Had my first one at 16 and never been without one since
Bought a 2 wheel drive one once
Happy New Year
Jim
Old 12-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

It's one thing to tow it. It's another to tow it safely. Just remember it's your azz when things go wrong. so what ever makes you feel warm n fuzzy.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesus, listening to a lot of you guys would lead a casual reader to think anything less than a Mack, Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc, to pull this 31' boat would be absolutely foolish.

There's no reason in the world a 3/4 or 1 ton SRW PU can't tow most of the typical 36-39' performance boats out there, and as mentioned many of the newer 1/2 tons can tow the 31 in question w/o issue. Will a DRW do it with a little more of a safety margin? Sure, but then again a Peterbilt will do so with even more safety margin, but where do you stop and what is truly needed? What other criteria, uses, duties, etc are there for what this truck will be used for???

So the simple answer to the OP's question is a SRW would be more than plenty for a 31 and most likely fine for his next future boat upgrade as well, as long as his next jump isn't to a 42+. Anything more is just adding a little extra safety and in the case of many of the previous posters, just adding another inch or two downstairs.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
Thinking of looking for a duramax this spring to tow my formula 311 should I go with a dually? If not needed when is a dually needed, you never know I might go with a bigger boat one day.
Pick the best tool for the job. "bigger is not always better"

2003+ SRW 2500 is the correct tool for your job

2010+1500 will pull your boat

Yes a DRW will pull it, but there is not enough tongue weight to actually help stop, actually less contact pressure per square inch resulting in less road grip.

DRW is worse in the snow

A DRW main purpose in life is to increase PAYLOAD capacity, for example a slide in truck camper.

DON'T skimp on the trailer! A DRW should not be a "baid aid" for a poorly set up trailer.

Please fill us in on what else the truck will be used for.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree. You don't NEED a dually to tow on the bumper, ever. You only NEED a dually when your bed payload or 5th wheel tongue load causes the load on the rear axle to exceed the tire ratings for a SRW. Any other argument is based on preference and perceived safety.

I own both a medium duty dually and a SRW 2500 HD. If you live an an area with snow and heavy rain, a dually is just not a realistic daily driver. With all the dually's I see with cracked-up fenders, that just emphasizes the impracticality for anything other than heavy hauling or towing. In fact, not long ago, I saw a brand new fully decked-out Dodge 3500 Laramie Dually in blue, -smashed fender. Still had the dealer paper tag on it.

Bottom line, if you have room in your fleet for a dually, like the look, feel real good driving a dually, and have something else to drive on a daily basis, by all means buy one. If you use it to pull a trailer above 12k frequently at freeway speeds, get one. Otherwise, a SRW 350/3500 will serve most peoples' purposes towing boats up to probably 16,000 lb just fine. Some of the MFG's are coming out with 24,000 lb tow ratings on their 3500's, but read the fine print, that's not on the bumper, or with quad cab, 4wd, etc. Also, in my state, you can't run with GCVW over 26,000 without a CDL anyway.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just like em and been driving one daily for 30 years with no fender damage it'll happen now
So set it up correctly and tow with the proper rig a little big is better in my book. (IE: read the fine print )

Any tongue weight is to the c/g and position of the boat to axle on any size boat / trailer.
Happy New Year
Old 12-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Pick the best tool for the job. "bigger is not always better"

2003+ SRW 2500 is the correct tool for your job

2010+1500 will pull your boat

Yes a DRW will pull it, but there is not enough tongue weight to actually help stop, actually less contact pressure per square inch resulting in less road grip.

DRW is worse in the snow

A DRW main purpose in life is to increase PAYLOAD capacity, for example a slide in truck camper.

DON'T skimp on the trailer! A DRW should not be a "baid aid" for a poorly set up trailer.

Please fill us in on what else the truck will be used for.
Best reply yet IMHO.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

I own 3 Peterbilts ,1 Kodiak 4500 , 1 3500 dually
Use the petes to haul Jet Fuel The Kodiak to haul my 35 Fountain. and the duallyto haul the 21 ft mastercraft.
Dont know if its right or wrong just makes me feel warm n fuzzy.Cheers n happy new year
Old 12-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Best reply yet IMHO.
+1
The SRW 2500/3500 is plenty for a 311 and a realistic daily driver. Also the new eco-boost f-150 will comfortably tow that boat I know because my good friend routinely tows a 32ft ultimate warlock. The difference is his trailer is set up and maintained very well. Keep all your gear in great shape and a SRW is the truck for you.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stopping is a helluva lot more important then pulling. I'd rather have my dually pulling a 311 than some of the mentioned 1/2 tons.

MY 2¢

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.