Notices

Gratton Lawsuit Filed

Old 02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Does Florida have limitations to the percentage of the award that a trial attorney can receive? Just curious.
I do not know the answer to that, I am licensed in NJ. Sorry I could not answer that for you.

On a different point, real answers to most of the factual questions will be found in the discovery process. Until those answers are provided let the bullsh*t continue.

I am done in this thread.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

What is being questioned is whether or not the sanctioning body did what it said it was going to do.
If SBI did everything they were supposed to, then all will be fine. (They should have disclosed it sooner to prevent this, perhaps.)
However, if they misled people and did NOT provide what they promised, then in reality the racers were not making an informed choice and that does cause a problem.
All racers know the inherent risks and that is not what is being questioned. What is in question is whether they had everything that they were expecting.

The best way I can sum up my feeling is with this synopsis.
People die everyday in car accidents. Safety features have been improved to reduce this risk, however it still happens. Now, you may die even in an airbag equipped car and there should be no reason to sue the manufacturer . However, if the car was supposed to be equipped with air bags and they were not installed.... then we there is a legitimate reason to file a suit.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
What is being questioned is whether or not the sanctioning body did what it said it was going to do.
If SBI did everything they were supposed to, then all will be fine. (They should have disclosed it sooner to prevent this, perhaps.)
However, if they misled people and did NOT provide what they promised, then in reality the racers were not making an informed choice and that does cause a problem.
All racers know the inherent risks and that is not what is being questioned. What is in question is whether they had everything that they were expecting.

The best way I can sum up my feeling is with this synopsis.
People die everyday in car accidents. Safety features have been improved to reduce this risk, however it still happens. Now, you may die even in an airbag equipped car and there should be no reason to sue the manufacturer . However, if the car was supposed to be equipped with air bags and they were not installed.... then we there is a legitimate reason to file a suit.
Tom I agree with your example with one exception

In the real world, had that car accident happened the attorneys would sue the car manufacturer, the steering wheel manufacturer, the air bag manufacturer, and the car dealership that sold the car (even if they had no reason to believe the air bags were not installed) And if the car had been used on a tv commercial and sold due to the customer seeing that commercial the people who made the commercial will be sued! It is just so fricking wrong
Old 02-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Tom I agree with your example with one exception

In the real world, had that car accident happened the attorneys would sue the car manufacturer, the steering wheel manufacturer, the air bag manufacturer, and the car dealership that sold the car (even if they had no reason to believe the air bags were not installed) And if the car had been used on a tv commercial and sold due to the customer seeing that commercial the people who made the commercial will be sued! It is just so fricking wrong
My ex was sued in Michigan when a double bottom gasoline tanker skidded through a red light and hit our car and two others and killed the passenger in one of the cars. The tanker and trailer exploded and basically burned everything in sight. By way of a miracle my ex escaped the inferno by driving out with all four tires aflame.
Every vehicle owner in the accident was sued along with many vehicle component suppliers.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Florida attorneys as well as attorneys in New Jersey are not permitted to make a phone call to an accident victim(s), or the the family of an accident victim. Written communication is permitted in Florida after 30 days have passed since the accident, "In addition, if the written communication concerns an action relating to an accident or disaster involving the recipient or a relative of the recipient, the communication may not be sent until 30 days after the accident or disaster."[/B]

The family calls the attorney, that is how it works. Attorneys are not ambulance chasers as some people may want to portray them. The attorneys that do try to solicit via phone and or violate the rules of ethics will get disbarred or sanctioned, plain and simple.

Hope that clears up the speculation.

Don't want to start a major argument, but do you know how many ways I could make contact with some one and no one would know it's me? I got "contacts" all the time form people "no affiliated " with some one else, and at the end of the day it was his/her son that called.
Anyrate. Just a few questions, (sorry if it's answered before) Why file in Broward? I thought Joey was still alive when he got out of the boat. (I seem to remember reading somethnig about injuries and he was breathing) not sure. This drowining just sounds fishy.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Don't want to start a major argument, but do you know how many ways I could make contact with some one and no one would know it's me? I got "contacts" all the time form people "no affiliated " with some one else, and at the end of the day it was his/her son that called.
Anyrate. Just a few questions, (sorry if it's answered before) Why file in Broward? I thought Joey was still alive when he got out of the boat. (I seem to remember reading somethnig about injuries and he was breathing) not sure. This drowining just sounds fishy.
Filed in Broward so Mr. Allweis can be paid more for travel
Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
do you really think this suit will put an end to offshore racing in florida,i hope not,but with a law on the books that states sponsers can be held responsible,you may be right.
You'd be surprised... It put Smoke on the Water to sleep here in Michigan, that was an excellent event saw some great chopper footage of the last one ran
Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ajfisher
You'd be surprised... It put Smoke on the Water to sleep here in Michigan, that was an excellent event saw some great chopper footage of the last one ran
Yep it pretty much killed our event
Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Registered

On a more light hearted note

I wrote some music lyrics (actualy i wrote two songs) for our last election and I just came across them again

I think Lawyers being law makers is a conflict of interest and this song speaks to that. It was fun to write and it still makes me smile when i bring it back up

(Verse)
Lawyers are liars and we can't get a break
they aren't really helping us it's about the money they make

So you say you slipped and fell got hurt on the street
give Sam a call and a settlement we will meet

It does not matter if you truly have been harmed
will sue someone for a leg and also an arm

WE don't need an excuse to place blame on others
when were done with this guy will just sue another

(Chorus)
Lawyers are liars they just want our money
It's always someone elses fault this just isn't funny
To be great in politics you need a law degree
I don't like their actions they don't represent me

(Verse)
Were you driving drunk and ran in to a wall
Pick up the phone you know who to call

We will blame the car or the beer for its attraction
if many have consumed it we will start a class action

We need to revolt against the lawyers money mission
but there is nowhere to turn most become a judge or politician

The rule when voting for your country's good health
don't vote in a lawyer you just increase their wealth

(Chorus)

(Verse)
We all know this country is in serious world trouble
the end is near as we sit watching the bubble
don't vote lawyers into office it only will go south
they only speak the truth when they don't open their mouth

Give them your money they will use it to campaign
Then become president and treat us with distain

(Chorus)

(Verse)
If you think they are there to help you out of your distress
they will just fuel the flames and make things a mess
It is always someone elses's fault that is their moto
They promice you answers and cash like you hit the loto

Other peoples money is there life's long mission
The bigger the pay off the bigger thier commission
So think twice before you vote for a new world leader
He might just be a leagle system bottom feeder

(Chorus)
Old 02-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
That is the best post on this thread yet in my opinion. I raced offshore for three years ('99, '00 & '01), and can tell you that there was a strong level of comfort that the divers "had my back". Did I look at them as being able to save me in any circumstance? No, but they were a good "safety net"....or "back up" plan. I liken it to skydiving. You know the potential for accidents, but you put a certain level of trust in the company that is taking you up, packed your chute, and went over all of the safety rules/recommendations. All of a sudden your main chute doesn't open, you expect for the back up/secondary chute to work right? What happens if the secondary chute doesn't open quick enough? The skydiving company said that it would be an extra level of safety....

I think those of you that are criticizing the Grattons are underestimating the family. I knew them very well when I raced and still think the world of them. In my opinion, they are suing to obtain factual data regarding the accident - something that hasn't been shared with them voluntarily. Just one man's thoughts and opinions.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.