Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Commentary: Is This Any Way to Ruin a Magazine? >

Commentary: Is This Any Way to Ruin a Magazine?

Notices

Commentary: Is This Any Way to Ruin a Magazine?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

For the last few years I have not been a Power Boat fan. However, I am sorry for those losing their jobs. I am sorry for the loss of a magazine that many of us supported for many, many years. I am sorry for the classless way they killed the mag. It deserved much better.

Matt, you can make Sportboat everything and more then Power Boat was.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Agreed Sportboat should and can be the mag we look forward to each month
Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
No disrespect taken as a former Powerboat "employee" (I've actually been an independent contractor for the past 12 years), but I just want you to have the facts.
No disrespect meant in any way. By employee simply just meant as someone who, thogether with the rest of the staff worked and wrote for PB. I guess it's a language thing, being danish Sorry if it sounded wrong.

Originally Posted by Padraig
Oh yes.

And thank you for taking your time on OSO.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 12-28-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
For the last few years I have not been a Power Boat fan. However, I am sorry for those losing their jobs. I am sorry for the loss of a magazine that many of us supported for many, many years. I am sorry for the classless way they killed the mag. It deserved much better.

Thanks, Padraig (and A.O.) for the encouragement. As you know, Mr. Colby is remains an integral part of Sportboat. As does Bob Brown. And Jason Johnson will come on as a contributor.

But as I said, I am not here to pimp the new magazine in this thread.

I am still angry at the way the whole Powerboat deal was handled—strike that, bungled. That readers are still getting subscription offers and such means that people at Bonnier who need to be talking to one another are not talking to one another.

And the bungling continues.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also a long time subscriber (nearly 30 years). Even though the content has suffered over the past few years...I mainly read Powerboat for the boat tests, which have drastically fallen in number...I'm sorry to see Powerboat go. Truthfully though, I haven't enjoyed reading it like I used to. In its heyday, I looked forward to it every month.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Got my Geico issue on Tuesday. Too funny...
Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Kind of crazy...
I stayed with PB as an advertiser, stroking the "big" checks to keep my ad in the mag, and honestly hoping that my checks not only got me some leads, but also helped keep a good mag going, and some good people employed.
I spoke with Jason extensively before KW. He wrote an article about our new boat, saw Kerri in KW and planned to meet to plan our year with PB, on 11/29 I took a boat to Johnny T for a boat test evaluation...and now it's gone....?
And, I didn't get a call about it....AND, We are a big advertiser in BOATING as well...
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 12-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

If I recall correctly....Boating put the screws to Erick Colby a few years back. Another reason to not read or subscribe to it.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

i stop reading the magazine years ago.they were sooo out of touch with the average performance boater.who the hell can buy a new boat every 3-4 years?not the people that i boat with.if you can ,thats great.but i dont think the majoraty of performance boaters can.jus my 2cents.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I cannot speak for the dead nor would I ever presume to, but I can tell you that, by all accounts, Bob Nordskog loved Bob Teague like a son. I did not know Bob Nordskog—he died the year before I was hired at Powerboat—but I do know Bob Teague and I know he took a promise he had made to Bob Nordskog, the promise of doing everything he could to keep the magazine going shortly before Nordskog died, very seriously.

Bob Teague wrote Teague on Tech, which was the most popular element the magazine ever had. Bob Teague was the magazine's lead test driver, so naturally he was pictured in many of the boats, especially the higher-end models because he, along with John Tomlinson (who came later) were two of the few people the builders trusted with their big-buck, huge power cats and V-bottoms. Frankly, and I know I speak for a lot of my former co-workers, I would not have wanted the responsibility of docking, much less driving, anything with a paint job worth more than my car.

Some of the boats Powerboat tested had Teague engines. I am not saying that didn't present a conflict that we, as a team, did our best to mitigate. I am saying that boats with those engines were far outnumbered by boats with other engines, particularly those from Mercury Racing.

For the record, Bob's "payment" for all the work he did for Powerboat over the years, all the time he spent on the road away from his own business, was in advertising trade. So if you saw a lot of his ads, it's because he did a lot of work to earn them.

No disrespect taken as a former Powerboat "employee" (I've actually been an independent contractor for the past 12 years), but I just want you to have the facts.
Matt, I've got a great deal of respect for your years of contributions, which is exactly why I footnoted my post as such. And, I personal have no issues with Teague either - certainly a knowledgeable guy and has earned his stripes countless times over.

However, the point I was merely trying to make as being a subscriber for likely longer than anyone around, I noticed a drastic difference in the spotlight given Teague over the years, and while perhaps earned, it absolutely became a distration and caused me to question the publications objectivity. I felt the same regarding a handful of others as well, that seemed to get special attention. During the early years while Bob N. was around, I have no clue what kind of a deal Bob T. got, but you certainly didn't see Teague's name on every couple of pages. He got his mentions, but it wasn't overboard.

The bottom-line is, part of the credibility of a publication of this sort is maintaining the perception of an unbiased, arms length realtionship with all players, which I suppose can be a tough thing with tight budgets, etc. I cannot pretend to know the inside scoop of how things really worked behind the scenes, but many of my hard earned dollars were spent over the years as a result of what I read there.

Unfortunately, after my subscription expired in Feb '07, one year short of 30, I had by then come to the conclusion that the magazine wasn't worth the cost of a renewal. All I can do is share why I felt that way. Again, it's all about objectivity and balance, imho.

Have a great New Years, and good luck with your future endeavors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.