Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   NEW Yamaha F350 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/267913-new-yamaha-f350.html)

BluFlu 12-29-2011 10:27 AM

NEW Yamaha F350

Experts,

I run a 30 Scarab Sport with tired 200's HPDI's. I am looking at the (single) Yamaha F350 outboard as a repowering option or the (single) Suzuki 300hp.

Is this enough ponies to get on plane and what would you guestimate WOT speed would be?

Your experiences (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated.

I just don't know enough about running a single and its potential limitations. I'm not bashing guys with single outboards just want to know its advantages.

Thanks,

racer-x6 12-29-2011 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a pair of 2010 Merc 250 XS Sport for sale, 11500.00 each with oil tank, Smartcraft tach and all wiring. warranty till July 2012
Eric

26MartiniMan 12-29-2011 11:50 AM

I would say thats not a very great option dont get me wrong that one engine would be nice I really dont think that will power that boat we have worked quite a few 30ft Scarabs and almost every one had a pair of 250hp's and that still isnt fast enough for me LOL where are you located at BLU

VetteLT193 12-29-2011 11:59 AM

superboat makes a 30 CC with a single 300, runs 70 I think.

I'll assume your scarab weighs more, but with a single 350 you should be able to run in the 60's.

I'd rather twins myself but to each his own.

A.O. Razor 12-29-2011 01:17 PM

I would run a pair of the Evinrude E-tecs and skip on the way too heavy Yamahas. Alternatively, a set of Verados or Optis between 200-300 hp. It'll be a dog with that heavy F350 single not to mention the single 300. The 2 stroke E-tecs, Optis and blown Verado 4 strokes also have much much better torque and throttle response than the Yamaha and Suzuki n/a 4 strokes.

LaughingCat 12-29-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by VetteLT193 (Post 3581598)
superboat makes a 30 CC with a single 300, runs 70 I think.

I'll assume your scarab weighs more, but with a single 350 you should be able to run in the 60's.

I'd rather twins myself but to each his own.

I doubt he'd get more that 50 out of a single engine set-up. Heavy, solid boat, heavy engine. If you add in a T-Top or reverse radar arch, big wind resistance.

I'd stick with twin engines.

Jpzaluski 12-29-2011 03:16 PM

The problem lies not so much in the HP of the single, but more than likely the torque of the single. You may consider that you'll have to prop down so far to make the boat come out of the hole that you'll kill any top end you were shooting for.

Jupiter Sunsation 12-29-2011 05:34 PM

Not sure about a Scarab Sport but the old Fountain CC's (narrow beam ones like the 31) DO NOT like heavy 4 strokes hanging off the back.

BluFlu 12-29-2011 10:15 PM

Thanks folks

After reading your post and many years of boating offshore I just cant seem to get comfortable with the idea of a single offshore. I know motors have gotten better but i have had my share of murphy mishaps. My trips consist of 60 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.

I was watching a fishing show down here in Houston late last night and they showed a 33 CC with a single 250 Opti just crusing around Bimini but they never pictured it running hard on top.

The Boat show,down here in Houston, is next week and I'm looking at the twin setup.

I was google'ing all day today at work and came across Hydrotec Phase 3 kits for my Yamaha 200 HPDI's. He had some 200's tweaked to 276hp!

I also have a '01 250 Ficht but not really interested in finding another 250 Ficht to make a set.

Folks as a newbie thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated.

BluFlu 12-29-2011 10:20 PM

Decision....

After reading your post and many years of boating offshore I just cant seem to get comfortable with the idea of a single offshore. I know motors have gotten better but i have had my share of murphy mishaps. My trips consist of 60 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.

I was watching a fishing show down here in Houston late last night and they showed a 33 CC with a single 250 Opti just crusing around Bimini but they never pictured it running hard on top.

The Boat show,down here in Houston, is next week and I'm looking at the twin setup.

I was google'ing all day today at work and came across Hydrotec Phase 3 kits for my Yamaha 200 HPDI's. He had some 200's tweaked to 276hp!

I also have a '01 250 Ficht but not really interested in finding another 250 Ficht to make a set.

Folks as a newbie thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated.