Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hunter S Thompson (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/268211-hunter-s-thompson.html)

ar15meister 01-04-2012 11:26 AM

Hunter S Thompson

I watched the documentary about his lfe and work "Gonzo: The life and work of Dr. Hunter S Thompson"

In one scene he is wearing a Cigarette jacket.

In another scene he is wearing a Cigarette hat!

Pretty neat- Noticed it right away.

Tantrum 01-04-2012 03:18 PM

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Hunter S. Thompson

"Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…"
-Hunter S. Thompson

ar15meister 01-04-2012 05:42 PM

I wonder if any of the oldtimers know if he was involved in any of the wild stuff in MIami back in the 80's.

The whole offshore boat thing makes sense as far as he is concerned.

And the documentary was excellent.

Interceptor 01-05-2012 08:36 AM

Although I enjoyed some of his writing I doubt he had many sober or non- drug addled moments as a adult.
ed

ar15meister 01-05-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 3586058)
Although I enjoyed some of his writing I doubt he had many sober or non- drug addled moments as a adult.
ed

seems to be a trend with great american writers. lol.

OzarkKing 01-05-2012 10:01 AM

My uncle is a photographer and worked at the San Francisco examiner at the same time as Mr. Thompson. From what I've been told, Hunter was sent (I think volunteered) to cover the war in the Falkland islands back in 1982. Upon his return he submitted a reimbursement/expense request that included a purchase of a .45, a case of whiskey, and a bullwhip.

sommerfliesby 01-05-2012 10:43 AM

I have read almost everything HST has written. The man is an American icon.

CigDaze 01-05-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby (Post 3586156)
I have read almost everything HST has written. The man is an American icon.

Agreed. I've read much of his work with enthusiasm. He certainly had an enchanting and twisted view of the world. He's the Hugh Hefner of modern American literature; bold yet subdued, perverse yet elegant - and always a little crazy.

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitshy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax — This won't hurt."