FYI: Nowake zones in St.Clair River

Notices

FYI: Nowake zones in St.Clair River

Old 06-19-2002, 07:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI: Nowake zones in St.Clair River

I just was given this by a fellow boater. I was un aware of the size restrictions and specific nowake zones for the St. Clair river. The attached link is about 800K. It might be usefull this weekend with the races and Jobbienooner.

http://www.raymondbaldwin.com/Nowakelarge.jpg
Attached Thumbnails FYI: Nowake zones in St.Clair River-nowake.jpg  
Old 06-19-2002, 09:03 AM
jr

Now thats great info. But I thought the north channel off Algonac was no wake for all too. Has this info been verified by any one in authority, such as the St. Clair Sheriff or Coasties? I'm clear anyway because I run up the river on the Canadian side of the St. Clair Cut off.

Is there anyway to get this info verified.

Old 06-19-2002, 09:19 AM
Registered

I believe that the only no wake zone on the North Channel is where Ray has it marked, the Anchor Bay end. At least, I know that's where I had a nice conversation with a boatful of St. Clair County Sheriff deputies two years ago.

But, I was able to talk my way out of a tkt, considering that it was in April and the no-wake signs had not been placed in the channel yet - asked them how I was to know it was no-wake when there were no signs showing that it was no wake???
Old 06-19-2002, 09:57 AM
jr

Thats good to know. All I need to do now is make my boat 4 inches shorter and I'll have it made.

Old 06-19-2002, 11:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by jr
Now thats great info. But I thought the north channel off Algonac was no wake for all too. Has this info been verified by any one in authority, such as the St. Clair Sheriff or Coasties? I'm clear anyway because I run up the river on the Canadian side of the St. Clair Cut off.

Is there anyway to get this info verified.

This is from the Sheriff's department. I have also been through the north channel and it is only no wake at the end by Deckers. But still the 600 Ft rule applies further upstream too. All no wake areas are shown in orange.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

the area in question in Algonac is a 200/600 ft rule area. If you are 26 and over you must be 600 ft from shore or docks, if under 26 ft 200 ft. I know this as I patrol it (Blue light and all). If you were to read the bouys in Algonac that is what they say (in small print). As for Deckers area Yes that is a no wake for everyone. Would I write a ticket before the bouys were in place? Depends, If you live in that area as I do, Most likely I would ticket as your the same person who will call and ***** then breaks the wake law the next week
Old 06-19-2002, 12:04 PM
Registered

Well gee, Gary, I guess you write a lot of tkts to folks like me - I had never been in the North Channel in my life, there were no signs, zero other boats around, middle of the week, no indication that there was any change in the navigation rules at all. Guess you're supposed to use ESP to figure out where the no wake zones are, too bad my boat didn't come equipped with that feature

Good to know there's nothing more serious to occupy the law enforcement community on the lake than those felonious no-wake violators (in a 23' boat, no less)!

Last edited by dockrocker; 06-19-2002 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dockrocer: Maybe I was not clear. I would NOT write a ticket to someone new to the area before the bouys are in, even though it is a captain's responsibilty to know the area he is Boating in. I to have made errors before I was on the dept. ie the no wake in the middle chaanel. When i moved to a 32 from a 24 I didn't know about the 600 ft rule. I do not look for tickets to issue, but if someone *****es for no reason then they MIGHT get one. I try to be understanding and usully let tem off with a VERBAL warning. But as I said if they live in the no wake area for 20 years they know better and most likely call our department and *****ed about others. I think advantage ROb will tell you I did not agree with the ticket he was issued last year and stated so. I also saw him last year in the Middle channel with guy's drinking beer (in a bottle) and never even slowed down because he was empty handed and doesn't drink on the boat. Hope this clears any misunderstanding, I too love performance boating and understand how it is on our free time and MOST boater would do anything to help each other.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:36 PM
Registered

Gary, Can you comment or clarify the JobbieNooner post?

Thanks,
Christine
Old 06-19-2002, 02:07 PM
jr

Gary, not to nit pick, but how is the 26 and under measured. This may sound stupid, but is that hull length, water line length, hull plus pulpit and swim platform. It seems kinda gray. My hull is 26' 3, but I throw a much smaller wake than a 25 foot cruiser running at the same speed. Bill272 and Freckles are in 27' 2" but would be in the same situation but they are technically 1' 2" over. Not to beat a dead horse, but it sounds like a not very well thought out law.

Quick Reply: FYI: Nowake zones in St.Clair River

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.