Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This crash is not the same.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by E Colby
I covered offshore in the late 1990s for Powerboat and that boat was competing at that time time as Nuff Respect with Bobby Moore on the throttles.
That was Bob's first 4 engine boat, that he purchased from Jim Robinson, it is now owned by Don Onken of Onken Racing and Lightining Performance, i also believe it is in the classifieds, i think it is circa 96. Bob won the worlds with that boat in 98 and also set the avg. lap or race speed record ( not sure if it still holds or not).

The boat in the accident this year was commisioned new by Bob from Peter I believe in 2000 or 01 and has remained in his stable every since..

and on a different note..... Damm u Eric Colby!!! if it were not for you and powerboat mag. (no internet forums back then) I may just have been content cruising LOTO in my velocity....I however purchased a 28 Skater from Bob and entered my first race in 97 ...lol
Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Sorry Cig, I didnt miss it at all, the article that you quoted above was a person's opinion not an official autopsy report from the Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office. Here attached is the whole quote from which you take your reference from:

“One of the most of upsetting things about this entire scenario is that Joey Gratton would absolutely, positively be alive today but for the gross negligence of SBI,” said Allweiss. “Joey Gratton didn’t die ‘of injuries sustained in the crash,’ as (SBI head) John Carbonell has said. He had no injuries. He drowned waiting to be rescued by people on the rescue boat who were not adequately, competently trained as first-responders. It took three and a half minutes for the trained divers in the helicopter to deploy after the crash. I have been told that’s because the divers in the angel ship (helicopter) were told they were to act as second responders and to allow the personnel in the rescue boats to act as first responders.”

This might be the basis of his lawsuit that hasnt been filed at this point and time, but neither the Examiners Office, nor the results of the investigation been released, nor has it been proven in a court of law yet. However, I am not saying that this wont be the result, but it has not been released to the public as the results of the Big Thunder tragedy have been now. What you have is merely an opinion from an attorney that was put out in the court of "Public Opinion" before an actual case has been even filed. I am sure Trulio will release it when it becomes factual, just like he did in this instance.

Cig your a good guy, we have talked privately in the past when you were a moderator on SOS and everything went smooth. I have nothing against you and do not wish to continue in going tit for tat in this situation. We can go forward and agree to disagree, but keep in mind I am a facts oriented person. As my history on here has shown, I am far from perfect and have been wrong on numerous occasions, but I am the first to step up and admit it when I am and have learned from those mistakes to do my homework before I post.

I am sickened by the loss of 3 of our friends and reminds me of those we lost in the past as well. May they never be forgotten and that we "the racers" take ownership of our own circumstances and not point fingers and try to place blame. Big Thunder was and always will be a class act. They will always be in hearts as we progress through life, just as Joey will be...
So be it.

The feeling's mutual; no ill will, and we're good.

But further to the previous, let me add this:
"The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner also confirmed the official cause of death as drowning..."
http://m.naplesnews.com/news/2011/de...cer-and-naple/
Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 AM
JBS
Registered

Default Race in peace

Does this post really need to be here-it's sort of like stating the obvious and rubbing salt into the already incredibly painful wounds.race in peace
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM
psi
Registered

Originally Posted by JBS
Does this post really need to be here-it's sort of like stating the obvious and rubbing salt into the already incredibly painful wounds.race in peace
Extremely sad...I still cant believe it happened....everytime I set foot in my boat and wanna push the edge of the envelope I think of them....has made a tremendous impact...Rest in peace guys!!! You guys and the BIG THUNDER Boat will be missed sincerely!!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
I dont understand this comment.
No one is disrespecting any of the racers here.

We all know that those that lost their lives or got injured that week loved what they did and were bastions of the sport.

The elephant in the room is the organization and enactment of the safety practices of SBI.

I find the discourse on both threads very civil.
I would agree everybody is being civil. I think talking about it can prevent future accidents and death. I know when people die everybody wants to be hush hush at times but. But ignoring the facts at times is not the best thing to do.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
But further to the previous, let me add this:
"The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner also confirmed the official cause of death as drowning..."
http://m.naplesnews.com/news/2011/de...cer-and-naple/
I assume that this Medical Examiner has made the final rulling on the cause of death (drowning) which would also lead me to be furious with the race official(s) and their current rules. If I was a racer, I would demand or the rules be damned...stop and try to help any accident victum until medics arrived or anyone arrived more qualified than I am. Another thing that would be good is for all racers to have an emergency radio with only one channel in the radio so that any racer could announce a crash and then everyone slow down by choice and not as a requirement...even to the point of coming to a complete stop. Maybe it is different in boat racers, but drag racers are all friends...on the track or off the track and they do whatever is needed at the time to help each other. The crash response times are equivelent to a week in difference between drag racer crash personnel and boat crash personnel...to me...totally unacceptable in response time for the boat racers. I dont know either of the guys that crashed, but it does make me just as sick knowing that they died from drowning as it did when one of my friends died last year from cancer. I think the boat racers should all ban together and tell that clown that made the "no stop to help ruling" that there will be no more races by any of the racers, unless the rulling is changed so that they can possibly help and that they have more response time people on the course. Winning a race is not more important than possibly saving your friend's life...is it??
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by pslonaker
I assume
With all due respect... PLEASE TAKE YOUR COMMENTS TO THE "OTHER" thread. There is numerous people there that will be more than willing to explain in better terms as to why you appear to be misguided.

I digress... Your lack of knowledge in the aspects of boat racing is making you look like a 4th grade science student trying to argue the law of physics to a college professor of engineering. Most of your "bright ideas", are already in place, others make no sence at all in regards to the overall safety of an event...

Here is an example:. Swimmers crossing a channel to get to a emergency situation boat. How many of those people themselves will become targets of the next boat in line that cannot see them and/or how many of them will become victims of drowning trying to get there because they have no flotation device, don't know the current and may overestimate their ability to swim in the first place... Ya That makes for a good call....

Many of us that are posting have been involved in the Racing circuit, rather it Be OSS, APBA, SBI etc. In my case we were a Patrol Boat. Once you participate in an event as a "asset" then you will know what goes on and will be qualified to give an educated opinion. Until then, I recommend you sit back and learn before you make such matter of fact statements. JMHO
Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One point I dont understand and I'm sure someone here can chime in and educate us.....canopies.

We are discussing what should or shouldnt happen in the event of an unfortunate incident.

We havent discussed what should happen before a boat is allowed to race.

Here is the part I dont understand.

In the SBI rulebook under the section re canopies it gives a phone number to clarify what they deem eligible.
Not much of anything in writing.

It does state though that all boats built subsequent to 2004 have a certain construction criteria in the canopy.

It does not reference boats built previous to 2004.

Who makes the call on " grandfathered boats " ??

And if they do allow a boat to race that doesnt have the canopy that they are looking for in 2004 and current boats......why ????

I also cant find the definitive rules re the dunk tank test.

Are there any ?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
With all due respect... PLEASE TAKE YOUR COMMENTS TO THE "OTHER" thread. There is numerous people there that will be more than willing to explain in better terms as to why you appear to be misguided.

I digress... Your lack of knowledge in the aspects of boat racing is making you look like a 4th grade science student trying to argue the law of physics to a college professor of engineering. Most of your "bright ideas", are already in place, others make no sence at all in regards to the overall safety of an event...

Here is an example:. Swimmers crossing a channel to get to a emergency situation boat. How many of those people themselves will become targets of the next boat in line that cannot see them and/or how many of them will become victims of drowning trying to get there because they have no flotation device, don't know the current and may overestimate their ability to swim in the first place... Ya That makes for a good call....

Many of us that are posting have been involved in the Racing circuit, rather it Be OSS, APBA, SBI etc. In my case we were a Patrol Boat. Once you participate in an event as a "asset" then you will know what goes on and will be qualified to give an educated opinion. Until then, I recommend you sit back and learn before you make such matter of fact statements. JMHO
You should go back and read what I said...and read it carefully so that you understand WHAT you have read, before you start whinning about something that you THINK I have said...then not elborate on it when you try to make something of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.