Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy) >

Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Like Tree2Likes

Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
I realise he has built a new motor and a LOT of way cool stuff,the first motor according to people that know him, said it had a stock crank ,rods and pistons.
Not sure on that, first time I saw the truck in person was back in 2006 or so in Houston and it had a Scheid motor than. Prior to that I am not sure, most race trucks gradually progress into form so I am sure it was "stock" at some point. The cummins bottom end is good to about 1000hp, assuming all the other parts hang.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pstorti View Post
that is one fast truck!!! is the entire drivetrain modified also?
Yes it has a four link system, drag racing a 4X4 is a pain in the ass. Last summer it ran a high 8 in the 1/4.

Last edited by JD Dearden; 01-24-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: Slippery when wet!

Originally Posted by JD Dearden View Post
Not sure on that, first time I saw the truck in person was back in 2006 or so in Houston and it had a Scheid motor than. Prior to that I am not sure, most race trucks gradually progress into form so I am sure it was "stock" at some point. The cummins bottom end is good to about 1000hp, assuming all the other parts hang.
That was in one of the Dodge Forums ,I go sometimes for information, spinning the front wheels 3/4 of the way down is impressive.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
That was in one of the Dodge Forums ,I go sometimes for information, spinning the front wheels 3/4 of the way down is impressive.
Cummins forum? Is a wealth of misinformation. Spinning the front 3/4 down sucks....But yes impressive.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Registered

new vs old high pressure pump

Old 01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: Slippery when wet!

I had a couple dually trucks, Like and Kept the Cummins Dodge and got rid of the Chevy DMax, the forums are helpful on filters, clutches, exhaust systems ,maintenance , Best prices and just general reading on about everything,including the Oop's !
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Registered

My Boat: 30 Sutphen (for sale)

Originally Posted by diesel2fast4u View Post
new vs old high pressure pump

almost looks like the pump out of my dmax.nice.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30 View Post
almost looks like the pump out of my dmax.nice.
Yep Bosch CP3
Old 01-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by diesel2fast4u View Post
Yep Bosch CP3
I know a place that can increase flow a little bit...
Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post
Keith - FYI the Sabre diesels from England were the European Ford/Sabre engines, the Merlin/Daytona engines from Fla were based on the Ford Cargo Star truck enignes from Brazil. The English Ford's were a much tougher old style engins than the light duty Cargo Star enignes.

Diesel2fast4u - I was keeping quite to see where this went but since coolers are a topic now I have a suggestion. Your enemy is heat as you know when you design the cooler make sure there is plenty of fins like a AC condenser, do not use a big cross sectional area cooler compared to the thickness and use a multi pass cooler ie like two or three seperate cooler stacked each being fed by virgin cooling water. What you need is a big Delta T and regardless of how you design a one source of water in and out cooler you will only get so much heat transfer because the water temp will rise and start to be less effective regardless of direction of water flow you will run out of cool water quickly.

Think of a commerical air-handler in a large office building, common manifold of cold water feeding into various coils and then coming back together again. They work on a 15-25 Delta at most, you make yours like I said 2 or 3 independent cores thick and lower the temp vastly. Some people will argue that all that back pressure against so much coil will hurt flow - YES it will. BUT the cooler the air the more dense the less manifolf pressure you'll have and flow is inversely portional to pressure so the lower the pressure (temp) the flow will increase much more than linear.

If you'd like to discuss what you're doing I'd love to talk through things out here in the open if you wanted to, I think people love reading these things?

Joe Gere
Joe, I have 4 coolers like this lying around, I thought mayby trying them like this :

Entering with fresh water in the middle and exiting on the sides

Last edited by diesel2fast4u; 01-24-2012 at 06:30 PM.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser