Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need advice: seller-financed classic boat purchase (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/269034-need-advice-seller-financed-classic-boat-purchase.html)

Skullkrusher 01-21-2012 10:23 AM

I don't understand this whole thread. In your original post you say the negotiated price is $25k cash. Sounds like you already made a deal and now you want to change it. Why would seller trust you now? You don't want to put anything down?The seller would have to be a fool. A buyer could tear that boat up in one weekend, strip it, move out of state etc. (See the thread on what Dominic put the King's through on the OL).
Your wife would be upset over 5k down? How's she gonna feel if you blow a motor or drive?
You should probably reconsider this and see what your cash position is after the home purchase.

dave911 01-21-2012 10:26 AM

Appreciate the advice. Being very honest, my better half is very frugal, which has kept our finances in good shape. With a tribe of little kids, and one income, the only way I'm getting a boat now, is if the stars line up and the seller finances over a longer period..which will keep payments in what I consider "discretionary" level. $250 is not a problem. $500 will require some lengthy "my dream of boating with the family" discussions. Anything over that, and my own internal CFO will balk. Also, just because a bank will lend you money, that doesn't necessarily mean you can / should afford it. Just look where our great country is today because of loose lending standards and lack of foresight. It makes much more financial sense for me to get a great seller financed deal, then to give the banks their government backed loan shark level interest payments. Wow. I'm ranting. Anyway, I'm sure all meant well. My glass is always full, not half full, and certainly never half empty. Cheers d911

wjb21ndtown 01-25-2012 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by dave911 (Post 3598285)
Appreciate the advice. Being very honest, my better half is very frugal, which has kept our finances in good shape. With a tribe of little kids, and one income, the only way I'm getting a boat now, is if the stars line up and the seller finances over a longer period..which will keep payments in what I consider "discretionary" level. $250 is not a problem. $500 will require some lengthy "my dream of boating with the family" discussions. Anything over that, and my own internal CFO will balk. Also, just because a bank will lend you money, that doesn't necessarily mean you can / should afford it. Just look where our great country is today because of loose lending standards and lack of foresight. It makes much more financial sense for me to get a great seller financed deal, then to give the banks their government backed loan shark level interest payments. Wow. I'm ranting. Anyway, I'm sure all meant well. My glass is always full, not half full, and certainly never half empty. Cheers d911

How'd it turn out for you?

dave911 01-25-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown (Post 3601561)
How'd it turn out for you?

No luck yet. I'd pay the $25k if the terms were right, but he wants a premium for carrying. Can't blame him, but I think he'll soften over the next couple weeks. I'll update when / if deal goes through. D911

Downtown42 01-26-2012 07:01 AM

Premium? You mean higher interest rate? Can you disclose the terms?