Like Tree37Likes

Turbo vs Supercharger

Reply

Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: west palm beach FL,
My Boat: yamaha sx190,yamaha exciter, yamaha ls2000 w c 255dc , 38sonic,38fountain ec,35outlaw,28pantera,27donzi zx ect
Posts: 3,173
Default Turbo vs Supercharger

it seem's that the big motor builder's are moving away from supercharger's and using turbo's now .
Why are the turbo's better ?
and what make's them keep the engine's alive longer between rebuild's ?

thank's
mike
mikebrls is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:52 PM
  #2
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
JIMKID Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Livonia Mi Usa
My Boat: 2009 30 LS7 SKATER 711 sold 42 mti test boat for v16 xvi power
Posts: 1,965
Default

It's not the blowers or turbos it's the valve train making the reliability better dual over head cams no push rods
__________________
30 SKATER LS7
JIMKID Motorsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 PM
  #3
Registered
 
PigNaPoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Evansville IN
My Boat: Tidewater 280 cc
Posts: 466
Nowhere near the parasitic loss... & IMO for a gearhead turbos are easier to acquire and maintain. Turbos always get lumped into the "tuner" and duct-tape crowd... but its like anything else, if you get someone that understands how to setup either system you'll have a monster. Now that car and diesel guys have played with it the tuning has come a long way. Also the adjustability of boost controllers. Most guys run 10lbs max on a boat... guys in cars pushing 30lbs on the street...

Edit : Having said that... I run 8-10lbs on a Whipple in the resin bucket. Super happy with Dustin and his CS in the few talks we've had when I needed help. That goes along way.

Last edited by PigNaPoke; 02-20-2012 at 06:10 PM.
PigNaPoke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:19 PM
  #4
Registered
 
Whipple Charged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fresno, CA, 93722, USA
My Boat: Engine, speed, powerboats, Outerlimits SV43 with Whipple 1375SCI's
Posts: 1,436
Default

Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
it seem's that the big motor builder's are moving away from supercharger's and using turbo's now .
Why are the turbo's better ?
and what make's them keep the engine's alive longer between rebuild's ?

thank's
mike
I'm not sure this is really happenning.

Valve train does not live longer unless it has more mild camshafts. Mercury's 1100 and 1350 live longer because of DOHC. SC or Turbo will live basically the same time.

To say one is better than another is very subjective. Turbo's do have less power consumption, but they are by no means "free" like most assume. They have very high back pressures in the exhaust, which causes the exhaust to leak back into the combustion chamber, as well as slow the exhaust valve opening and slow the exhausted air exiting the combustion. This is by no means "free".

Both have pros and cons so it comes down to the application, the setup and equipment to decide on what is "better" in that given application.
Whipple Charged is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM
  #5
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 213
Default

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged View Post
I'm not sure this is really happenning.

Valve train does not live longer unless it has more mild camshafts. Mercury's 1100 and 1350 live longer because of DOHC. SC or Turbo will live basically the same time.

To say one is better than another is very subjective. Turbo's do have less power consumption, but they are by no means "free" like most assume. They have very high back pressures in the exhaust, which causes the exhaust to leak back into the combustion chamber, as well as slow the exhaust valve opening and slow the exhausted air exiting the combustion. This is by no means "free".

Both have pros and cons so it comes down to the application, the setup and equipment to decide on what is "better" in that given application.
It's exactly free, turbo efficiency (overall system efficiency) is always higher when appropriately sized. Don't make me go all formula SAE and bust out the equations. Controlling them has what has always been more difficult.

There are certainly other tails, heat, appropriate impeller for exhaust pulse, etc. Superchargers are just easier to bolt on and go, that's why they are more popular.

Saying that a 15% (or less) exhaust efficiency is even close to the 100+ (or LOTS more) horsepower it can take to spin a supercharger is irresponsible.

Plus turbo's kill the exhaust ear candy, that's a big negative for some.

Completely agree on the valve-train portion though.

Last edited by brivander; 02-20-2012 at 03:00 PM.
brivander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Whipple Charged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fresno, CA, 93722, USA
My Boat: Engine, speed, powerboats, Outerlimits SV43 with Whipple 1375SCI's
Posts: 1,436
Default

Originally Posted by brivander View Post
It's exactly free, turbo efficiency (overall system efficiency) is always higher when appropriately sized. Don't make me go all formula SAE and bust out the equations. Controlling them has what has always been more difficult.

There are certainly other tails, heat, appropriate impeller for exhaust pulse, etc. Superchargers are just easier to bolt on and go, that's why they are more popular.

Saying that a 15% (or less) exhaust efficiency is even close to the 100+ (or LOTS more) horsepower it can take to spin a supercharger is irresponsible.

Plus turbo's kill the exhaust ear candy, that's a big negative for some.

Completely agree on the valve-train portion though.
I think your refering to peak AE and yes, some are "higher" than superchargers. But, back pressure and high inlet temps are not "free". Also, OEM marine turbo applications use water cooled housings, which lowers there overall efficiency so one must consider this into the equation or debate.

A 4.0L twin screw, on a 540ci BB Chevrolet engine with decent parts, making 1000hp on 91-octane, 7.5psi takes less than 60hp. I would certainly not call that significant and I'm not even going to comment on your irresponsible comment. If a turbo was "free", the turbo would make 1060hp (60 more) with identical boost on an identical engine. The simple fact is that it will not.

If were discussing 30psi applications, then we can talk about significant power consumptions.

Almost all SAE studies fail to include twin-screw compressors nor later generation roots superchargers. I know of multiple studies coming out, which is leading one of the big 3 to change all there current turbo applications to positive displacement superchargers.
Whipple Charged is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Freehold, NJ
My Boat: 32 SeaCraft
Posts: 1,386
Default

Not that anyone would believe me but I have to side with Whipple here - nothing is free

The exhaust manifold pressure takes it's toll and robs effeciency just by the simple fact you have to push it out now, there is little scavenging if any with short runner turbo manifolds.

Which robs more on a low boost engine ??? but neither is "free" there is always something given up to get something.
HabanaJoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM
  #8
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lake of the ozarks
My Boat: 40 Skater 607Ci 14:71 TF Kobelco
Posts: 1,233
Default

Can I Get a bucket of free power
thumper038 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:45 PM
  #9
PF Marine
Platinum Member
 
Coolerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,771
Default

Dustin & HabanaJoe couldn't have said it better.
Coolerman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Freehold, NJ
My Boat: 32 SeaCraft
Posts: 1,386
Default

Originally Posted by thumper038 View Post
Can I Get a bucket of free power
I can provide you with a bucket of free power but the bucket to carry it in, well that's going to be pretty pricey!
HabanaJoe is offline  
Reply With Quote

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser