Notices

where do you guys work

Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 787 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
As I have said before money doesnt make happiness but without you arent happy either. If somebody doesnt have a life but makes 150k a year compared to the guy that has a life but only makes 80 I would pick the 80. .
Agreed.

Its all relative making 150k a year in LA or NYC is like making 50-60 in rural areas. That doctor thats 300k into debt isnt out of debt and really making money until they are 35-40 years old. The one contstant is some form of education with out some you either will need some luck or a huge break.
You are comparing apples and oranges. I was talking about people with the same occupation in the same region. There are many physicans here in CT that make 80k while others make 250k. It all has to do with your employer, practice, experience, reputation, etc. The same argument can be had for all occupations. There are exceptions for everyone. I am sure there are janitors here that make near 100k while others make less then half that which is the reason why I say you cant generalize occupational earnings. They are different for everyone depending on the circumstances.

Last edited by 1MOSES1; 01-04-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Registered

I would think a nurse at that rate might be high end I would think you would be looking more at high 80's either way a good job
a nurse anesthetist is much different than a normal nurse. my cousin is a nurse anesthetist...he easily clears 175k a year with OT.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

If you work on boats for a living you will not enjoy them as much and may get out of boating all together. Can't say I've ever seen my mechanic out on the lake. I went thru the same thing when I was your age. Thought about the MMI.....its a lot of hard manual labor, especially here in TX when it gets really hot. I knew from high school I was good with numbers, excelled in all the top math classes despite sleeping thru most of them. I knew from watching my parents that accounting would be a easy way to make money and I could make enough to have nice toys. So I went that route, now I'm a CPA, about to finish a masters in Tax. I've since developed a real passion for fighting the IRS. So what I thought was going to be the most boring career ever has turned into a strong passion to fight the most tyranical governmental organization ever devised in western civilization. If your good with numbers I highly recommend a field in accounting. There is a shortage of some 20,000 accountants, virtually gauranteeing you a job and there are many diferent fields to go into it that are a little more exciting (forensic accounting, tax, litigation, retirement). The best thing about it is that once you get experienced and get some solid clients you can start up your own business out of your own home with zero capital.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 01-04-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
Agreed.

You are comparing apples and oranges. I was talking about people with the same occupation in the same region. There are many physicans here in CT that make 80k while others make 250k. It all has to do with your employer, practice, experience, reputation, etc. The same argument can be had for all occupations. There are exceptions for everyone. I am sure there are janitors here that make near 100k while others make less then half that which is the reason why I say you cant generalize occupational earnings. They are different for everyone depending on the circumstances.
No I agree. But location, employers, housing cost, etc. all come into play when making a decision or should. Like I said paycheck is all relative to region. If you live on the east coast you will have to make more money to keep up.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Registered

a nurse anesthetist is much different than a normal nurse. my cousin is a nurse anesthetist...he easily clears 175k a year with OT.
I understand my sister in law just became a nurse out of college and I know what he gets paid. I think the high end you are talking about is probably with years of experience, location and OT, which all make a big difference. I think your average joe coming out of school be no wheres close that figure coming out of school, and depending on the practice or location never get that high. Either way for a nurse to make sub 100k and above is pretty good.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
If you work on boats for a living you will not enjoy them as much and may get out of boating all together. Can't say I've ever seen my mechanic out on the lake. I went thru the same thing when I was your age. Thought about the MMI.....its a lot of hard manual labor, especially here in TX when it gets really hot. I knew from high school I was good with numbers, excelled in all the top math classes despite sleeping thru most of them. I knew from watching my parents that accounting would be a easy way to make money and I could make enough to have nice toys. So I went that route, now I'm a CPA, about to finish a masters in Tax. I've since developed a real passion for fighting the IRS. So what I thought was going to be the most boring career ever has turned into a strong passion to fight the most tyranical governmental organization ever devised in western civilization. If your good with numbers I highly recommend a field in accounting. There is a shortage of some 20,000 accountants, virtually gauranteeing you a job and there are many diferent fields to go into it that are a little more exciting (forensic accounting, tax, litigation, retirement). The best thing about it is that once you get experienced and get some solid clients you can start up your own business out of your own home with zero capital.
I dont want anybody to take this the wrong way. And you can do descent with this but you talk to a lot of people who work their hands they will tell you a minumum its hard work, and go to college. My dad and his dad both worked with their hands and both told me the samething. Alot of guys do pretty good on it, a lot of them done. A lot of them struggle with being laid off and going from one construction crew to another and always worrying about benefits. Some do ok, friends dad works may-nov working heavy machinery and with overtime makes 100k a year and has half the year off. The money lies in speciality jobs like heavy machinery, divers, all the weird stuff, the standard boat mechanic, framer, or dry waller, is not going to be living high on the hog.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered

I understand my sister in law just became a nurse out of college and I know what he gets paid. I think the high end you are talking about is probably with years of experience, location and OT, which all make a big difference. I think your average joe coming out of school be no wheres close that figure coming out of school, and depending on the practice or location never get that high. Either way for a nurse to make sub 100k and above is pretty good.
you still dont get it. a nurse and a nurse anesthetist are completely different. one cannot be the other. my cousin is right out of training with little or no experience making the previously stated amount. location and OT arent even huge drivers. everyone in the field of being an anesthetist is making huge money. double to triple that of normal hospital workers. what you are saying is general physicians make 150k while plastic surgeons make 400k. They are both doctors but in completly different fields. They arent comparable.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I've since developed a real passion for fighting the IRS. So what I thought was going to be the most boring career ever has turned into a strong passion to fight the most tyranical governmental organization ever devised in western civilization. .
Good Job!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Registered

you still dont get it. a nurse and a nurse anesthetist are completely different. one cannot be the other. my cousin is right out of training with little or no experience making the previously stated amount. location and OT arent even huge drivers. everyone in the field of being an anesthetist is making huge money. double to triple that of normal hospital workers. what you are saying is general physicians make 150k while plastic surgeons make 400k. They are both doctors but in completly different fields. They arent comparable.
I understand the difference and you are right. I just find it hard to beleive a nurse of any sort is getting straight out of school making 150 with no experience. I would like to see that job posting. From my research that is the top end of the scale. Even regular nurses dont make 80 coming out of school MOST of the time probably not ALL the time. Congrats to your nephew if that was the case.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From http://www.crnasalary.com/
Nurse anesthetist
CRNA Salary Information

Reflecting their level of responsibility, CRNAs are one of the best paid nursing specialties.

According to a Merritt Hawkins & Associates study from 2009 the average salary for CRNAs was $189,000. Although in 2005 the average annual CRNA salary was reported as $160,000, although starting salaries tend to be closer to $110,000-$130,000

I find that hard to believe for a starting salary. I wonder if the nurses would have to purchase mal-practice insurance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.