Notices

When is a dually needed?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Not one single drw owner has said his prior srw truck pulled his or her boat better than a dually

The same srw cheerleaders will at some point upgrade to a dually. Years from now they will be posting in favor of the drw.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Not one single drw owner has said his prior srw truck pulled his or her boat better than a dually

The same srw cheerleaders will at some point upgrade to a dually. Years from now they will be posting in favor of the drw.
there's no going back once you have towed with a dually....i have towed with custom made excursion diesels and custom suburbans...did they do the job...for sure...i've seen rented range rovers (one of the very few rentals that come with a hitch) towing SV to a race! but i would opt to tow with a stock dually tho!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have gone from SRW to DRW and now am back to SRW. All have towed and stopped very well. My new 2500HD has a higher rated hitch then any of my previous trucks. SRW trucks get better GPM. Get a flat in a dually and you are Screwed without air tools. DRW ride like crap when empty. Pull up to a car wash and they laugh and they suck in the snow. What is the benifit of duallys when towing unless your boat trailer has no brakes or you are putting the boat in the bed of your truck? Not asking opinions, Just want facts.

Last edited by NWPC; 12-28-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
You keep asking about dually boat trailers so here you go.
NOW you did it! DRW and Outerlimits in the same thread. We're all fooked.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by NWPC
Get a flat in a dually and you are Screwed without air tools.
Why is that?

I have never used air tools to change tires, brake pads, hubs or wheel bearings on my Dually.....

If anything I would say you are NOT ****ed. You have 7 tires on the truck to limp somewhere as opposed to 5.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

One of my trucks had 16" wide Mickey Thompsons. It must have been one helluva safe boat hauler.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NWPC
One of my trucks had 16" wide Mickey Thompsons. It must have been one helluva safe boat hauler.
Its not the width of the tire that makes a dually more stable. There are other factors.

Wider track
2 hd tires on each side, distributes the load better, and you dont get much "ROLL" or sidewall flex.

Are they worse in the snow? Yes. But are we talking about towing boats or snowmobile trailers? Also, not many snowmobile trailers weigh 12-14k lbs or more.

Im sure your 2500hd tows your 29 fountain fine. A 29 Fountain though is a far cry from a older Top Gun, etc, from a load standpoint.

I understand there are lots of guys out there doing just fine towing their boats with a SRW truck. heck, back when i was 18, I towed a 7500lb 24ft Chris craft concept 130 miles on a crappy trailer with a V6 Ford Ranger. I made it there without incident. Would i do it again, no.

Air tools to change a tire on a dually pickup??? Never ran into that. Last summer, I had a valve stem crack on my driver side inner rear tire. I was in some traffic, had the windows down and can hear it. I pulled off at the next exit, saw it was the rear inside tire. Got back on the highway, went to the nearest tire shop. Had them repair it, and back on the road. Never got my hands dirty, or had to dig out the jack or lug wrench. Had this been my SRW truck. I would have been forced to change the tire on the right shoulder, with semi's whizzing by me 3ft away while i was attempting to change the tire.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

Many of us have said we like our SRW better and it tows at least equal. Mine tows better, but it is slightly modified. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...installed.html
I have owned a DRW and SRW same year same truck same time. Both towed awesome.

What I keep hearing is how these DRW lovers had a OLD srw and like the new DRW better. NO Chit! Anyone would like their new truck better. ANY new truck will tow better also!

The point of THIS thread is if the OP should buy a DRW to pull his 311. If anyone can prove that a DRW will tow or stop safer than post. But there is no proof just seat in the pants opinion.

BTW. RAM Cummins 2500, 3500 SRW and DRW have the same brakes. So saying a DRW stops better is false.
Also have the same FRAME, Front and Rear axles, suspension. Ram 2500 even has a higher tow rating than the 3500 DRW!

DRW gains a rear swaybar, upper overload springs, 2 extra tires (but all 6 are narrower), and some cool looking fenders. (majority reason again is for PAYLOAD not towing) IF you think a DRW tows better its all in your head. Just like when people are given sugar pills! the placebo affect.

Buy a SRW for less, add air bags, custom forged wheels (which look way cooler than any dually!) and upgraded "super single" E load range heavy duty towing tires and you will have the best of both worlds!

If the OP wants a DRW, it will tow great, lets just not force him into a dually with false info.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 12-29-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the 2011 Ram Heavy Duty Catalog. Maxium loaded trailer capacity.

Ram 2500 4x4 crew LB with 3.73 gears = 12,650
Ram 3500 4x4 crew LB with 3.73 gears = 13,750

Go to a 4.10 gear and the 2500= 14,650 and the 3500 = 16,750.

Not trying to cause trouble, just want to clarify things..
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Many of us have said we like our SRW better and it tows at least equal. Mine tows better, but it is slightly modified. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...installed.html
I have owned a DRW and SRW same year same truck same time. Both towed awesome.

What I keep hearing is how these DRW lovers had a OLD srw and like the new DRW better. NO Chit! Anyone would like their new truck better. ANY new truck will tow better also!

The point of THIS thread is if the OP should buy a DRW to pull his 311. If anyone can prove that a DRW will tow or stop safer than post. But there is no proof just seat in the pants opinion.

BTW. RAM Cummins 2500, 3500 SRW and DRW have the same brakes. So saying a DRW stops better is false.
Also have the same FRAME, Front and Rear axles, suspension. Ram 2500 even has a higher tow rating than the 3500 DRW!

DRW gains a rear swaybar, upper overload springs, 2 extra tires (but all 6 are narrower), and some cool looking fenders. (majority reason again is for PAYLOAD not towing) IF you think a DRW tows better its all in your head. Just like when people are given sugar pills! the placebo affect.

Buy a SRW for less, add air bags, custom forged wheels (which look way cooler than any dually!) and upgraded "super single" E load range heavy duty towing tires and you will have the best of both worlds!

If the OP wants a DRW, it will tow great, lets just not force him into a dually with false info.
Duallys will always tow better no matter what the load is. You have twice the contact on the road and twice the side wall it is really a very simple concept. Is it a must have...probably not the SRW will get the job done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.