Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   need registration help in ny (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/271012-need-registration-help-ny.html)

buzzz11672 02-19-2012 07:21 PM

need registration help in ny

I purchased a 1978 challenger/superboat that was last registered in New Hampshire in 2008. I only got a bill of sale with the purchase and was told by scpd that was all i needed to register in ny. Dmv is telling me otherwise. Previous owner is un cooperative in trying to get a new one for me. Anyone have experience with this or any ideas?

jason y 02-19-2012 07:30 PM

wouldnt be by chance about 33 ft and red with twin big blocks would it?? seen one on craigslist last summer i was tryin to pick up and dont know where it went

buzzz11672 02-19-2012 07:39 PM

this is a 21 challenger white and blue just something to get out and have some fun with. I know its not stolen i had a friend run the hull# but that doesn't help me at dmv. They couldn't care less about helping me

berzerko 02-26-2012 08:52 PM

Post some pics, do you have the hin ?
If it starts with krg than its a jersey challenger
Might be better posting some pics and asking over on scream and fly someone there might know the boat
HTH

jason y 02-26-2012 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by buzzz11672 (Post 3621659)
this is a 21 challenger white and blue just something to get out and have some fun with. I know its not stolen i had a friend run the hull# but that doesn't help me at dmv. They couldn't care less about helping me

are you a bill of sale state or title state?

in ky where a title in order to use a bill of sale here you have to have the registration card and the bill of sale signed and notarized

i once got a boat that changed hand 5 times before me and of course no registration card i had to get a affidavit and send to the last known registered owner to get it signed and notarized that way i cold get a title.. took a long time for him to send it back to me.. shoulld have taken care of it myself :evilb:

if you can prove you owned it for 5 years they will issue you a new title here..

if you have a bill of sale id get some one in another bill of sale state to register it a then sign it to you.. with a reg card....

that was my second option prolly should have went that way to begin with either way it take lil time.. jst my experience

i feel for you been there do it..

ActiveFun 02-26-2012 10:27 PM

What is motor vehicle exactly telling you?

soldier4402 02-27-2012 06:53 AM

NY you need a bill of sale period. Second if New Hampshire required a title then NY is going to want to see a title in order to transfer it. I ran into this problem with a boat trailer from IL. Old owners never titled or registered the trailer because the trailer was never used because boat was at a cottage. Owners and broker played games for a while on it and they wanted me to do a home made trailer registration. Got to the point where I said two options give me a title or take your trailer back and give me 3 grand to find a trailer.

What is the dmv telling you? Im guessing they want to see a title, but I bet the old owner never titled it. This can be challenging as the old owner might have troubles getting paperwork to title it himself.

4bus 02-27-2012 06:56 AM

Drive to NH, they will print you a title on the spot. In fact they will print a title for any registration for any rec vehicle from any state, on the spot. NH is the dmv loophole we use in NY for paperowork problems :)

soldier4402 02-27-2012 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by 4bus (Post 3627933)
Drive to NH, they will print you a title on the spot. In fact they will print a title for any registration for any rec vehicle from any state, on the spot. NH is the dmv loophole we use in NY for paperowork problems :)

problem is you still need a registration to begin with

007joe 02-27-2012 08:20 AM

In NY I believe you NEED the title, if you have the cooperation of the previous owner you may want to contact http://www.broadwaytitle.com/ they are great with classic cars, and know the system pretty well.