Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When is a dually needed? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/267688-when-dually-needed.html)

s022mag 12-24-2011 12:50 PM

When is a dually needed?

Thinking of looking for a duramax this spring to tow my formula 311 should I go with a dually? If not needed when is a dually needed, you never know I might go with a bigger boat one day.

Wildman_grafix 12-24-2011 01:32 PM

Oh boy!
:party-smiley-004:

mike tkach 12-24-2011 01:52 PM

NOT AGAIN:lolhit:

Osageparty 12-24-2011 01:54 PM

Here we go again!!!! Read this thread: SRW towing? Not for me!! *

Catmando 12-24-2011 01:58 PM

You posted this in the wrong forum.

t500hps 12-24-2011 01:59 PM

DRW vs SRW will never get a clear answer but I can tell you a DRW is a pain in the azz for a daily driver. I bought a dually to tow my 382 but have a car for daily driving. The truck is used for hauling and weekend trips to the hardware store.

BTW: A SRW 3/4 or 1 ton should tow that rig just fine IMO.

huskyrider 12-24-2011 02:12 PM

IMO, once you've passed a complete towed weight of 8000lbs or more (boat&trailer) you've moved into Dually territory.
There are some great discussions about this in the "truck and trailer" forum. This is also my threshold of 2 -vs- 3 axles on your trailer.
T500 once you've been in a Dually long enough you get accustomed to it, except for today when I could barely hit a parking spot at the grocery store backing in 'cause my 4dr Dually couldn't make the swing in drive. The poor people parked beside me must have had a heck of a time squeezing into their door. But, be prepared for door dings soon after your purchase.

See ya,
Kelly

Sydwayz 12-24-2011 02:31 PM

Bottom line:
Unless you let your wife use the dually, and she whips it through a parking lot too fast and tears off a fender...

...you will NEVER regret buying a dually.

Look in the truck/trailers forum. There has been some spirited debate on this lately.

SS930 12-24-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3578567)
DRW vs SRW will never get a clear answer but I can tell you a DRW is a pain in the azz for a daily driver. I bought a dually to tow my 382 but have a car for daily driving. The truck is used for hauling and weekend trips to the hardware store.

BTW: A SRW 3/4 or 1 ton should tow that rig just fine IMO.

+1 on all of the above. A SWR is more than enough for that 31!

Originally Posted by huskyrider (Post 3578577)
IMO, once you've passed a complete towed weight of 8000lbs or more (boat&trailer) you've moved into Dually territory.

8000 lbs?????????? You must have went from a compact pickup to a dually.

PremierPOWER 12-24-2011 03:10 PM

I love my dually and she loves me back. I usually just park a little farther out where I can kick it on an angle into two spots (just don’t take it shopping for Christmas). If your testosterone levels ever fall off, instead of heading to the doctor, just take your dually out for a spin.

My wife does have two cars though, so it is not my only ride.

Andy