Notices

When is a dually needed?

Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Y'all are leaving out the MOST important part of this debate, whether intentional or unintentional...

...BRAKING SYSTEM.

Do your 30mph panic stop in a parking lot with the steering wheel tilted at a 5 degree angle from center with SURGE brakes on the trailer.

Then do your 30mph panic stop in a parking lot with the steering wheel tilted at a 5 degree angle from center with ELECTRIC OVER HYDRAULIC brakes on the trailer.

One of them is going to put you in the shop for repairs to your truck. One of them is not... I don't care how many wheels you have across the back of the truck.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Some of you guys are talking about a 311 formula as if its some tiny single engine boat. 1/2 ton? That 311 full of fuel on a triple axle steel trailer is gonna be 10k lbs all day. Last I checked, 10k lbs is a substantially heavy load for any pickup. Add weight of the truck itself, and the trailer, your talking 15-17k lbs. Half tons have small brakes, suspensions designed to haul a few sheets of drywall and give the wife a comfy un-truck like ride.

Hell, I could sell my dually and hook up my girls hemi grand Cherokee to the boat. It is rated for 8800 lbs I think the manual says. Plus it has a hemi, and its srw. Should get great traction with those skinny 225 tires, lots of psi per square inch. I should be good as long as the jeep is maintained and tire psi set to 44psi. Then I could hit the bank drive thru, car wash, mcdonald's for a quick mcflurry on the way to the launch ramp.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Y'all are leaving out the MOST important part of this debate, whether intentional or unintentional...

...BRAKING SYSTEM.

Do your 30mph panic stop in a parking lot with the steering wheel tilted at a 5 degree angle from center with SURGE brakes on the trailer.

Then do your 30mph panic stop in a parking lot with the steering wheel tilted at a 5 degree angle from center with ELECTRIC OVER HYDRAULIC brakes on the trailer.

One of them is going to put you in the shop for repairs to your truck. One of them is not... I don't care how many wheels you have across the back of the truck.
Great point.

This whole psi per square inch thing really has me thinking of going back to a srw. Stock size tires on my srw were 275/65-18. I'm gonna see if I can find some 185/85-18 tires. Not sure if I can find them, but just think of how glued to the road I would be. Heck, prob be able to pull the boat up the ramp in 2wd in the snow.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 92 Posts

If you like more rubber on the ground.....
SRW tires are wider FRONT and rear.
You can also increase tire size and upgrade to a heavy duty tire.
Total tire contact is almost as much as a DRW but with more tire on the front where you need it for steering and since front does 70% braking!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

[QUOTE=Sydwayz;3579813]Y'all are leaving out the MOST important part of this debate, whether intentional or unintentional...

...BRAKING SYSTEM.

+100 Saftey is the key!

What works for one might not for another. dont matter how you do it just be safe
Old 12-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Talking about contact pressure. Ask any semi driver how much they hate to bobtail!
Is this red-neck logic or physics? LOL

So....the smaller the foot print the greater the contact pressure.....which must be better. There is a bell curve on this equation, and SRW is on the the low part of the equation. Are you running with slicks?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Some of you guys are talking about a 311 formula as if its some tiny single engine boat. 1/2 ton? That 311 full of fuel on a triple axle steel trailer is gonna be 10k lbs all day. Last I checked, 10k lbs is a substantially heavy load for any pickup. Add weight of the truck itself, and the trailer, your talking 15-17k lbs. Half tons have small brakes, suspensions designed to haul a few sheets of drywall and give the wife a comfy un-truck like ride.

Hell, I could sell my dually and hook up my girls hemi grand Cherokee to the boat. It is rated for 8800 lbs .
Sure you can, they do it in Mississippi in Honda's !!!

When did grocery getters become tow rigs???

I'd HATE to be the driver pulling that boiat and trailer out of the drink without owning a 20' chain.

See ya,
Kelly
Attached Images  

Last edited by huskyrider; 12-27-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: where did my picture go???
Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Registered

I've had dually's for 15 years now. they tow amazing even when towing a single engine boat.

there is NO driving thru a carwash! was never a problem until we moved to the really country and have well water i don't like to wash my dozer with!

we've had suv's and little go fast cars for everyday and just had the dually for me and or towing....my wife has taken it over the manual trans dually now as a daily driver.

you just get used to driving whatever you got.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

...BRAKING SYSTEM.

This was my point with the bigger truck. All this crap about properly maintained and setup trailer is all good in the " perfect world " . But in the event something happens to the trailer brakes, that 10,000lb plus load is going to push that 6000 lb truck all over the place because the smaller truck doesnt have the braking power of the larger truck.

Last edited by 45Tripps; 12-27-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Hell, I could sell my dually and hook up my girls hemi grand Cherokee to the boat. It is rated for 8800 lbs I think the manual says. Plus it has a hemi, and its srw. Should get great traction with those skinny 225 tires, lots of psi per square inch. I should be good as long as the jeep is maintained and tire psi set to 44psi. Then I could hit the bank drive thru, car wash, mcdonald's for a quick mcflurry on the way to the launch ramp.

LMAO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.