Never Buy New>>>
Old 01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
Never Buy New>>>
Be careful with "never" and "always"...

I bought my 382 Formula new (built to order, actually) in 2000 because I had a specific set of options that I wanted and intended to keep the boat for roughly 13 years, until I retired. This summer will be season #13, and I have ZERO regrets other than not ordering a vacuflush. We have customized the boat to our needs and tastes over the years, but the basic configuration is what we started with way back when.

I'll be accepting offers some time in August...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Be careful with "never" and "always"...

I bought my 382 Formula new (built to order, actually) in 2000 because I had a specific set of options that I wanted and intended to keep the boat for roughly 13 years, until I retired. This summer will be season #13, and I have ZERO regrets other than not ordering a vacuflush. We have customized the boat to our needs and tastes over the years, but the basic configuration is what we started with way back when.

I'll be accepting offers some time in August...
What will replace your 382?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
What will replace your 382?
And besides the fact that youve had it so long, why are you going to replace it?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like Formula dash designs and style. Many other builders named before have what I call a "FLAT FACED" dash. No shape, no style or character. Personally I don't like sitting behind an ugly flat dash all day. On the, bashing, subject of "dated" any builder who can't design some character and shape to a dash and just throws up some variation of a flat dash as new is still dated to me.

I like that the Fastech dash does not look like it was jerked out of a race boat and shoved into a production boat like others.

Did I mention I don't like "dated" flat dashes?
Like this one....http://www.boatcrazy.com/images/sale...hunder_008.jpg

Last edited by aquaforce; 01-11-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Yes overall formula is doing better BUT only because of its cruiser side of the business. The fas tech line is just as bad as any other production boat. Plus they are way over priced in todays economy. Especially when you can get way more for your money in a larger faster used boat. Un fortunately the fas tech line is outdated....and I bet money formula continues not to update it.
WOW!!! A lot of Formula criticism for an owner of a "OLD" Baja 33. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and pony up with a brand new 36+ Baja in your stable ...? Baja website doesn't look like they even make one anymore.

Formula builds a solid well-build boat, and unlike other boat companies they have done so from the beginning of time. They have improved their line over the years incorporating conservative steps, integrated stringer systems, factory-installed extension boxes, ITS, and the like. They offer several successful lines from very nice yachts to cruisers, Fastechs, SunSports, and the cross-over SuperSports. They even build an incredibly nice bowrider if that's what you are looking for. No other company has the diversity to do the same and thrive (let alone survive) in the current Obama economy. I'm sure it has been very difficult to suspend relationships with some of their best dealers. Everyone is in survival mode these days, Formula being no exception.

They do this from the middle of a cornfield in Indiana, and have been forced to cut their plant from over 600 employees in good times to around 200 currently. This is a family-owned business that values their employees like family members. One of the nicest and best technical assistants in the industry is now managing a tire store. The president of the company has been known to go out and hop on the lawn mower to relieve the maintenence guy on his lunch break. My name and those of my guests are on the marquee at the front desk when I walk into the building, and they have repeatedly taken the time to give tours of the plant lasting many hours. These are great people who support their customer far more than any other boat company out there.

In the medical field, we have an axiom that says "If what you are doing is working, keep doing it. If what you are doing is not working, then stop." Formula has undoubtedly set the standard for quality in the production-based performance boating industry. They don't copy others and are not trying to have the fastest boat out there, although they did very well when the economy allowed them to actively participate in the "factory-class" racing in the early 2000s.

I don't want to have the fastest or most expensive boat out there. I don't want the latest wild graphics that will be outdated next year, or McDonald's looking interiors that another outstanding boat company did for awhile. I don't want my boat to roll in a tight turn or kill my friends/guests in a sudden unexpected evasive manuver. I want a nice sporty windshield to offer a little protection from the elements during a crappy day on the Great Lakes. I like the thought of AC and an enclosed head while anchored in a bay at Lake Mead with a bunch of friends on a 114* day. If it comes down to having staggered motors vs room for three extra bikini-clad asian women in the cockpit, I'll gladly take the latter.

It's pretty simple ... if you don't like Formula or can't afford to pay for good quality, don't buy one (new or used).

Last edited by RedDog382; 01-11-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
Never Buy New>>>
Currently I would agree, but in the fall of 05 used boats were bringing top dollar. There was not as much difference in price as there is now......what a difference 5 years makes.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Made It Rain
I will be getting one of the 382's they built last year, it should be delivered end of next month. I looked at all the other boats, and in my opinion it was the best I could buy. This is my 5th Formula and I've been more than happy with all of them.
I hope you will post some pics of the progress of my... um I mean your dream boat! 725 Ilmors w/ Indy drives in a 382 FasTech... Nice!

Please take REALLY good care of it for me... maybe in 7 or 8yrs. when you buy your 6th Formula I'll be able to afford to buy it off you and make it my third Formula!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perfect Storm
I hope you will post some pics of the progress of my... um I mean your dream boat! 725 Ilmors w/ Indy drives in a 382 FasTech... Nice!

Please take REALLY good care of it for me... maybe in 7 or 8yrs. when you buy your 6th Formula I'll be able to afford to buy it off you and make it my third Formula!
I'll take good care of it for you. Maybe you will want it in 3 years.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Sure, that might work... I had to travel all the way to Vegas to buy my current FasTech, so at least you're a little closer to home!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.