Saltwater Drowning Named Cause of Death for Morgan and Tillman >

Saltwater Drowning Named Cause of Death for Morgan and Tillman

Notices

Saltwater Drowning Named Cause of Death for Morgan and Tillman

Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brivander
You aren't legally responsible if you try to help someone and make a mistake in theory...that's the problem, it makes you think about it.

Good.
Samaritan.
Law.

And I don't know if that law is in effect in Florida or not...

EDIT: http://www.floridamalpractice.com/stat768.13.htm

Either way this is sad that drowning was the cause, prayers go out to the families.
The good samaritan law was in effect in Florida last I heard when I took a STCW course in 2009. They also said in the course I took that there has never been an instance where someone trying to save or rescue someone has been sued by the victim where the case had been successful.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
They also said in the course I took that there has never been an instance where someone trying to save or rescue someone has been sued by the victim where the case had been successful.
The case might not be successful, but it could rip you apart for a few years while they jack with you. The time and emotion that goes into defending yourself, along with the actual cost of it, makes it pretty easy to look the other way and not help, as sorry as that sounds. If your insurance company defends you, hold onto your hat at the time of renewal!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CigDaze
All 3 men who perished in KW died from Drowning.

http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...d-tillman.html
I have a simple way of responding to this post at this point..
Respectfully, you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
At this time in reading this article over and over again, I only see the results of "2"(two) not "All 3"

May all of our prayers go out to the Morgan and Tillman families. Also as well, the Gratton family. This is sad time in offshore and hopefully, us, the racers, will learn from these tragedies and implement them in the future.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
I have a simple way of responding to this post at this point..

At this time in reading this article over and over again, I only see the results of "2"(two) not "All 3"

May all of our prayers go out to the Morgan and Tillman families. Also as well, the Gratton family. This is sad time in offshore and hopefully, us, the racers, will learn from these tragedies and implement them in the future.
I'm asking you because you race and for no other reason.

I appreciate your input from your angle.

Question

Does everyone have to pass a dunk test ?

If you dont pass the test do you get a second or third shot at it ?

If in the end you dont pass, does anyone have the discretionary decission powers to let you race ?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, you may have missed this from Dec. 9th:

"He drowned waiting to be rescued by people on the rescue boat who were not adequately, competently trained as first-responders."
http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...rnational.html

Absolutely!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT Bob and JT... Please respect them and NOT tie it to the Gratton Fiasco.. THIS IS NOT the same accident, background, cause or anything other than they were racing in Key West and something very bad happened....

As you can tell, I am passionate and protective of my friends and their families.

Bob was truly one of the best people I have ever met and been associated with... He loved racing and everything that went with the lifestyle. It will be years before people will learn of the total impact of his loss... RIP

Last edited by bajaholic; 01-19-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry, you may have missed this from Dec. 9th:

"He drowned waiting to be rescued by people on the rescue boat who were not adequately, competently trained as first-responders."
http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...rnational.html

Absolutely!
Sorry Cig, I didnt miss it at all, the article that you quoted above was a person's opinion not an official autopsy report from the Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office. Here attached is the whole quote from which you take your reference from:

“One of the most of upsetting things about this entire scenario is that Joey Gratton would absolutely, positively be alive today but for the gross negligence of SBI,” said Allweiss. “Joey Gratton didn’t die ‘of injuries sustained in the crash,’ as (SBI head) John Carbonell has said. He had no injuries. He drowned waiting to be rescued by people on the rescue boat who were not adequately, competently trained as first-responders. It took three and a half minutes for the trained divers in the helicopter to deploy after the crash. I have been told that’s because the divers in the angel ship (helicopter) were told they were to act as second responders and to allow the personnel in the rescue boats to act as first responders.”

This might be the basis of his lawsuit that hasnt been filed at this point and time, but neither the Examiners Office, nor the results of the investigation been released, nor has it been proven in a court of law yet. However, I am not saying that this wont be the result, but it has not been released to the public as the results of the Big Thunder tragedy have been now. What you have is merely an opinion from an attorney that was put out in the court of "Public Opinion" before an actual case has been even filed. I am sure Trulio will release it when it becomes factual, just like he did in this instance.

Cig your a good guy, we have talked privately in the past when you were a moderator on SOS and everything went smooth. I have nothing against you and do not wish to continue in going tit for tat in this situation. We can go forward and agree to disagree, but keep in mind I am a facts oriented person. As my history on here has shown, I am far from perfect and have been wrong on numerous occasions, but I am the first to step up and admit it when I am and have learned from those mistakes to do my homework before I post.

I am sickened by the loss of 3 of our friends and reminds me of those we lost in the past as well. May they never be forgotten and that we "the racers" take ownership of our own circumstances and not point fingers and try to place blame. Big Thunder was and always will be a class act. They will always be in hearts as we progress through life, just as Joey will be...
Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT Bob and JT... Please respect them and NOT tie it to the Gratton Fiasco.. THIS IS NOT the same accident, background, cause or anything other than they were racing in Key West and something very bad happened....

As you can tell, I am passionate and protective of my friends and their families.

Bob was truly one of the best people I have ever met and been associated with... He loved racing and everything that went with the lifestyle. It will be years before people will learn of the total impact of his loss... RIP
+1
Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+2
Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic

I dont understand this comment.
No one is disrespecting any of the racers here.

We all know that those that lost their lives or got injured that week loved what they did and were bastions of the sport.

The elephant in the room is the organization and enactment of the safety practices of SBI.

I find the discourse on both threads very civil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.