Notices

Turbo vs Supercharger

Old 12-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 544 Likes on 330 Posts

They are in Wisconsin. I've just been reading up on their engines. very nice looking.

looks like they cut their own cams too.

http://www.goodwincompetition.com
Old 12-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
So what is the cost of one? Lol... And what boat are they in? How's the maintence on them?

Oh and where is Goodwin located? West coast correct?
They are in Wisconsin. They did a pair in an Outerlimits Vee....a 44 I believe. Not sure on the price, but they aren't cheap.
The Vee is super fast, so they really aren't getting a workout. The engines are loafing with the boat running 120+. I think it's a little more than the customer is prepared to use, power wise. From what I hear, they are an awesome set of engines.

Like I said earlier, Todd does a lot of pulling engines. His hemi style heads have made a name for him for big inch stuff. I don't think he really does much marine stuff at all. I think the pair in the OL Vee was one of the first.
Eddie
Old 12-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

I see 125k each, starting... Wow
Old 12-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Just so you know...he IS Whipple. Those arent uneducated facts..your talking with Dustin Whipple
How funny! Those of us who know Dustin have been following this thread and wondering who would be the first to mention who the mystery S/C "expert" actually is! Very modest and classy on your part Dustin..
Kind of like trying to debate the teachings of the catholic religion and not knowing you are actually speaking to the Pope.

We have a new turbo Mercedes turbo C250 in our family. Great mileage no doubt if you could only manage to drive it outside of boost, really can't be done. In real world driving it actually gets worse gas mileage than a prior owned naturally aspirated 350. Turbo is really a terrible way to boost this motor, turbo lag is forever and motor is just too peaky for. Smooth driving. Small motor with turbo equals on/off power.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
I see 125k each, starting... Wow
They are possibly pricey. But they are incredible and worth the money for the one's that can justify the expense at the 1500-2500hp range. Those motors are not just some bigger Chevy or Hemi motors, they were designed from a clean sheet of paper. I stood within 3 feet of the motor making 1800hp at 8000rpm and it was smoother than a stock LS6 (Camaro) engine at 5000rpm! While one would not need that rpm, and they certainly don't need that rpm for that power, we just wanted to see where it would fall off in power. Valve train is quite incredible so it doesn't have the normal drawbacks of big engines. Dry deck block, separate cooling for engine and cylinder heads, incredible cooling capacity, material is cut with the grain the proper direction to allow proper elongation..... There's so many things done to those engines, you would think that we were talking about F1 engines or something but Goodwin seriously blew me away with the time, energy, engineering and real world testing done.

Rebuild cost are also significantly less. One other thing people don't factor in is the engines duty cycle. When you have bigger, higher power engines, a lot of times, you do not have to run them on kill to achieve your desired speeds, thus lasting longer. That 44 Outerlimits cruises at 120mph with 1-2psi of boost with 6 people in the boat. EGT's are so cold at that point, pistons, rods, etc. After 80ish hours in one season, all they've done is change spark plugs and oil.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information Dustin thanks
Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dustin, which blowers are you using on those GC engines?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Registered

87 octane too correct?... They look like 4.0 blowers
Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered

Dustin- I might have asked this before, but- what's the advantage of quad rotor 4.0s compared to a single 8.3? Why use the quad rotor set up
Old 10-31-2020, 10:46 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

bump
The following users liked this post:
check300 (11-01-2020)