Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy) >

Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Like Tree2Likes

Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Old 01-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post
You say 100mph and you have a bravo drive for lack of a better word, that drive has 1.5:1 gears in it I assume and you want to turn the engine 6,000 rpm and make 400 hp BUT now you have 500 hp and only go 93 mph - how are you getting to 100mph?

I'm not being smart azz just what I think you said doesn't add up to faster, in fact a lot slower in my mind?
I am putting 2 in 1 boat with 2 drives...
Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post
What bothers you about the pistons?

I don't know your engine but I have a few piston questions for you if you don't mind let's start with liners or not and if liners: is the liner is used as the compressor seal or not?
that the top will come off.
I'll ask my tech guy about the liners.

I know they are oil cooled
Old 01-22-2012, 05:08 PM
bor
Registered

My Boat: 2016 Predator C306 ,2010 phantom 21 ls2 406 560hp IMCO -3" shorty 1989 hustler 32le cmd 320 hp diesel SOLD

Originally Posted by diesel2fast4u View Post
Donnors are Mercedes 320 CDI 6 inline

Powergoal = 400 HP (half the weight of a Chevy BB)
Max 6000 RPM
Turbo's are watercooled VGT from garrett & can make 230HP a piece.
I have found a genius who is doing the programming.
The ECU is develloped here in Belgium.

I am putting 2 of them in one off my boats (raffshore F1) with Bravo 1 XZ & imco lowers
Interesting project !!

What's the weight if they are fully marine ?
I love the diesels ,convert a 32 hustler to 2 cmd 4.2 liters making 320 each with exaly the vm motori engines mercruiser uses .

it get out of the hole just as it would have 2 454's but soon as the turbo's kick in you have to hold on !!

Did the 28 sonic end up in the netherlands ?
a friend of mine had one here

good luck and will follow the thread !!

BOR
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

My Boat: 2009 37 Spectre Diesel CC

around 3 bar, don't know about the piston speed, I'll ask the genie

Engine bore & stroke = 88 mm 88.3 mm (3.46 in 3.48 in)
Capacity 3.2 litre (196.619 cu in)

The yanmars can be easily tuned. they mechanical or electronic?
The yanmars have mechanical injection as far as i know but there are some electronic engine controls the RPMs won't go any higher than 3862, kind of an odd number for it to be mechanical only.

I did some mean piston speed calcs based on the rpm's Cummins lets its 350hp V8 spin to (4600rpm avg piston speed 14.66 m/s) and for the Yanmar the same piston speed results in a permissible speed of 4400 RPM (gives me 14.64 m/s).

I have the second generation 6LP 315hp engines, i was told that the turbo from gen 1 is larger and will bolt on to the gen 2 engines. I want to boost up the RPM and HP slightly so I can change to 1.36 drives and still turn my 26" Bravo 1 props, which should get me in the mid to upper 60's, right now with 1.5 drives and 3800 rpm i am stuck at the magic diesel top speed of 53mph.

I don't really plan on riding around at 65mph beating the hell out the engines but it will lift my cruise speeds by 10 mph or so. I am doing 35mph at 2700 rpm and 45 mph at 3300 rpm give or take depending on conditions, and averaging 2.5 mpg!

cool project you are working on looking forward to seeing how it turns out. One of these days I would like to take some S65 AMG motors and put them in a Skater, love the Benz products!

I know the intercooler makes a huge improvement in power output, the toyota landcruiser engines the yanmars start life as only make 170hp. With the unlimited supply of water they are making almost double that and still run forever.

I also had the pleasure of having a nice chat with Habana Joe about my setup and he really does have a tremendous amount of knowledge.

here is where I found the piston speed formula http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_piston_speed

so for your setup at 6000 rpm it equals 17.66m/s

Last edited by pstorti; 01-22-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

My Boat: 32 SeaCraft

that the top will come off.
I'll ask my tech guy about the liners.

I know they are oil cooled
Are these 2 peice pistons or a bi-metal bonded pistons that would make you think the top would come off? That seems like an odd concern but I don't know your pistons?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bor View Post
Interesting project !!

What's the weight if they are fully marine ?
I love the diesels ,convert a 32 hustler to 2 cmd 4.2 liters making 320 each with exaly the vm motori engines mercruiser uses .

it get out of the hole just as it would have 2 454's but soon as the turbo's kick in you have to hold on !!

Did the 28 sonic end up in the netherlands ?
a friend of mine had one here

good luck and will follow the thread !!

BOR
I've thought about using the VM/Cummins engines a couple times, but I've never heard anything good about them. I've heard bad things, but never from someone who's actually used them.. Any feedback on reliability would be great, thanks.

Sorry for the hi jack..
Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed View Post
I've thought about using the VM/Cummins engines a couple times, but I've never heard anything good about them. I've heard bad things, but never from someone who's actually used them.. Any feedback on reliability would be great, thanks.

Sorry for the hi jack..
I don't know the newer engines.

The first onces : A NIGHTMARE, had alot of them broken at our shop, last one had the hole the size of my head in the block and there were sticking things out that should turn normally
Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pstorti View Post
The yanmars have mechanical injection as far as i know but there are some electronic engine controls the RPMs won't go any higher than 3862, kind of an odd number for it to be mechanical only.

I did some mean piston speed calcs based on the rpm's Cummins lets its 350hp V8 spin to (4600rpm avg piston speed 14.66 m/s) and for the Yanmar the same piston speed results in a permissible speed of 4400 RPM (gives me 14.64 m/s).

I have the second generation 6LP 315hp engines, i was told that the turbo from gen 1 is larger and will bolt on to the gen 2 engines. I want to boost up the RPM and HP slightly so I can change to 1.36 drives and still turn my 26" Bravo 1 props, which should get me in the mid to upper 60's, right now with 1.5 drives and 3800 rpm i am stuck at the magic diesel top speed of 53mph.

I don't really plan on riding around at 65mph beating the hell out the engines but it will lift my cruise speeds by 10 mph or so. I am doing 35mph at 2700 rpm and 45 mph at 3300 rpm give or take depending on conditions, and averaging 2.5 mpg!

cool project you are working on looking forward to seeing how it turns out. One of these days I would like to take some S65 AMG motors and put them in a Skater, love the Benz products!

I know the intercooler makes a huge improvement in power output, the toyota landcruiser engines the yanmars start life as only make 170hp. With the unlimited supply of water they are making almost double that and still run forever.

I also had the pleasure of having a nice chat with Habana Joe about my setup and he really does have a tremendous amount of knowledge.

here is where I found the piston speed formula http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_piston_speed

so for your setup at 6000 rpm it equals 17.66m/s
Is it a rotary pump or inline? You need a dieselpump goeroe to tune the pump & other nozzles. Monitor EGT to make sure you don't melt your pistons.
Bigger turbo mayby but without more fuel your turbo won't do ( I think )
With a bigger turbo watch out with lag ...
Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM
bor
Registered

My Boat: 2016 Predator C306 ,2010 phantom 21 ls2 406 560hp IMCO -3" shorty 1989 hustler 32le cmd 320 hp diesel SOLD

I don't know the newer engines.

The first onces : A NIGHTMARE, had alot of them broken at our shop, last one had the hole the size of my head in the block and there were sticking things out that should turn normally

I have seen a lot of the mechanical ones whit 5000 to 8000 hrs still running strong ,mine are 2007 common rail and could,t refuse the offer I bought them new in the crate for a thirty of the cost normal .

I haven't find any users either also had some install issues whit the smart craft vessel view and gauges what nobody could solve till last month I finally got some one that helped me out !

But the run very nice and strong but only have 45 hrs on them so c'ant tell anything about how the do it on the long term .

bor
Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Registered

I would love to put a diesel in a boat I owned. I have had a couple good running diesel's myself and am a member of diesel race team. Also big fan of the inline 6...Cummins myself not the same as you but same concept you have. I had a nasty triple turbo setup that supports 1000HP at 2000CFM, the shop that built them just released a bigger set that flows 3800CFM. And make 4 pounds at 1300 RPM's so they are ready to go...
Big set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EBTU-hbzys
My set

My kit used 3 50mm gates two on the manifold and one at the end of the intermediate pipe. I ran 90 pounds of boost through this motor hundreds of times on just H-11's. The drive pressure was much lower than boost pressure. I am not a fan of running true twins and splitting the cylinders myself, I would compound it.

Last edited by JD Dearden; 01-23-2012 at 01:03 PM.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser