Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I think I just left a spot......... >

I think I just left a spot.........

Notices

I think I just left a spot.........

Old 06-19-2002, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I think I just left a spot.........

I'm sitting here working (and looking at OSO) and I think either a bomb went off near by, or the Shuttle just passed overhead. Not sure how many of you have heard that thing land before, but if it is landing at Edwards AFB in California, it is supersonic as it passes over the SanFernando Valley towards Edwards. There is a dual sonic boom that you wouldn't believe.

I must go check myself.

Old 06-19-2002, 02:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Phantom I think you are right. I heard they were landing it out there due to weather Now go clean
Old 06-19-2002, 02:18 PM
Registered

I'm in Newport and thought I heard/felt something a few minutes ago. At first I was thinking it might be an earthquake but it was pretty short. Don't know if it was the same thing or not...Oh well, back to work
Old 06-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

It's kind of a usual occurrance for us as I hear it every time it comes down. It's cool to say the least. BOOM...BOOM...

Double shock waves. Just watched it on the net!
Old 06-19-2002, 02:57 PM
pimpthis.com
Charter Member

Trying standing under a 6000 lb Suburban and here that noise. I thought it was coming down!
Old 06-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

Cool Yep Nort...

...the shuttle landed at Edwards...kinda reminded me of when my last stereo let go...

Old 06-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Nort,
Yes, that was probobly the shuttle landing. It scares the crap out of my wife ALL the time, makes our German Sheppard go nuts too. All the rain/bad weather we are having here in Fl, diverted the landing to Edwards. Glad she is back on the ground safely!
Cat,
What technology are you taking about? I'm not familiar with it? Having personally worked on the Shuttle for 6 years, (1991-1996 as a Senior Avionics Engineer) I can GUARANTEE you that there is not a SAFER mode of Manned Space flight travel than the shuttle, to date. The X-33 should have replaced the shuttle by now, but it was NEVER properly funded and was subsequently cancelled for budget problems. So I'm interested in the "NEW" technology you are taking about. Any links or websites?
Thanks,
MD

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 06-19-2002 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by catmando
More than likely that's what it was, Nort. Just watched the landing on the news.

That old dinosaur can still get the job done, but we need a less dangerous way to get people and materiel into space. The Maglev ramp is promising technology.
Hate to say it, but it's only promising to sci-fi authors...

The accelerations required to reach escape velocities from those linear magnetic induction systems would be far too great for our fragile bodies. It may work for ballistic applications, but not people.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:15 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Baja Daze

Hate to say it, but it's only promising to sci-fi authors...

The accelerations required to reach escape velocities from those linear magnetic induction systems would be far too great for our fragile bodies. It may work for ballistic applications, but not people.

Geez........ .......what'dya think you are, some kind of aerospace engineer or something.....
Old 06-19-2002, 03:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

BD,
Thanks for the enlightenment! Now, I do remember something about this technology, it's a spin off of SDI, I think!
MD

Quick Reply: I think I just left a spot.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.