Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R Addiction. Greats pictures thanks.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts
Default Very Cool.

Originally Posted by akaboatman
We have great boating here in Louisiana. 2 lake bashes an the Ticfaw 200, Royal Purple poker run. Lots of smaller poker runs. Great place to live.
I have a bunch of friends in Shreeveport and have been there many times and have to agree. One is prepping to bring his 31' cat/tow vehicle here to leave for fly in Fla trips.
Another La friend bought both the motors currently on my 24' Sonic and is shopping for a similar size V bottom to tow back and forth. (planning his trip here to p/u motors) He wants to do Mississippi (me too) as well as the Fla trips.
All of us are trying to get our acts together in preperation for multiple and regular Keys and Bahama's trips.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts

Uno Mas w/one of my favorite pictures. Sonic #1 on a very early Spring weekend on Lake Erie.
Suffered through one more Columbus Winter and needed to burn the cob webs off.
2 1/2 hr tow to the lake later and are greeted with 55* and fog. Told the girl friend at the time, "let's head for Pelee (my favorite island) and I'm sure the fog will clear and it will warm up".
About 1/2 way there ( I think 30 ml trip) we popped a powerhead, the fog was now pea soup thick and it was maybe 50*
I convince her we should continue on so at least we can go party w/the locals for the 1st time this season. She agree's
In the mean time they're having a Walleye fishing tournament and you could hear these boats (21' - 23' Bass Boats on steroids) flying through the fog in the very near distance! No radar no nothing!
Based on that I hug the shore line along the 9 mile long island hoping they don't spear us. I felt safe as our previous trips were saved on the GPS so I knew I was in deep water.
Wrong. Those trips were all on plane and we were now off plane and drawing 2 more feet of water.
Tore up the prop and lower unit on the running motor on a shoal!
Finally made to port on the far end of the island. We're both tired, (3 1/2 hr trip) cold and scared but excited to tie up and head for the bar at the foot of the pier.
Wrong again. That island (Canadian) depends on their ferry to mainland for EVERYTHING. The ferry had a motor being replaced over Winter and it wasn't done. The island was freagin VACANT and EVERYTHING was closed!
Only sign of life was the one municipal employee tending their pump houses. He was it! The guy gave me his last cup of hot coffee (now 45* out) and a tour of a pump house which I'd never been in before. Anyhow, love the picture of the harbor. Kinda shows what attracted me to that island. SOLITUDE!

#1. The keeper of the pump houses. The island used to be under water until they dug drainage ditches around it's perimeter and installed giant diesel pumps. This is one of the guys that's there 24/7 to make sure they are functional and gave me his last cup of hot coffee. I heard he's since passed.

#2. Visibility on the way there.

#3. Scudder Harbor on the north end of the island.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 01-31-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:14 AM
Registered

nicest trip for me was the rideau canal,from ottawa to kingston,with my new (for me) 30ft sunseeker...ducks came to have dinner with us,and hundreds of fish follow you as you walk along the canal,as everybody feeds them bread...made it 2-3 times so far...maybe again next summer
Old 02-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Uno Mas w/one of my favorite pictures. Sonic #1 on a very early Spring weekend on Lake Erie.
Suffered through one more Columbus Winter and needed to burn the cob webs off.
2 1/2 hr tow to the lake later and are greeted with 55* and fog. Told the girl friend at the time, "let's head for Pelee (my favorite island) and I'm sure the fog will clear and it will warm up".
About 1/2 way there ( I think 30 ml trip) we popped a powerhead, the fog was now pea soup thick and it was maybe 50*
I convince her we should continue on so at least we can go party w/the locals for the 1st time this season. She agree's
In the mean time they're having a Walleye fishing tournament and you could hear these boats (21' - 23' Bass Boats on steroids) flying through the fog in the very near distance! No radar no nothing!
Based on that I hug the shore line along the 9 mile long island hoping they don't spear us. I felt safe as our previous trips were saved on the GPS so I knew I was in deep water.
Wrong. Those trips were all on plane and we were now off plane and drawing 2 more feet of water.
Tore up the prop and lower unit on the running motor on a shoal!
Finally made to port on the far end of the island. We're both tired, (3 1/2 hr trip) cold and scared but excited to tie up and head for the bar at the foot of the pier.
Wrong again. That island (Canadian) depends on their ferry to mainland for EVERYTHING. The ferry had a motor being replaced over Winter and it wasn't done. The island was freagin VACANT and EVERYTHING was closed!
Only sign of life was the one municipal employee tending their pump houses. He was it! The guy gave me his last cup of hot coffee (now 45* out) and a tour of a pump house which I'd never been in before. Anyhow, love the picture of the harbor. Kinda shows what attracted me to that island. SOLITUDE!

#1. The keeper of the pump houses. The island used to be under water until they dug drainage ditches around it's perimeter and installed giant diesel pumps. This is one of the guys that's there 24/7 to make sure they are functional and gave me his last cup of hot coffee. I heard he's since passed.

#2. Visibility on the way there.

#3. Scudder Harbor on the north end of the island.

Yikes! This should be on the hall of shame thread, not the favorite boat trip thread!!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

And then there was the time I took my old Glaspar Avalon and did circles around Mark Kaama's AT.

It was so bad for him, he had to sell his beloved KAAMA AT out of disgrace.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

My favorite boat trip was in 2000 on a 60ft Viking from Sandy Hook, NJ to Ft. Lauderdale.

My 2nd favorite trip was with my wife, who I was dating back then, from Sandy Hook, NJ to Beach Haven, NJ for 5 days. It wasn't the furthest trip we ever made but it was the perfect trip and we had a lot of fun together!

Two kids and years later, I'd kill for some free quality time alone with my wife like that again!

Last edited by Panther; 02-01-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Registered

Thanks for keeping My tread going. Just walked in the door from My trip to Texas. It was nice to read more storys. Thanks Artie
Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn Frank....been a while huh?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We have been on a ton of poker runs and my favorite is always loto just because you can go everywhere you want by water. This year I plan on running from my hometown up to Louisville, ky for a night of partying. It's about 120 miles up river through my roots

Dream trip is exactly why my sonic 31 is for sale right now, we are looking at something large enough to play in the keys and across to Bimini.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.