Notices

Sunsation vs Advantage

Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
I always liked the looks of the Advantage, however when I saw one up close this summer I realized they are not using a lot of today's building technology for fit and finish. Areas of the cockpit and cabin looked dated. Carpet walls, glued carpet floor. Little hardware items just seemed cheap. Round cabin hatch looks 70's to me. Not saying it is a bad boat, just reminded me of mid 90's tech is all.
I have a 2006 32 Advantage and the cockpit aera is very modern with fiberglass floor and snap in carpet and has quad drop down captain chairs. Round hatch is old/weird looking but I dont think it looks bad on this boat. I had a 2950 Lavey before is and Lavey has better fit/finish than Advantage, on the west coast Advantage and same with Lavey are in the top 10 best built/longest running companies. Gelcoat is great on it cockpit has built in icechest/cup holders/ski locker/fiberglass rear seat base and engine hatch. Frank
Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bert4332
I almost pulled the trigger on a 32 Advantage MCOB with twin 525efis, but it would need an entire new paint job. (see link) The boats are fast and this one ran into the 90s. They are decent in the rough, but not great, they normally don't come with any type of K-planes, I think they have a 23 degree deadrise vs 24. I liked this particular 32, it had TONS of room because of the way the cockpit was laid out, 4 bolsters plus a bench. The 27, not so much. I've been on both and the 32 is the way to go. The boat rides "different", can't really explain it. Comparing the two, the advantage is a very fast hull, but depending on where you are boating, I would edge the Sunny in the rough. The Advantage is a bigger boat, cockpit is huge! I love the look of the Sunny, best looking MCOB design in the industry. I know that some Advantage owners complained that the hatch in the mid-cabin always dumped any surrounding water around the hatch into the cabin when they opened it.

Cost goes to the Advantage easily, if you have the time, I would definitely try to get on board on both.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...-has-done.html

Good Luck
I only boat in Havasu and it gets rough not like the ocean but I have never had any water come over the bow and never even water spots on the mid cabin deck that could let water come thru the hatch? Frank
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just one thing to remember with the Advantage, is that they are custom boats. Each one is different. The range of amenities from one boat to another can be very different. With that said, the Advantage 32 is a great lake boat. With the 23 degree hull, its very fast with reasonable power, but not the best bet for a true blue water boat. It's about the perfect Havasu boat.

Darrell.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered

I would think that I almost NEED trim tabs. I am paralyzed from the waist down so i use the tabs to keep the bow down when going slow or in a no wake zone so I can see over the bow. How much would it cost to have a set installed ?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

My last boat was an Advantage and my father has owned 4. They are fantastic boats. As others have said, they are completely custom boats. You will never see two alike. That is a huge selling point IMO. Thier customer service is also fantastic. I always make it a point to stop in thier shop everytime I am in Havasu just to chat with them. As much as I love and use my tabs on my scarab, the advantage had no need for them. I believe that the bottoms are designed to not need them.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

The 32 Advantage does not need the tabs due to the fact the Center of Gravity is moved forward, I have owned both a 32 and a 27, the 27 has hook in the bottom wich is why it doesnt, the 32 COG is forward so it planes with out and rides nose heavy, I have ridden in 32s with tabs also, and I must say the ride is a lot better in the snotty stuff at LOTO with the tabs. So in my opinion no you do not need them but they do make the ride better with them.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by the bear
The 32 Advantage does not need the tabs due to the fact the Center of Gravity is moved forward, I have owned both a 32 and a 27, the 27 has hook in the bottom wich is why it doesnt, the 32 COG is forward so it planes with out and rides nose heavy, I have ridden in 32s with tabs also, and I must say the ride is a lot better in the snotty stuff at LOTO with the tabs. So in my opinion no you do not need them but they do make the ride better with them.
+1
Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Registered

I don't see how the COG is forward, There is no swim platform to speak of so the motors are back even further than a boat with a platform ?

You guys are calling this a "Lake boat" If I take this boat and run it in the salt will it end up with alot of stress cracks or alteast more than say the Sunsation ?

Last edited by Scarab29; 12-29-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Registered

the cockpit is extended forward, allowing them to add the second row of bolsters, this little adjustment moves the COG forward. Also, their is weight added forward with the open bow.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Registered

We bought a 32 Advantage from Lake Havazu.
We use it in South Florida ,was on the Key West Pokerrun ,drive back from KW to Ft Myers(open Sea)3-5ft Wake no problem!
Advantage without trim tabs no problem on plan or topspeed.
The Sunsation looking better,but from the backside not so good(to high).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.