Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Baptism By Bass Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/268677-baptism-bass-boat.html)

PhantomChaos 01-12-2012 10:19 AM

Baptism By Bass Boat

Written by Dennis Y. Earle
Sunday, 13 March 2011

Forget separation of church and state. In the small Tennessee town of Soddy-Daisy, the bigger issue is separation of church and recreational resources

At the center of the controversy is the use of a public boat ramp by both boaters launching their craft and churchgoers wishing to baptize the faithful.

Apparently on Friday, July 4, a local church decided to hold baptism services at the public ramp for approximately 40 people. While the birthing of new Christians was taking place, an unidentified man with a boat to launch became impatient and put it in the water. His sin drew the wrath of at least one of the anointed, who apparently called police. Officers declined to cite the misguided soul.

While the decision that a church wishing to perform baptisms at a public boat launch will first have to contact city hall was unanimous, officials had differing views on multiple-use natural resources.

"I think it's real rude to do something like that," Soddy-Daisy Commissioner Geno Shipley told chattanoogan.com, adding that perhaps there should be a sign stating that boaters should respect baptism services and wait until they are finished.

City Attorney Sam Elliott noted the ramp is one of only a few in the area for public use, and suggested churches limit baptisms to 30 minutes or pick a time when boaters are less likely to use the ramp.

Last Updated ( Sunday, 13 March 2011 )

JFC!!! :evilb::evilb::evilb::evilb:

CigDaze 01-12-2012 10:24 AM

To hell with 'em all. :evilb:

It's called a boat ramp, not a baptism ramp.

And I wonder what the tow rating is on the church van? SRW or DRW? 40 people is a lot. Hopefully they only went a short distance and took it easy.

:D

Sydwayz 01-12-2012 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 3591899)
To hell with 'em all. :evilb:

It's called a boat ramp, not a baptism ramp.

And I wonder what the tow rating is on the church van? SRW or DRW? 40 people is a lot. Hopefully they only went a short distance and took it easy.

:D

I bet 'dem 'dere (particular) Tennesseans could make a song about WD Hitch to the tune of Red Solo Cup. I caught the last hour of Slingblade last night. It's funny how all things seem intertwined. :D

Tom A. 01-12-2012 10:59 AM

I don't launch my boat at church.....

LMAO at the mental picture of a church van backing itself into the boat ramp for a dunk!

glenncal1 01-12-2012 11:01 AM

There is no beach for these baptisms?:gfight:

BajaFresh 01-12-2012 11:02 AM

I'm an atheist but fully support right for anybody to practice their religion.......just not at the focking boat ramp!

It's bad enough when the idiots back their boat down the ramp and then start prepping and loading coolers and stuff.

Too bad somebody with a squirt boat didn't come by. They could have trimmed up their diverter and doused the whole lot of them at once! :eek: :D

Wasted Income 01-12-2012 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 3591944)
I don't launch my boat at church.....

Hahahaha. Good point.

Who thought it was a good idea to clog up the BOAT ramp on 4th of july weekend....:lolhit:

mike tkach 01-12-2012 11:12 AM

how dare him to expect that he can use the public boat launch to ,LAUNCH HIS BOAT:lolhit::lolhit:.what is wrong with these moron,s,try doing a baptism at maybe, A CHURCH.

RebarBox 01-12-2012 11:14 AM

With the little trailer tilt and the right angle, he could have baptised the whole group in less than 10 seconds.:party-smiley-004:

TCBoss302 01-12-2012 01:00 PM

:picard1: Only in Soddy-me-Daisy, about 10 miles from Chattanooga........