Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1997 campion chase 910- should i buy it? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/268634-1997-campion-chase-910-should-i-buy.html)

Kichler 01-11-2012 03:36 PM

1997 campion chase 910- should i buy it?

1997 campion chase 910 with 2 bullet 502s that make 525hp each. hydraulic steering bravo ones with 32p 4 blade props- 318hrs. would it be fast? and how would it ride?

BOATMAN302 01-11-2012 03:40 PM

When you say Bullett does that refer to Bullet engine in Kingston.

4bus 01-11-2012 03:50 PM

A friend of a friend used to have one in this area. Relatively small 30 ft boat, from what I remember it did about 70 mph with twin 454 mag MPI. Should fly with that power, must have 1.36 drives with those props?

He did seem to get beat up a bit in the river. I don't know anything about the bottom, if he had tabs, or even if he knew how to drive. I do know when it got ruff he was left behind, but when it was flat the boat ran pretty good.

Resale may be a concern

A.O. Razor 01-11-2012 04:22 PM

I've been in 2, one with mild 454 310 hp motors and one with bumped up 502s. Both of them were a HORRIBLE ride. As said, very loose and not good with even smaller waves. Their other stuff, the runabouts and cruisers ect. are great boats and Campion does a lot of things great, but high performance powerboats are not one of them. If you want a powerboat, buy one from a compagny that builds powerboats on a regular basis.

To answer your question. NO!!!

cdail28590 01-12-2012 11:54 AM

A buddy of mine had 1 with a single 454 and for a 30 ft it ran decent to be a single. It would run around 64 and where we live there aren't many waves but we did take it to the sound and the ocean a couple of times and it seemed ok but these were not big wave days. It seemed to be a very lite boat and was loose when it was wide open. You couldn't make any quick turns at high speed.

c2boatman 01-12-2012 08:07 PM

is it from ontario? if so i owned it 10 years ago. bullet engines from kingston. boat ran 78 on gps. not the best riding, only 30 ft with lots of weight in the back

Dave M 01-13-2012 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by 4bus (Post 3591226)
Resale may be a concern

+1

Kichler 01-13-2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BOATMAN302 (Post 3591220)
When you say Bullett does that refer to Bullet engine in Kingston.

Yes bullet engines in kingston

Kichler 01-13-2012 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by c2boatman (Post 3592387)
is it from ontario? if so i owned it 10 years ago. bullet engines from kingston. boat ran 78 on gps. not the best riding, only 30 ft with lots of weight in the back

Yes it has a blue checkered flag and says goldfinger on the side

A.O. Razor 01-14-2012 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by cdail28590 (Post 3591988)
A buddy of mine had 1 with a single 454 and for a 30 ft it ran decent to be a single. It would run around 64 and where we live there aren't many waves but we did take it to the sound and the ocean a couple of times and it seemed ok but these were not big wave days. It seemed to be a very lite boat and was loose when it was wide open. You couldn't make any quick turns at high speed.

I've heard from others, including the guy here on OSO by the name of campionchase910 that the singles handle quite a bit better than the twin models, but still not really good. He now owns a Sunsation.

The 910 is a big runabout, that's it. It is not a high performance boat. Baja, Scarrab, PQ, Velocity, Fountain, Sunny and others in 29-33 footers are boats that could be had for what I'd guess a 910 costs. All of them are better performance boats.

Ran-Dom 32 01-14-2012 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kichler (Post 3593228)
Yes it has a blue checkered flag and says goldfinger on the side

thats the boat c2boatman owned..., unless your absolutely stealing it & your in love with it, I would pass, as others have said, there are to many great deals out there on better quality brands

Kichler 01-16-2012 10:03 PM

Would Any Of You Change Your Minds If I Said I Can Buy It For 25k

A.O. Razor 01-17-2012 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kichler (Post 3595070)
Would Any Of You Change Your Minds If I Said I Can Buy It For 25k

That sounds like a low price indeed. Would I change my mind? No. The boat is what it is. All of us can have all sorts of opinions, but needs and taste is different. You want to ask yourself, "will I be satisfied?" Will it run 80+ yes, but does it feel safe and enjoyable to do it, I don't think it does. There is nothing wrong with the build quality itself, it's more of a performance thing. That is why I say, if you're looking for a go-fast, find a purpose build go-fast. I think there is a reason why the 910 never really caught on. Is 25k your budget limit?

Kichler 01-17-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor (Post 3595117)
That sounds like a low price indeed. Would I change my mind? No. The boat is what it is. All of us can have all sorts of opinions, but needs and taste is different. You want to ask yourself, "will I be satisfied?" Will it run 80+ yes, but does it feel safe and enjoyable to do it, I don't think it does. There is nothing wrong with the build quality itself, it's more of a performance thing. That is why I say, if you're looking for a go-fast, find a purpose build go-fast. I think there is a reason why the 910 never really caught on. Is 25k your budget limit?

i mostly will use the boat to blast around and to the local hot spots, and the odd time do some playin with buddys racin around, im not a 100% go fast guy, i like to have a cooler on board and relax for the day at islands so ill be mostly using it as a runabout and to open it up every once in while:drink:

Ran-Dom 32 01-17-2012 09:24 AM

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2425132 Goldfinger won't hit 80 on GPS, I've been on it, Bullet Engines are not a real 525HP from what I understand, with that being said, if the boat is mechanically & structurally sound, 25K would be a decent buy

TexomaPowerboater 01-17-2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kichler (Post 3595215)
i mostly will use the boat to blast around and to the local hot spots, and the odd time do some playin with buddys racin around, im not a 100% go fast guy, i like to have a cooler on board and relax for the day at islands so ill be mostly using it as a runabout and to open it up every once in while:drink:

Sounds like you might be more happy with something like my 28 apache I have listed here. I am the same type of boater and it has served me very well. It has a reefer (boat refridgerator) and large dry storage in the cabin that can be used for coolers or you could convert one to A/C. Has one of the most comfortable cabins ever put into a 28ft boat. My wife loves riding down there with our two year old. Also, has almost brand new stock 502's. That 525 bullet engine is approaching a top end job at 318 hours.

8luglogic 01-17-2012 12:57 PM

I'd pass on the Campion ! They are average quality boats at best and definately not a performance boat . I owned a 1990 23' Chase 454 b1 . It would barely hit 60 and felt real loose over 50 . Hull was so thin you could damb near put your fist through it . Wiring is a joke .. crimp connectors and black tape . They are a low to mid quality boat depending on what model and year. I've seen lots of them around , they are built in Kelowna BC . Same guys build those Vector boats but they are of a higher quality and price point .
If you want a runabout , get an older Searay for half that price and it will still be twice the boat as that Campion . If you want quality performance boat , you cant go wrong with a Fountain . Just tossin in my 2 cents here ...lol