Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/268647-michael-allweiss-sends-letter-race-sponsors.html)

Catastrophe 01-11-2012 09:18 PM

I'd like to hear the thinking behind how going after the insurance company of the local merchants is going to make the sport safer.

twocents 01-11-2012 09:30 PM

Going after sponsors for damages in a boat racing death is nothing new. In 1984 during an event (not offshore)that I was involved with, a spectator death occurred as a result of the racing. Everybody even remotely involved with the event was sued, including two major company sponsors (beer and automobile/truck). Five years later the suit settled, ten different insurance companies came up with $500,000 each (including the major sponsor companies) which was a record award for the state on a single fatality accident. The racing venue never held another event.

Payton 01-11-2012 09:30 PM

Isn't he the former president of APBA?

The TV report says they are not after the money, but to change the way they are organized. That the rescuers response was to slow and he drowned.

Ted G 01-11-2012 09:40 PM

Having dealt with this for the last 10 or so years, I can tell you that when the liability policy for the race is written it includes coverage for all the sponsors. We would submit a list of covered insureds the day or two before the race and they would be listed on the final policy papers. As has been said any lawyer will cast a wide net and get all the information before (in this case) even filing a suit. The real problem here would be how the liability policy was written and if all the sponsors, venue, etc. were all listed as co-insureds. If not....:eek:

mike tkach 01-11-2012 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3591467)
I'd like to here the thinking behind how going after the insurance company of the local merchants is going to make the sport safer.

without the sponser,s,there would be no racing,if i was a sponser,id run from any racing in the waters of florida,talk about screwed up laws:bsflag:

Marginmn 01-11-2012 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3591467)
I'd like to here the thinking behind how going after the insurance company of the local merchants is going to make the sport safer.

I think this action could save countless lives in the future because it probably will result in far fewer events being held.

What cracks me up is that Florida would pass such a law in the first place. And people actually sit around and wonder why there are fewer jobs in this country. Effing bought and paid for politicians. The law lobby makes me want to vomit.

Panther 01-11-2012 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3591436)
Interesting

Sure is...

My response; "Told ya so"....

I warned long ago and it looks like the crank it turning.. :(

Panther 01-11-2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Payton (Post 3591482)
Isn't he the former president of APBA?

He is... yet everyone thinks he's doing all this for the "better of the sport" and not chasing an ambulance... :party-smiley-004:

Not for the good of the sport in my opinion...

Panther 01-11-2012 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 3591496)
without the sponser,s,there would be no racing,if i was a sponser,id run from any racing in the waters of florida,talk about screwed up laws:bsflag:

And that's the way business works... A business normally does not want to associate themselves with risk... I think this is an ambulance chaser making a personal attack guise'ed as being good for the sport.

Harsh, yes... True? Yet to be proven otherwise. :party-smiley-004:

Ban me if I don't tow the party line. :)

Catastrophe 01-11-2012 09:56 PM

Hey if the laws of the land say you can sue the sponsors and get money, so be it. The sponsors should have known they had exposure.
BUT
Don't bullchit me with the line that its "to make the sport safer"
Its for money.

Can you imagine the manager of Bed Bath Beyond who wanted to push some beach towels that week ??

OOPS.