Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1 more Insurance Question, opinions please... >

1 more Insurance Question, opinions please...

Notices

1 more Insurance Question, opinions please...

Old 06-17-2002, 05:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default 1 more Insurance Question, opinions please...

State Farm or N.M.U. ?

I tried to insure my 26' Sonic, HP500EFI thru S.F. when I bought it, and they said no, but I had a lousy agent. Now I have a WONDERFUL agent, and they have gotten me approved through the Fire company of State Farm, for a great policy. I have since found out, and followed each and every step of the State Farm boat policy proceedure, and it turns out each policy is written on a case by case basis, by their Fire Company. They have quoted me a rate of $545/year.

N.M.U. has quoted me $638/year, for virtually an identical policy.

Now given the recent threads on how State Farm has done wrong and right, should I put all of my eggs in one basket with S.F. ? They have my Auto, Renter's, and Umbrella Liability policies already. My drving record is not pretty, and I have been told I could be in serious insurance trouble if I get another ding on my driving record, (with S.F.). Would you think S.F. would dork over my Boat policy if I my drving record takes another ding?

As for the $93 difference between the two companies, I could care less. There is something to be said for both arguments, having your insurance spread out, to make safe in case the unforseen happens, and the other hand, having one company take care of everything for you. Please give me your opinions everyone. I know this is my decision, and I think I already know the answer, but please let me know.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

State Farms gonna cancel youre HP boat if youre driving record is to bad.On the other hand......If you truly have a "Great" agent he can get things done if you ever have a claim. I know,I have a great agent!
Old 06-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a NOT SO GREAT driving record and state farm insures my checkmate, snowmobiles and fourwheelers. He is excellent. I have had multiple total loss sled claims over the past couple years and he says "dont worry". He always gets me thru with out a glich. Just my experience.

Rob
Old 06-17-2002, 10:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

TTT
Old 06-18-2002, 02:10 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I have State Farm for my house, cars, and boats. Like was said earlier, the agent is everything. I have been with my agent for 18+ years and never had a problem. I've had more claims on the house than anything else and they have been handled great.
Only had one problem dealing with an adjuster on a car hail claim over 10 years ago. He was not a local guy and was one of their "storm troopers." If you ever have to make a hail claim, wait a while to file it until after they are gone. They are *******s.
Made my first claim on a boat last month with great results. Made the claim on Monday and had a check on Thurs. Also, the rates for my boat (1996 Pantera 525sc)are excellent-$450yr.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thanks everyone so far.

TTT
Old 06-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have SF for my Sonic, snowmobiles and homeowners. No complaints. The snowmobile policy was one of the lowest priced / best coverage ones I found.

My boat policy (01 260) seems a bit higher than yours though, at $730.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my policies from a 252SS Formula to a 312 Formula (454 EFI MAG's). My agent said no problem.... wrote the new policy... 30 days go by & I recieve a cancellation notice (so does the agent). I call and say " What's the deal"? It seems that Farmers called Formula and was told the boat would go faster than 55 mph. So, Farmers does not want to insure it!! My Agent is now going back to the Farmers underwriters about this....everything goes over 55 mph!! If they don't reconsider, I may move 2 house policies, 2 ATV, 4 boats, 2 vehicles back to State Farm!! They sure don't mind you paying them, but they don't ever want to pay you!!
Old 06-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I opted to go with National Marine Underwriters at $638/year. I think the additonal $93 is no big deal to know that I do not have all of my eggs in one basket. My State Farm Umbrella policy is still valid no matter who insures my boat.

No knocks against State Farm at all, I just feel more comfortable this way. We will see what happens next year. I still have the BEST AGENT and OFFICE STAFF (thanks Pete, Pam and especially Terry) that anyone could ask for!!!!!

In a recent development; I also received my auto policy renewal today, and found out my rates went down $760 bucks a year with State Farm. That means I just got my boat insurance FREE (in a sense). Yippee for me.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-18-2002 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Forgive me for asking, but how in the world did you get your car ins. to go down by that much? Sign me up for that plan...

Quick Reply: 1 more Insurance Question, opinions please...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.