Notices

Stupid People With Boats

Old 06-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually have 6-8 people aboard, When launching, I tell them all to "stay in the truck, I'll do it", which they never listen, and then offer up the "ya know you should..." senario, which I ignore, and I swear I repeat, "thanks for staying in the truck" at least 5 times every time I launch. On retrieval I pull up, make everyone get off the boat, and wait in the staging area, then tie it up myself, and load it myself all in no time at all. If they try to halp, triple the time it takes to load. I like it my way, and if something isnt right there is one person to point at. They do understand that at least.

My favorite launch itiot move was a guy with a roller bunk trailer, in the staging area, I had just put in and was walked back to my boat, I get to the boat turn on my blower, and am waiting a few before firing up the motors. I am looking at this guy, and he is undoing front hook which I think to myself "That's stupid, it's a steep ramp and he has a roller trailer" I yell to my crew "HEY WATCH THIS GUY WITH THE CRUISER", and point at it as I fire my motors up. This guy hops in his truck, put's it in gear, and hits the gas, and never made it anywhere, the 27'cruiser flies off and smashes the drive into the cement, and the whole boat comes off the trailer, and is laying on it's side in front of the launch. Everyone on my boat is silent in amazement with jaws on the floor. I look back said how was that for a launch as I put it in reverse... Thank god it was gone when I came back at the end of the day!
Old 06-19-2002, 12:44 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

LOL, JayL13!!! That was funny.

I get a kick out of the Bass Boaters that like to throttle onto the trailer. They just need that extra 6 inches or so, so they trim that eggbeater up, and gas it! Next thing you know, the nose of the boat is in the back of their pickup or SUV. I have seen this so many times, I can usually predict it!
Old 06-19-2002, 01:52 PM
Registered

This isn't exactly a launch/retrieval fiasco, but stupid nonetheless...my father had a picnic last weekend for some of his co-workers, and I had my old 93 Waverunner out on the water for people to ride. I let this one guy take it for a spin, I go to grab a beer, and 10 minutes later he comes back from the dock with the lanyard in his hand....he had run the jetski entirely up on the rocky shore next to the marina! i'm still not sure how he managed that one! needless to say, i have some sanding and patchwork to do
Old 06-19-2002, 01:53 PM
Registered

don't bring up the bass boat guys. the very first time i took my boat out some pimple faced, four eyed nerd in a stupid bass boat
ran right into the back of me. gouged my nice paint and all
i flipped on the dude WTF, he goes sorry. sorry my a$$ you geek
i just don't seem to have luck on the ramps. definetly thinking marina next season

Russ
Old 06-20-2002, 12:54 PM
Registered

I can relate to DJD. I often launch/recover my 28 Velocity solo and I usually accomplish this faster than others at the ramp with help. Peoples' jaws drop even more because I'm a girl...
Old 06-20-2002, 01:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last April after the race in Saint Cloud, FL I was pulling up to the ramp and in the center position was a large Formula, 36+ ft, with tripple drives. He's got the nose on the trailer and decides to power it on just as I'm passing about 20 ft behind. He hits the throttles with the drives raised and shoots a rooster tail that goes completely over our boat.
I never saw so much water go in the air in all my life. we were lucky we didn't get swamped. He then procededs to get mad at me for not staying clear.
Fortunately we were ok but didn't get a chance to tell him off. By the time we got cleaned up and docked he was gone.

Racing_fan,
Your co-worker probably made the same mistake that all first timers make. He was heading towards the shore too fast and panicked. He chopped the throttle to slow down then tried to turn with no power applied. It went straight on the rocks.
Whenever I have someone who has never ridden one before I always take them out with me on the back first so I can show them how to handle it. One of the first things I teach is what happens when you cut the throttle and try to turn. The look on their face when it doesn't is priceless.