactive as to how the ex. db were measured and what bd level was going to be the min. accepted. For a twin or tripple to maintain the same db level as a single is not fair, in my opinion.
So where did you get that done, and did hurt performance at all?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Glass Dave,

Does your car customer with the woody always wear a captains hat? No joke, he might be a couple of houses from me. I think he has a clasic car stash out in a hanger at the airport.

Andy
Old 12-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boating37
+1
Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boating37
I had a friend, who is a great fabricator, piece it all together to eliminate the thru-hulls. It worked great, as the exhaust was directed downward and contained between the drives. I do not believe that it hurt the perf. at all, but I do not have any facts to back that up. After I had that on the boat, I was never stopped again for loud exhaust.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

The guys that insist on having 125 decibel boats are the cause of noise laws that others have to struggle even with mufflers with passing sound test and it screws all of us, Smitty[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

i used to be right on the "phuck em" bandwagon. Until i had a little incident the end of last year. We caught a real nice day in the middle of october(which is rare around here) so i decided to take the boat out for one last ride, i dropped in at a usual ramp and it was deserted besides a few fisherman. i dumped my boat and tied up just as a fishing boat was coming in so i helped them into the ramp next to me and tied them up. while they were waiting for their truck and trailer i decided to start up and warm my motors i usually leave them at a fast idle to warm up say 1200 rpms. well apparantly i startled a little girl in the fishing boat who was now crying hysterically and her parents were giving me the death stare. i immediately shut my motors off and waited for them to leave before restarting. sorry for the longwinded story but my point is that i had never felt like such an a$$ about how loud my boat is till that day just reminded me that sometimes we kinda deserve a little of that bad rap we get

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.