Like Tree0Likes

Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Reply
Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 AM
  #71
Charter Member
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Ted G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Edgerock Baby!!
My Boats: Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC
Posts: 7,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
How is it that this lawyer is even allowed to represent in this case when he obviously has issues from the past with the promoter in question? That is what bothers me, if the family wants to sue, that is their choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J View Post
Conflict of interest??
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
That was my thought right off the bat.
By nature our legal system is an adversarial one. The only person in the courtroom that needs to be unbiased is the Judge and Jury. The fact that Mike A has long standing issues with John C may just make him work a little harder and dig a little deeper. As I stated before Mike A is exactly the person who should be litigating this from the Gratton family's perspective.
Having said that if his/their actions kill the sport then they will have to live with that. At this point all the rest of us are just spectators.
__________________
Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association
www.cbpba.com
Ted G is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
  #72
Registered
 
Catastrophe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted G View Post
By nature our legal system is an adversarial one. The only person in the courtroom that needs to be unbiased is the Judge and Jury. The fact that Mike A has long standing issues with John C may just make him work a little harder and dig a little deeper. As I stated before Mike A is exactly the person who should be litigating this from the Gratton family's perspective.
Having said that if his/their actions kill the sport then they will have to live with that. At this point all the rest of us are just spectators.
Point taken

BUT

" JUST SPECTATORS" is the whole reason the sport exists.
Catastrophe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
  #73
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member
 
Cash Bar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the way to a PR near you
My Boats: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Conceot CC t/275VRods
Posts: 11,958
Default

That Fla law will have Poker Run sponsors running away as well. Say GOODBYE to the whole Key West experience.

And St. Pete, Jacksonville, Destin, etc.

FARGIN' ICEHOLES
__________________
Your OSO connection to great S. Florida Real Estate.
www.gregsellswaterfront.com
Cash Bar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
  #74
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
BraceYourself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oh
Posts: 1,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
The simple receipt of that letter is enough to turn off a sponsor.
This sport as everyone can see doesnt attract too many multi national corporate sponsors.
When a race comes to town it gets the interest of the local merchant who for 2-5k gets his name on some banners hanging around town.

This whole mess will quickly turn off that tap.
I've been a sponsor to poker runs in the past. I will say I never will again. The hastle to a sponsor of just getting a letter isn't even worth the risk. These events are dangerous in nature.
I never knew about this law. Most sponsors just feel that donating money is an easy way to say thanks. But when thanks turns into lawyers asking for this and that... Well... No thanks.
BraceYourself is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 AM
  #75
Registered
 
Catastrophe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Bar View Post
That Fla law will have Poker Run sponsors running away as well. Say GOODBYE to the whole Key West experience.

And St. Pete, Jacksonville, Destin, etc.

FARGIN' ICEHOLES
This will effect every state and here in Canada.

The internet will make sure of that.

The average merchant wont want to delve into whether their state's law is similar to Florida or not.

Way to much risk.

The ROI for any event sponsor is negligible or zero.

How many plumbing jobs do you think the local guy in KW picked up because he stroked a check for that race ?

Answer.....NONE
Catastrophe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM
  #76
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
rchevelle71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boca Raton
My Boats: 1982 Pantera 24sport
Posts: 7,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted G View Post
By nature our legal system is an adversarial one. The only person in the courtroom that needs to be unbiased is the Judge and Jury. The fact that Mike A has long standing issues with John C may just make him work a little harder and dig a little deeper. As I stated before Mike A is exactly the person who should be litigating this from the Gratton family's perspective.
Having said that if his/their actions kill the sport then they will have to live with that. At this point all the rest of us are just spectators.
Point taken, but just doesnt seem fair to all parties. I agree he is the best person due to his knowledge of offshore racing, but kinda leaves SBI and their insurance co's at a disadvatage.
rchevelle71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM
  #77
Registered
 
PhantomChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bell Canyon, CA
My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45
Posts: 12,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post

How many plumbing jobs do you think the local guy in KW picked up because he stroked a check for that race ?

Answer.....NONE

Don't be so negative! I bet he got his OWN plumbing worked on while having a company paid vacation in Key West watching boat races and tossing back a cocktail.

Mike A didn't write that law! His job is not to enforce the law either......it is to represent his client's interest.
PhantomChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM
  #78
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palm Coast,Florida
My Boats: Activator SVL
Posts: 2,156
Default

Everyone has some valuable insight however in this "fishing expedition" of collecting everyone's insurance policy information, has Mr. Alweiss requested the policy information of Page Motorsports? Did Mr Page require Joey to sign a waiver to race in his team's boat with him? Mr Page states that he attempted to help Joey escape from the cockpit, was Joey kicking or screaming? If not, does that mean that he was unconscious? If he was unconscious, then drowning cant possibly be the only cause of death, he also suffered a head trauma in the event that he possibly was unconscious....

In Mr Page's subsequent car accident on the way home from Key West, what was the response time of EMS? Did they have the "jaws of life" on their truck? Is it required to have the "jaws of life" on their truck? Should they now be sued due to inadequate procedures?

With all of us living in a "spill a cup of coffee on lap and get 2 mil from McDonalds" society, and by the looks of spaghetti lawsuits(throw enough against the wall, something is bound to stick) about to happen, shouldnt everyone involved be named in this lawsuit?

I have tremendous amount of respect for Mr Page and the whole Page Motorsports team, but with Mr Alweiss being allowed to tear down every aspect of pleasure boating here in Florida, does that make it to where certain producers, sponsors, etc are the only targets is right? Remember, we do live in a CYA society as well and with the can of worms being opened by Mr Alweiss, he shouldnt be too selective as to whom he sues or doesnt.

Last edited by F1-00 Racing; 01-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.
F1-00 Racing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
  #79
Registered
 
boatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
My Boats: Sold the Cig
Posts: 4,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
Mike A didn't write that law! His job is not to enforce the law either......it is to represent his client's interest.
I disagree, he is making it his job to exploit the issue because the law says he can. He does NOT have to do anything
boatme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
  #80
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
ActiveThunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida
Posts: 3,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme View Post
I sat in a mediation for our suit, and all the discussion was how much money that each insurance company would toss in the pot, and how much each company was willing to SETTLE FOR. Our suit total award was over 8 million I believe, and it was paid by more than one insurance company it was a cumulative total of all that were dragged into the process. Do not kid yourself, this is about the money!
Hey, Marc. Did they literally name all the sponsors as well? I know we've gone over this before but I don't think I ever asked you that particular question.
ActiveThunder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.