?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop*

Notices

?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop*

Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98mkiv
Ok, one more idea, how about this:

SBC 406, B&M blower and intake manifold, double pumper carb, roller motor. 8:1 CR, 1973 vintage. Been dyno'd at 550HP/595FT# with headers, obviously will be restricited by the penta manifolds..

Big question on this one is whether or not my manifolds will bolt up to it.

Thoughts? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Look for a good take-out Volvo Penta 5.7GX series engine. They are 350 ci, rated 320 hp at the prop, and will drop straight in. You can then re-sell your complete 5.0 package. Minimum fuss and minimum outlay.

Last edited by C_Spray; 12-24-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered

so is that a thumbs down on the blower motor?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered

and would those heads accept the exhaust manifolds?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Think! - Then Think Again!

Dude!
You sound like a younger first or so boat owner, so try and think a little furthur up the Road! so to speak.
If you own the boat and never really plan on re-selling it or upgrading in boat size, type, or performance then you can modify this little puppy anyway you choose and as long as you still end up with a safe handling affordable package for you. Your SX drive can probably handle up to 500HP throttled reasonably and less wake jumping.

However if you might be reselling this HOT ROD in the future then take some of the WISE advice already given in htis thread and keep your power and engine upgrades in compliance with what this model boat was available with when offered in 2007 or you will pretty much destroy any reasonable resale value and certainly create possible finance issues for anyone want to buy and finance it with almost any marine lender! Just remember that most boat buyers of this type of medium performance small boat are not going to want to purchase someone else's morphidite experimentation in marine power versus hull attempt!
My thought here, most likely the Volvo 5.7 320HP efi was an option with that drive and should convert nicely. If you really want a lot faster performance boat, sell this one and go by a better example!
"advise, the wise man don't need it and the fool won't heed it!"

Best of luck with your plans, boat safe! ,have fun and enjoy!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

There is some good advise in this thread, as soon as you go aftermarket, the value of that boat DROPS significantly, find the 5.7 volvo stuff, it way SEEM like a LOT, but your take out setup will sell nicely and for a good price.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:12 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

SBC 406, B&M blower and intake manifold, double pumper carb, roller motor. 8:1 CR, 1973 vintage. Been dyno'd at 550HP/595FT# with headers, obviously will be restricited by the penta manifolds..

It's a terrible idea unless this is your boat for the next 10+ years.

Your boat has a current value of $20K NADA without options so getting $20K is about all you could hope for right now. Spending $5K on that motor, another 3-4K on exhaust (because those factory manifolds won't work even if they do bolt-up), and then another $2-4K getting everything working correctly means you have another $10-13K wrapped up in this boat.........and will be lucky to find anyone willing to give you $15K for it because everyone (me included) will be afraid that "frankenstein".
Old 12-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
Dude!
You sound like a younger first or so boat owner, so try and think a little furthur up the Road! so to speak.
If you own the boat and never really plan on re-selling it or upgrading in boat size, type, or performance then you can modify this little puppy anyway you choose and as long as you still end up with a safe handling affordable package for you. Your SX drive can probably handle up to 500HP throttled reasonably and less wake jumping.

However if you might be reselling this HOT ROD in the future then take some of the WISE advice already given in htis thread and keep your power and engine upgrades in compliance with what this model boat was available with when offered in 2007 or you will pretty much destroy any reasonable resale value and certainly create possible finance issues for anyone want to buy and finance it with almost any marine lender! Just remember that most boat buyers of this type of medium performance small boat are not going to want to purchase someone else's morphidite experimentation in marine power versus hull attempt!
My thought here, most likely the Volvo 5.7 320HP efi was an option with that drive and should convert nicely. If you really want a lot faster performance boat, sell this one and go by a better example!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
I will start by putting my flame retardent suit on.

I will agree 100% with Ray and many others on this, and then say. Are you even listening to what folks are telling you? Many here have been, and seen others go down this road. It's a bumpy ride that usually ends with a heap of money spent on almost nothing. If you just want folks to confirm that your idea is great, fine, but the truth is, you're heading for a big financial loss, with minimal performance gain. If you are not going to listen to what people are telling you, move on and do what you want. Sorry, not trying to be an azz, but this is silly.

Flame away.

Merry Christmas

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 12-24-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Dude!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
First option for me is really just to keep it mellow, and as you say appropriately powered for the model year. So to that end, a 5.0 GXI MPFI setup would be the best since it would mean I could leave the block in the hull and swap the electronics.

Next best is to find a good used 5.7GXI setup.

I think I'll take the advice given here and keep the plans simple.

So.... anyone care to help me find a used 5.7GXI? I don't mind doing a rebuild. The 5.7 bolts up the manifolds I have today, correct?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned

First option for me is really just to keep it mellow, and as you say appropriately powered for the model year. So to that end, a 5.0 GXI MPFI setup would be the best since it would mean I could leave the block in the hull and swap the electronics.

Next best is to find a good used 5.7GXI setup.

I think I'll take the advice given here and keep the plans simple.

So.... anyone care to help me find a used 5.7GXI? I don't mind doing a rebuild. The 5.7 bolts up the manifolds I have today, correct?
If it were me in your shoes, I'd buy a complete and new setup with manifolds and everything. -- there are tons of these for sale on ebay etc. Find one and check back here to see if it's a reputable seller. I would think $4500-5500 for a complete set-up should be about right and then you can sell your COMPLETE set-up for good money, probably $2000 or so, maybe a bit more.

A little to much money but just look around, http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-7-GM-M...#ht_499wt_1197

It doesn't say about warranty on this engine, but a warranty would be nice too.

If you can be patient, a good 5.7gxi will pop up.

Last edited by brivander; 12-26-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.