Like Tree0Likes

drive spacers/cleaner water/slip

Old 06-21-2002, 03:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: fuel injection, superchargers

Try some IMCO lowers, have had great luck with them and if they don't work for you they are very saleable.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Registered

My Boats: 38 Jupiter CC, Miss GEICO
Default Interesting

Wow...If I could get rid of the pickups on the bullit I know I would definatley pick up speed. I'm going to make a call. Treadwell, I'm going to try a little of your speed cote this weekend. keep your fingers crossed.

Cat- Probably not a flaw performance wise but they look like ****. especially for all that dough (aesthetics do count). look at the lower in june-Hotboat (pg 108) and you will see what I mean. Looks like chicken pox, Polka dots.

Maximus
Old 06-21-2002, 03:25 PM
Registered

My Boats: '97 Scarb Thunder, '06 Formula 330ss for sale
Default Max

Max- I'm pretty sure what you are referring too is a form of corrosion which will happen to any raw aluminum product, even in fresh water to an extent.

Imco does offer painted versions too. If merc's is raw aluminum it will also corrode in time. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me. You may want to look into that and clear coat them next chance if that's the case- (no pun intended). Good luck!
Old 06-21-2002, 05:53 PM
Registered

My Boats: 38 Jupiter CC, Miss GEICO
Default yes but

your right that happens with all aluminum, but the putty spots, two different colors of oxidation???Not on the Merc product. My friend has a brand new 36 daytona. the best of everything...and filler spots. In person it looks funky. Lake water you can keep them shiny(r).

Paint and clear wont stay on over 100mph....will it?

Maximus
Old 06-21-2002, 06:21 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 Spectre 36' Poker Run

Quote:
Originally posted by Treadwellmotorsports
actually you would put the water pickup in front of the steps so you get clean water. no you will not lose speed from itTreadwell
Tread - Maybe you just answered my problem! I'm running a twin step cat that I'm having trouble pulling in water on the starboard transom pickup during an extended high speed run. Should I put pickups on the front step, the rear step, ??? What kind of pick-up would I use?

Sorry for getting off topic, but I just had to ask. I've been looking for an answer for some time!!!!!
Old 06-21-2002, 06:34 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 PANTERA SURVIVOR

depends on how flat the cat run's. uassally on a cat you put the pickup's on the trim tabs. best place for clean water. try there or put it in front of all the steps and run a large sea strainer. in all honesty on a cat they are all diffrent. just takes a little time to R & D. best place is most likley tabs. drill a hole at the end of the tab and plumb it from there.

max.

if you spray the hyspeedkote on the drives they will not corrode. problem solved. when you test your boat you may not be able to see speed increase because it's getting hotter an everday you lose a little. but drive it for a while, take it through the paces. even go in rough water. i promise you will fell a diffrence there. it will land softer, handle better and give you better gas milage at the very least. email me if you have any questions over the weekend. rermember to follow the directions to a tee or it will not work. also spray tabs.

Treadwell
Old 06-21-2002, 06:41 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 Spectre 36' Poker Run
Thumbs up Thanks Tread!!

Sounds like I've got some work to do.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:31 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

Man JR you have been trying to solve that issue for a while. I would have never thought about the tabs but man it does make a lot of sence!!!!
Old 06-22-2002, 01:08 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 35' Fountain

Dan,
Are you thinking you need spacers because Pat raised the X dimension higher than on other 37's he has done or strictly because of the slip numbers? Has AT put lager power than 500's in the 37' before? What is the top speed Pat has gotten out of a 37' so far? I wonder if it is the hydrodynamics of the gear case that is causing your high slip numbers. With a little time your boat should be flying.

Dan
Old 06-22-2002, 02:25 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

The spots on the imco are welded up holes that are there from core support. The core is made of sand or wax and after casting it is removed through the holes.They are sand cast and not dye cast. The holes are welded shut after casting and before heatreating.
Audio, bottom pick ups are the best with accumilators(sea strainers). If you pull the tabs up or forget to put them down you will be looking for a good bilge cleaner. Lack of lube (water) and no more rubber impeller, it takes a nano second. Remember there are turns.
good luck.
pat W