Notices

Gratton Lawsuit Filed

Old 02-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Contrary to Phantoms statement there are many similarities to our accident (yea it was a poker run not a race) and in the end the settlement was over 8 million dollars and none of that money went to make poker runs safer. .
In fact it eliminated a poker run (and all the charity it produced over a long period of time) just like this will eliminate boat racing in Key West and everyone with an agenda against SBI will no longer have to worry about safety cause there will be no need for safety sitting at home. That is till a drunk runs into their house and someone sues Budwieser

NK
Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KWright
I used to drag race in the 80's. Held a Pro Stock licence in both NHRA and IHRA. As a racer I saw allot of situations good and bad. But the final call to put that car down the track was mine and mine alone even though sometimes you knew the situation was less than desireable. But as the racer the call was mine. That being said my question is who decided to push that boat so fast that day in less than desireable conditions to make it flip like that? Just my .02 IN racing there are no gaurentees. parts are modifided beyond safe standards, pushed to limits beyond thier capacity, and all done in places where safty is less than desireable, that is what fuels the racer the thrill taking the chance. And the chance you take is with your life. Its sad what happened but I'm sure they were all very smart men and knew just what they were getting into, but it was a choise they made of their own free will.
Amen to this quote.

NK
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

There's one common theme; everyone not in agreement on the suite keeps pointing the finger at SBI.

Is it SBI, the racers, pit-crew, team owner, a sum of all parts? No one really knows the answer to this and it's all just BS rumors and speculation on the internet.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

http://www.autoracing1.com/MarkC/001119Lawsuits.htm

A very good read on racing lawsuits. Also all the experts should also quit stating their opinions as fact.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Official, this thread is dumber the second time. It's like watching my kids argue over who is right. Except when they don't know, they don't make something up.

Last edited by brivander; 02-15-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by KWright
I used to drag race in the 80's. Held a Pro Stock licence in both NHRA and IHRA. As a racer I saw allot of situations good and bad. But the final call to put that car down the track was mine and mine alone even though sometimes you knew the situation was less than desireable. But as the racer the call was mine. That being said my question is who decided to push that boat so fast that day in less than desireable conditions to make it flip like that? Just my .02 IN racing there are no gaurentees. parts are modifided beyond safe standards, pushed to limits beyond thier capacity, and all done in places where safty is less than desireable, that is what fuels the racer the thrill taking the chance. And the chance you take is with your life. Its sad what happened but I'm sure they were all very smart men and knew just what they were getting into, but it was a choise they made of their own free will.

But if in fact that "decision" was influenced by false information provided by the racing organization, does that not swing the pendulum somewhat?

Cant people be,lured into "a false sense of security"? Do racers have to make sure on their own that all safety personell are properly certified and trained or is it reasonable to believe that is the responsibility of the promoter?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
http://www.autoracing1.com/MarkC/001119Lawsuits.htm

A very good read on racing lawsuits. Also all the experts should also quit stating their opinions as fact.
This is an interesting quote from what you attached

"we expect that these cases will be settled out of court and never go to trial because the insurers, sanctioning bodies, and track operators do not want to have any legal precedents set in cases such as this."

It is what happend at our suit and I suspect the SBI deal as well will end in a settlement. Not a settlemnt of change but a settlemnt of MONEY

It is never about an award it is about a settlement
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman
But if in fact that "decision" was influenced by false information provided by the racing organization, does that not swing the pendulum somewhat?

Cant people be,lured into "a false sense of security"? Do racers have to make sure on their own that all safety personell are properly certified and trained or is it reasonable to believe that is the responsibility of the promoter?
I see what your saying. but in racing situations their is no security, and yes you need to be responsible for your own safety. As grown adults you need to make the decision wether or not the event is to dangerous for you. Im not saying that their doesnt need to be changes. Safety needs to be the number one concern, but it has to be the responsibility of every body, most importantly the racer. these are smart men participating in these event's im sure nobody talked them into anything, they knew what they were doing along with the risk. the lack of safety was very well known to everybody. This is just my opinion and im sure everbody else has their own.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Lead to believe there's a false sense of security? Really?

Does anyone actually read the waiver and release forms when they sign up to do a race or poker run event? I doubt it....
Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smarty
Florida attorneys as well as attorneys in New Jersey are not permitted to make a phone call to an accident victim(s), or the the family of an accident victim. Written communication is permitted in Florida after 30 days have passed since the accident, "In addition, if the written communication concerns an action relating to an accident or disaster involving the recipient or a relative of the recipient, the communication may not be sent until 30 days after the accident or disaster."[/B]

Does Florida have limitations to the percentage of the award that a trial attorney can receive? Just curious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.