Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Pistols and boats...State lines and rules >

Pistols and boats...State lines and rules

Notices

Pistols and boats...State lines and rules

Old 06-20-2002, 12:09 PM
ursus

They are called Flare Launchers not guns and they are legal in Canada, see the canadian coast guard site link below.

The hand held single launcher ones are better anyways, if you have a misfire with a gun type flare launcher you then have a proplem, can't launch another one, unload it etc, in an already distressed situation ( something is wrong if you are launching a flare right). With the individual ones you just toss the misfire in the water and get another one.

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/obs-bsn/sbg-gsn/distress_e.htm

Old 06-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary, So that means when I was the patrol boat at the st clair race last year, I was breaking canadian laws by having my flare gun on the boat when doing laps to check out the positioning of the other patrol boats. I know they arent going to give a patrol boat a problem, but there were alot of Michigan boats ancored on the canadian side, and I'm sure just like me, alot of them had flare guns and were unaware of this canadian law. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:47 PM
ursus

They are unaware of this Canadian law because it does not exist, see my previous post, Flare Guns are not illegal. See the canadian coast guard site in the link !

Old 06-20-2002, 01:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Audiofn, it is no longer NECESSARILY illegal in Mass. to leave a gun in your car. Probably the only benefit to the newer regs. If I have more time later I will find the specifics. PM me if you really want to know.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:38 PM
Registered

I live in New York, I sometimes carry a gun, but when I know that I am going into another state (except for official business), I do not carry a gun. If anyone thinks that they can carry a gun from CT, by boat into and around NY, as long as they stay in the water is mistaken. I believe that some states might allow a person who legally has a gun in another state to carry it in that state but NY is not one (except for a very few exceptions, law enforcement, armored cars, authorized shooting events etc.) NY City is even more restrictive - a permit issued outside of NYC does not authorize the holder to carry the gun anywhere in NYC, even though they are residents of NY State.

Dave
Old 06-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems I heard somewere a boat is considered a "domicle"or vessel, not a vehicle and you are allowed to keep a firearm aboard for protection. This may only apply to when your in international waters, but it bears looking into. I for one carry all the time.
Dan
Old 06-20-2002, 06:13 PM
Banned

I believe here in Florida that it is the same as a car. The statute reads it must be "securely incased" and goes on to state a glovecompartment, a consol, or a zippered bag is considered legal. Basically, as long as it isn't open under the seat, you are ok. I got stopped by the marine patrol once, and they wanted to see EVERYTHING! After inspecting all my safety equipment, and having me open all my coolers and fish boxes, they asked me if I had any guns. I asked him "What do you need?" They failed to see the humor in it. I then told them" yes, I have a pistol on board. Would you like to see it?" They said no, and acted like they wanted to be sure I didn't bring it out. Then they left.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rob

Yes if you have the 12 gage flare gun it is NOT allowed in Canada. We offically cannot enter the canadian waters with our duty pistol as it is a violation of their law. Does that mean it never happens. No we have lunch with the OPP on the Archie Ferguson all the time. They are a great bunch of guys and we work well together. And yes if you have the single flare launcher I also agree that it is O.K..

Last edited by Gary864; 06-24-2002 at 07:24 AM.