Notices

When is a dually needed?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

[QUOTE=MILD THUNDER;3581591]
Ram 2500 even has a higher tow rating than the 3500 DRW!

QUOTE]

According to the 2010 Dodge Ram Body builders manual

2010 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW 4.10 ratio. Max trailer weight 16,700
2010 2500 Crew cab 4x4 SRW 4.10 ratio. Max trailer weight, 12,500 lbs.

Rear axle GAWR on the 3500 DRW is 9750 lbs.
Rear axle GAWR on the 2500 SRW is 6500 lbs.

Base weight on the rear axle is 2800 lbs empty on the srw.
Base weight on the rear axle is 3140 lbs empty on the drw.

So, if you have a srw, and hook up say a 38-40ft offshore boat, and have 13% tongue weight on the hitch. Lets say the boat weighs in on the trailer and full fuel at 14k lbs. Thats 1820 lbs on the ball. Now put 40 gallons of diesel, a tool box, and a couple buddies in the back seat. Probably add another 800 lbs on the rear axle. So roughly 2600 lbs on top of the 2800 lb base weight. You are at 5400 lbs on the rear axle with a perfectly level truck. Basically, you are at 85% of the capacity of the axle, 1100 lbs to spare. With the DRW, you are around 60%, with 4350 lbs to spare.

If I was in the business of selling trucks to a guy, who was gonna be hauling big loads with a pickup, I'd sleep better at night knowing I sold him a truck that was designed by engineers at Ford, Chrysler, or GM, to haul the loads he will be hauling. Not "it should be fine" or "more psi per square inch will be safer with srw pickup" or "add some air bags".

You guys can call it testosterone, or whatever you want, when you see a guy pulling a offshore boat with a DRW truck. I personally have more respect for a guy when I see him towing big offshore boat with a DRW truck or medium duty truck than i do a guy hauling it on the interstate with a maxxed out pickup or suv.

I suppose because some guys run a 800HP blower motor in front of a bravo drive, a #6 setup is just testosterone and a waste of money.

Will a SRW crew cab 3/4 ton pull a 311 Formula ok? Absolutley. But some guys are acting as if a drw truck would be ridiculous, and a waste of money!

I remember towing my old 241 Liberator down to loto in the spring of 2005. I had just got my new F250 King Ranch srw diesel. Man, was i pumped about it. Figured I had just bought some bad A$$ tow rig, and it was gonna be great. Ya, it was a gusty spring day. The entire trip SUCKED. The truck swayed, got blown around by every passing truck, and I was always having to "Correct" the steering. The diesel sure had some power, but at that point i just wanted to be able to relax, for at least one minute. Nope. Boat sat on a brand new steel trailer, with disc brakes, weighed in at 8000lbs fueled up at the truck stop. The ride back wasn't as bad. About a year later, I pulled that boat to new jersey, same truck. It was ok, but I sure didnt forget i had a trailer hooked up for that 1k miles. Now, I can tow my 38 Fountain with my drw, and its actually a pleasant, stress free ride.

I have also towed several hours away on snowmobile trips with a friends dually hauling a enclosed 24ft snowmobile trailer, and my srw superduty. Hands down, the DRW truck was my pick for the trip. Just my experiance.
I understand a lot of what you are saying, but a #6 is way better than a bravo! A DRW vs a SRW is not the same. At least a SRW can add stronger tires. But have the same brakes, gears, axles, etc. The Srw is only rated to tow a little less than a drw, but a #6 is rated for DOUBLE!

Thanks, now you have me dreaming about owning #6 drives! Haha
Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
Speaking of tires. My F350 Dually has 235-85-R16E that are in need of replacement. I just ordered 285-75-R16E. That will give me an increase of overal diameter of 3" and a better foot print. Prolly more peace of mind also.

Any comments fire away..
Just to help,

Your rear tires will rub together causing heat, very dangerous.

Wheel spacers also can be dangerous.

For looks, heck yeah! I love larger tires on a dually. My 08 dodge had custom rock star dually wheels but my tire guy scared me away from larger tires and wheel spacers....
Old 12-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of tires. My F350 Dually has 235-85-R16E that are in need of replacement. I just ordered 285-75-R16E. That will give me an increase of overal diameter of 3" and a better foot print. Prolly more peace of mind also.

Any comments fire away..
let us know how that works? usuriously. 've been disappointed in replacements many times! ride quality unloaded and NVH r important to me. i replace front tires and move them to the back on my dwr's....the front ends suck a$$.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
We are confusing each other I guess...no big deal and it really does not matter. None of us have proof anyways. We need to send this in to Mythbusters. Good point on the sidewall though, but I always recommend upgrading tires if hauling heavy SRW, and that solves the sidewall problems.

Mythbusters...Does a DRW tow better than a SRW!

BTW, have you seen what I tow everyday? Currently my girlfriend is driving while I type on here! We have over one million safe miles towing heavy SRW.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...installed.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...op-my-srw.html
You probably would know my old truck it was a Dodge dually with triple turbos it was on the cover of Diesel Power, Diesel Tech, and Diesel World mag. My new truck was in Diesel World H&S did a little sponser deal for a full write up in Diesel World. I am on the WOP race team they just built a set of triples for the H&S race truck that flow 4200 CFM...
Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to help,

For looks, heck yeah! I love larger tires on a dually. My 08 dodge had custom rock star dually wheels but my tire guy scared me away from larger tires and wheel spacers....
Tires will not rub. I know of a F350 with 285-75s and they're like 1/4 to 3/8" space between them. 295s and you'll have an issue.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

Just to help,

can ya send me a pix of those wheels please? i've been looking at those too..... [email protected]

i've had a ton of flats in the rear on duallys....nice having back up...plug it at the next exit and move on....only one flat in front in a million miles...i hit a wild bore going 92 towing a race boat...o the name of the race boat was hog's breath...true story.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Registered

Tires will not rub. I know of a F350 with 285-75s and they're like 1/4 to 3/8" space between them. 295s and you'll have an issue.
Loaded down with weight they will.......
Old 12-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered

Just to help,

How does touching equal rubbing? Rubbing I can see generating heat due to friction, so how is heat generated by touching (without friction)?
Old 12-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Registered

From the 2011 Ram Heavy Duty Catalog. Maxium loaded trailer capacity.

Ram 2500 4x4 crew LB with 3.73 gears = 12,650
Ram 3500 4x4 crew LB with 3.73 gears = 13,750

Go to a 4.10 gear and the 2500= 14,650 and the 3500 = 16,750.

Not trying to cause trouble, just want to clarify things..

Oh darn.......you quoted facts! offshorexcursion won't like that.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
How does touching equal rubbing? Rubbing I can see generating heat due to friction, so how is heat generated by touching (without friction)?
There actually is a ton of heat generated when the tires touch just from going down the road, over bumps, etc.... On my old Chevy dually I had tires that barely touched and it wore a pretty good groove in the sidewall after about 500 miles. I would never run with tires that are too close together, especially if you have a load on the truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.