Notices

Turbo vs Supercharger

Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Actually, I don't have my mind made up, I'm actually far more open minded than that and deal with all the US big 3 on projects that are slated for 2015 and above where there is a huge switch in direction.

So what your saying is that Audi is has only went away from turbo's because of cost?

Furthermore, if you are doing "calibration", you must be an engineer, and any even remotely educated engineer in any big 3 would know that 60hp at an idle is truly one of the most uneducated statements possibly ever posted on forced induction. On the same engine, at idle, the 4.0L takes less than 2hp to turn.

240hp for 1000hp? My goodness you clearly have never even looked into screw compressors, nor did you read any of the SC papers your refering too!!!!

On the identical engine, watercooled turbo vs twin screw does not automatically "win" as such a broad statement with zero facts is extremely poor in judgement. You don't even know the compression, camshaft, exhaust system, intercooler size or plumbing.

As for the OEM's, it turns out that many assumptions were made in the decision making to go with turbos on gasoline powered engines. Now that many did make the switch, with the new 2015 emission and mileage regulations, turbo's have only shown a 2% advantage on fuel mileage while costing nearly 3 times that of a positive displacment supercharger system. This is only on the production side, on the warranty side, its over twice as high to warranty the turbo applications, as some have to spin the turbo at 130,000RPM and are so close to there thermal and mechanical failure points that failures are far more common. Going even deeper, what happens to one of these small engines when the cam sensor fails? I know one 4-cylinder vehicle in particular that has a top speed of 5mph if the cam sensor fails and they can't control the cam position to get the turbo to spool soon. While it might be rare, its something that is looked at. If the vehicle is parked on just a few degree incline, it literally cannot go forward. As for torque and HP, on many of the direct injected engines, the HP is actually 1% higher, while torque at low rpm is well over 10% higher. Peak torque is a wash as many of these applications have 30+psi of back pressure.

Many have invested heavily into turbo, small engine applications and those investments were years ago, as they are working on the future packages now and as I said, many are NOT turbo.
Carry on -- my numbers were a bit ridiculous, exaggerating based on your COMPLETELY uneducated facts. Do you work for whipple, if so please PM me your name if you would, we could have a real chat tomorrow? Or are you a distributor?

I've already said to much in this thread.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

It's no secret push rod engines are antiquated but work fine with proper valve train maintenance . Ohc is the way to go if you can afford it and dohc is even better .
I believe turbos are slightly more efficient but both have their strengths and weaknesses .
I turbocharged my LS3 Camaro and it's insane . I can literally add 125 ft lbs to an already powerful engine with the twist of a knob on race fuel .
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,053 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by brivander
Carry on -- my numbers were a bit ridiculous, exaggerating based on your COMPLETELY uneducated facts. Do you work for whipple, if so please PM me your name if you would, we could have a real chat tomorrow? Or are you a distributor?

Just so you know...he IS Whipple. Those arent uneducated facts..your talking with Dustin Whipple
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Just so you know...he IS Whipple. Those arent uneducated facts..your talking with Dustin Whipple
Understood, there's the bias, I'll go about being a bad engineer now, LOL.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whether it is a turbo or supercharged motor the draw to the Merc 1350 and 1100 is the DOHC. Are there any applications out there where you can use DOHC on the heads and blocks available to the rest of the engine bulders. As you know Mercury designed all of this from the ground up. Reducing the valve train maintenance by going with the Merc 1350 or 1100 would be a strong consideration if I were in the market for new power.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ROFL!

"COMPLETELY uneducated...."??????

htp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIgoYz_KSHI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heqQY1VHWA4

Last edited by Whipple Charged; 02-20-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first non cocky and non confrontational thing you have said in this thread
Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 150 Likes on 64 Posts

Blah Blah, Blowers are way cooler, sound and looks!!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i notice that the bigger outboard motor have the doch i would take a guess that's why they last so long between rebuild's
Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
I can provide you with a bucket of free power but the bucket to carry it in, well that's going to be pretty pricey!
Free always cost's more

Love the turbo engineering but cant live with out the BBC sound,
I'm a roots & scoop's old school race look boater
Time for a vote thread ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.