Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How come there arent any power by the hour engine programs??? >

How come there arent any power by the hour engine programs???

Notices

How come there arent any power by the hour engine programs???

Old 02-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts
Default How come there arent any power by the hour engine programs???

In aviation we have programs and you pay a set amount per hour for your engines. If anything happens, the damage is covered by the money that you have paid into the program, and that money also covers overhauls when the time comes. I think that a system like this would work on the high end boat motors. What do you guys think???

Heres some of the current programs:

http://jetsupport.com/home/

http://www.williams-int.com/tap.html

http://www.rolls-royce.com/civil/ser...corporatecare/

http://www.pwc.ca/en/service-support...ollment-option
Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Running across water is far more dynamic than floating through the air... not to mention alcohol is frequently par for the course. Never mind leaky headers... If I were a builder or an insurer, I wouldn't want to cover such a program with a ten foot pole when it comes to hi-perf boat engines!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, the biggest problem with that system would be the end user. Aircraft engines are held to pretty specific operating peramiters and rarely veer off course. Boat engiines on the other hand are setup for a max WOT via props but a douche on the throttles while going over a wave can change that in a hurry. There are just too many possible "what if's " for a system to work like it does in the air, but that's just my opinion. Merc racing does have a refresh program that seems to be working with its pleasure/ race crowd though...
Old 02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Registered

I agree but the engine builders have to know approximately what it cost to run each of their engines per hour and then from there you set the parameters concerning routine maintainance. Trust me one little error by the operator of the aircraft and the programs will find ways out of paying but if you maintain by their books everything works out for everyone. Headers could Askig be worked into the cost per hour with a mandatory replacement or inspections at certain intervals.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They ain't the Same Animals!

When airplane engines fail you generally fall out of the sky and DIE!!
When boat engines fail you generally call for a tow or limp back to port or the trailer!

Airplane engine users and owners are required by FAA to keep their engines in all the time top operating condition all the time, do scheduled maintenance and required overhauls or they don't fly! or they DIE!

Boat engine users are not required to do maintenance, overhaul or inspections, so they generally don't and then when something happens they B*tch and cry and many come on here looking for redemption and salvation!
They still don't Die!

BOATERS ARE NOT PILOTS OR FLIERS -DON'T EVER TRY TO COMPARE THE TWO !!

IF YOU DO YOU MAY DIE !

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Sounds like a great opportunity for you Adam! Why don't you set up such a program for the buyer of the aqua-engines or the other set you're selling and let us know how it works out?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
When airplane engines fail you generally fall out of the sky and DIE!!
When boat engines fail you generally call for a tow or limp back to port or the trailer!

Airplane engine users and owners are required by FAA to keep their engines in all the time top operating condition all the time, do scheduled maintenance and required overhauls or they don't fly! or they DIE!

Boat engine users are not required to do maintenance, overhaul or inspections, so they generally don't and then when something happens they B*tch and cry and many come on here looking for redemption and salvation!
They still don't Die!

BOATERS ARE NOT PILOTS OR FLIERS -DON'T EVER TRY TO COMPARE THE TWO !!

IF YOU DO YOU MAY DIE !

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Registered

Ray I agree but there's also the guys that would rather pay you a set amount per hour and never have to worry about anything. If it blows up than they bring it to your shop and you fix it with the money they have put into the pot. To take it a step further, you could stock loner engines so when they do blow up they don't miss a weekend. This of course is all built into the hourly rate. Right now the JSSI program on our airplane is about $300 an hour each engine.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Sounds like a great opportunity for you Adam! Why don't you set up such a program for the buyer of the aqua-engines or the other set you're selling and let us know how it works out?
Aqua engines.....the hourly payment on those is going to be at a "deep" discount! Haha. Actually, Im surprised these are still around,,,any bites yet?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I can see it working:
500-700HP N/A Carb
$25,000 for the first hour $1,000 hour for every additional hour that it lives
15 hour oil changes included in hourly charge.

1000+HP Power Adder EFI
$75,000 for the first hour $2,500 for every additional hour that it lives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.