Notices

Turbo vs Supercharger

Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Again, completly subjective. Most of our applications do not require "scoops" or mods to hatches and fit in dual and tripple appications quite easy. On the other hand, turbo systems can be massive plumbing jobs, especially when fitting to dual side by side and staggered applications. Mercury did an excellent job in packaging and spent a great deal of money doing the tooling and engineering. The average turbo system does not look or work like there's.

Also, it has been proven time and time again that systems with stainless tube headers are not trouble free. This may depend on the application and setup, but its by no means trouble free.
Good Morning Dustin,

I agree Mercury did a great packaging job for a production perspective to keep the packages tight.

But others are having success also, big thing is it takes some time and thought to put a nice package together. And it the end it's possible to keep it pretty clean and pretty simple.

Fyi,..... Used Stainless headers before with zero issue's.
Only reason for the aluminum manifolds is time. Custom Stainless takes awhile to get,.....Aluminum is off the shelf item.

Thanks

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Turbo vs Supercharger-check300-5.jpg   Turbo vs Supercharger-check300-6.jpg   Turbo vs Supercharger-check300-7.jpg  

Turbo vs Supercharger-check300-3.jpg   Turbo vs Supercharger-check300-1.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thumper038
Free always cost's more

Love the turbo engineering but cant live with out the BBC sound,
I'm a roots & scoop's old school race look boater
Time for a vote thread ???

a vote will prove nothing..its all in what works for you..its like comparing boats...

its all in which manufacturer will take care of you the best for warranty and customer services and do it in a professional manner. Jeff
Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok - Here are my "why" questions...

- If the respective audience is so open to the reliability of DOHC, then why are the ford powerplants not in the mix and why don't we see them being marinized? (4.6 and 5.4)

- One of the earlier posts eluded to the benefits of twin screw and roots but why aren't we seeing a migration to TVS?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
Ok - Here are my "why" questions...

- If the respective audience is so open to the reliability of DOHC, then why are the ford powerplants not in the mix and why don't we see them being marinized? (4.6 and 5.4)

- One of the earlier posts eluded to the benefits of twin screw and roots but why aren't we seeing a migration to TVS?
My opinion is because thay dont make the torque a BBC makes that is a must for marins apps. There is no substitute for CID thay say...dont know who Thay are but thats what ive heard. LOL
Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh LaFountain
My opinion is because thay dont make the torque a BBC makes that is a must for marins apps. There is no substitute for CID thay say...dont know who Thay are but thats what ive heard. LOL
I should have prefaced the point that I run a supercharged DOHC Cobra... That's where my interest came from when I saw some people engaging in the DOHC benefits. I've long wondered why it took so long to see them in the market.

So to your point above, I don't disagree with "there is no replacement for displacement". However, prior to my rebuild, my mildly tuned 4.6 4V put out 463rwhp and 480tq. To me, those numbers aren't low...

Let me guess, next up will be the durability conversation . Just to note, the redline on that motor is 7k. So, again, why don't we see these motors in other boats where they can run 5.5k and maintain?

Just curious...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Turbos are my favorite but I love all types of forced injections!

Just like the rest said...all depends on setup and application.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I must say this thread couldnt have came at a better time. A friend of mine is a engine builder that has custom installed severel turbo apps (on cars). we were talking about my boat over beers sat night and were discussing turbo or procharger. The TT would have to be completley custom and the the Procharger is just boat on. the ECM can be easily programed for the Procharger..not sure about the turbo. By reading all this im leaning tword procharger. What is your opinions on "cheapest" "easiest" "most realiable" way to go about this. My friend wants me to turbo because he likes a challenge. i dont care eather way if i can save a few bucks and get the same result. Im running a stock 502 mag MPI by the way.

Looking forward to your input.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
Whether it is a turbo or supercharged motor the draw to the Merc 1350 and 1100 is the DOHC. Are there any applications out there where you can use DOHC on the heads and blocks available to the rest of the engine bulders.
Gary, there is a company out there that makes DOHC heads for a BBC. I have been dying to use them on a project. It's just been a matter of time and money.....and I have neither.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
I should have prefaced the point that I run a supercharged DOHC Cobra... That's where my interest came from when I saw some people engaging in the DOHC benefits. I've long wondered why it took so long to see them in the market.

So to your point above, I don't disagree with "there is no replacement for displacement". However, prior to my rebuild, my mildly tuned 4.6 4V put out 463rwhp and 480tq. To me, those numbers aren't low...

Let me guess, next up will be the durability conversation . Just to note, the redline on that motor is 7k. So, again, why don't we see these motors in other boats where they can run 5.5k and maintain?

Just curious...
Thoes engines are very impressive. My friend i was refering to in my last post has a 99 cobra that he turbo. its a front mount and put 602 to the wheels on 16lb of boost. not sure on the TQ but im sure its up there. Alot of thoes engines dont make the TQ till higher RPM and a boat dosent have gears to shift so there is no way to get to the TQ needed to plain the boat out. I had that problem on my last boat. 350 mild build. all HP no TQ. 21p prop plained out good. hit the rev limit at 5600 at 67mph. 23p prop turd on take off, struggle to plain out ran 67 mph at 4800 rpm. It was a loose loose situation.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
a vote will prove nothing..its all in what works for you..its like comparing boats...

its all in which manufacturer will take care of you the best for warranty and customer services and do it in a professional manner. Jeff
O hell I gave up trying to prove anything a long time ago, Just thought it would be cool to see the vote of popularity not necessarily the Turbo vs Supercharger efficiency? 2nd side of the post

Yea Eddie those DOHC heads for BBC just waiting on some Money to try!!!
Back to work for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.