Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy) >

Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Like Tree2Likes

Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Reply

Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 PM
  #41
bor
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
bor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: uithoorn,the netherlands
My Boat: 2016 Predator C306 ,2010 phantom 21 ls2 406 560hp IMCO -3" shorty 1989 hustler 32le cmd 320 hp diesel SOLD
Posts: 711
Unhappy

Originally Posted by JD Dearden View Post
I would love to put a diesel in a boat I owned. I have had a couple good running diesel's myself and am a member of diesel race team. Also big fan of the inline 6...Cummins myself not the same as you but same concept you have. I had a nasty triple turbo setup that supports 1000HP at 2000CFM, the shop that built them just released a bigger set that flows 3800CFM. And make 4 pounds at 1300 RPM's so they are ready to go...
Big set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EBTU-hbzys
My set


My kit used 3 50mm gates two on the manifold and one at the end of the intermediate pipe. I ran 90 pounds of boost through this motor hundreds of times on just H-11's. The drive pressure was much lower than boost pressure.
that's a total different engine and is a real cummins not a vm motori ,but love it also drive it every day in my 2500 ram whit lots of pleasure !! but the qsb was to big and heavy for my boat.

triple set is insane ! friend of mine have a dual set up and it s pulling real hard , i just have a smarty
bor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
  #42
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 350
Default

Originally Posted by bor View Post
that's a total different engine and is a real cummins not a vm motori ,but love it also drive it every day in my 2500 ram whit lots of pleasure !! but the qsb was to big and heavy for my boat.

triple set is insane ! friend of mine have a dual set up and it s pulling real hard , i just have a smarty
I got a little ahead of myself and went back and saw the size of that motor....If I was going to do this I would use a duramax. The team I am on just put a 7.0 in the rail that is internally balanced.

Not trying to derail here I just love talking diesels....
JD Dearden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM
  #43
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 121
Default

Originally Posted by JD Dearden View Post
I would love to put a diesel in a boat I owned. I have had a couple good running diesel's myself and am a member of diesel race team. Also big fan of the inline 6...Cummins myself not the same as you but same concept you have. I had a nasty triple turbo setup that supports 1000HP at 2000CFM, the shop that built them just released a bigger set that flows 3800CFM. And make 4 pounds at 1300 RPM's so they are ready to go...
Big set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EBTU-hbzys
My set


My kit used 3 50mm gates two on the manifold and one at the end of the intermediate pipe. I ran 90 pounds of boost through this motor hundreds of times on just H-11's. The drive pressure was much lower than boost pressure. I am not a fan of running true twins and splitting the cylinders myself, I would compound it.
Respect
my engines wouldn't stand the EMP
I had a twin turbo dodge ram... I couldn't find a drive that the cummins wouldn't eat
diesel2fast4u is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM
  #44
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Steve 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beautiful Fort Lauderdale www.cheetahcat.com
My Boat: Slippery when wet!
Posts: 10,833
Default

As I understand this truck had stock 5.9 parts in the bottom end for a long while.


[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGTKKXK4og[/YOUTUBE]
Steve 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 PM
  #45
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arlington Tx
Posts: 9,373
Default

"...I had a twin turbo dodge ram... I couldn't find a drive that the cummins wouldn't eat."


All the stock light duty diesel transmissions will fail much beyond a 100hp increase.
Catmando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 AM
  #46
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 121
Default

Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
"...I had a twin turbo dodge ram... I couldn't find a drive that the cummins wouldn't eat."


All the stock light duty diesel transmissions will fail much beyond a 100hp increase.
no, HP doesn't kill bravo's, torque does

For everybody who tunes in now and didn't read everything :-)

Reason's why I chose mercedes:

1. I am putting 2 in 1 boat so seize does matter as it is a 23 FT
2. I don't want a diesel that makes 1000 NM at 2200 RPM (cubic inch = torque) so that's why I decided for a 3,2L
3. Weight
4. Availability (here in Europe)
5. Reliability
6. Proven to be HP hungry

Last edited by diesel2fast4u; 01-24-2012 at 12:59 AM.
diesel2fast4u is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 AM
  #47
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia S.C.
My Boat: Boatless! Time to start shopping.
Posts: 1,443
Default

Great thread guys! Keep the posts coming!
bulletbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 AM
  #48
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 350
Default

Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
As I understand this truck had stock 5.9 parts in the bottom end for a long while.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGTKKXK4og
No that truck has a built Scheid motor that makes about 1600 HP on diesel fuel. Absolutly nothing stock about it.
JD Dearden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
  #49
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Steve 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beautiful Fort Lauderdale www.cheetahcat.com
My Boat: Slippery when wet!
Posts: 10,833
Default

Originally Posted by JD Dearden View Post
No that truck has a built Scheid motor that makes about 1600 HP on diesel fuel. Absolutly nothing stock about it.
I realise he has built a new motor and a LOT of way cool stuff,the first motor according to people that know him, said it had a stock crank ,rods and pistons.
Steve 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 PM
  #50
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Miami Beach
My Boat: 2009 37 Spectre Diesel CC
Posts: 2,131
Default

Originally Posted by JD Dearden View Post
No that truck has a built Scheid motor that makes about 1600 HP on diesel fuel. Absolutly nothing stock about it.
that is one fast truck!!! is the entire drivetrain modified also?
pstorti is offline  
Reply With Quote

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser