Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Question: (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/271045-question.html)

jim8860 02-20-2012 10:56 AM

Question:

I have a 377 Kamma in need of tons of work . I am on the fence on what to do. There is tons of new parts that are aging, tons of good parts that are in A1 shape all the drives and parts been inside for a long time with low hrs.The motors are fresh but the hull is rough. I really would love to restore this classic. I know this is a big job however I do this style of work on cars and trucks. My guess I would need about 10+ grand in extra parts plus the cost of a paint work that I have to send out. What would this boat be worth or is it worth it at all.
Over the last few years these go fast types of boats have dipped in price. Could i sell my parts and add the cash and get me a new style boat?? I know the flat deck Kamma is a real cool boat and most people have ever seen one .... Thats what makes it cool however the new stuff is so much faster ... I am just looking for any input and price/value on a Kamma with twin 500 hp BB and TRS's looking real sweet with all new stringers, transom, interior and paint work

TexomaPowerboater 02-20-2012 12:07 PM

I'd part it out and buy something turn key.

jim8860 02-20-2012 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 3622094)
I'd part it out and buy something turn key.

Thats what I'm leaning towards. Last question and I can't seem to get the answer .... The question is what is a old school1981 38 foot scarab377 Kamma flat deck worth.... I have seen non flat decks go for pennys on the dollar . I have seen 35 foot Cigarettes Mistress go for ok to kinda good money 35-55 grand range... And if I am right that is pretty much an equal in style and performance. Any input would be great .... Thanks guys

mach1magnum 02-20-2012 08:37 PM

even if you make it real nice there is still a stigma to trs drives so it limits the buyer pool less buyers equals less offers you might find someone who loves older scarabs but it will probably take a long while in the current market my guess is you will be lucky to be in the 20's if you make it nice

jim8860 02-20-2012 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by mach1magnum (Post 3622524)
even if you make it real nice there is still a stigma to trs drives so it limits the buyer pool less buyers equals less offers you might find someone who loves older scarabs but it will probably take a long while in the current market my guess is you will be lucky to be in the 20's if you make it nice

That's what my guess was 25 grand would be a peek price even a year or two out ... its a rock bottom price.... My guess you could never buy a 38 for less than 20+ grand in good running and clean shape...

mike tkach 02-20-2012 09:33 PM

i pearsonally love those older boats that have been restored,but they just don,t seem to be worth much money,i guess its a matter of how much u like the boat,hell,we all spend to much on our boats,for me,its a passion,good luck with it if you decide to restore it[and i hope u do].

huskyrider 02-20-2012 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by jim8860 (Post 3622033)
I know this is a big job however I do this style of work on cars and trucks. My guess I would need about 10+ grand in extra parts plus the cost of a paint work that I have to send out. What would this boat be worth or is it worth it at all.

In my brief millesecond as a performance boating enthusuast I've come to the realization that this is the question we all ponder over.
IMO, it's only worth it to yourself as the owner of both the boat and the enjoyment it offers you and your family. Don't ever expect to gain any more from it than this.
If you truly love the boat "GO FOR IT" knowing that it wasn't to make the naysayers happy, only you and yours. And if you don't remember this. even if your willing to ante up for a newer boat they're still all equally used boats just on different planes of age. If it's a keeper, sweat equity is the best investment on this planet.
I'm curious, if your power is fresh and so are the outdrives why do you feel it'll take 10 bones and a paint job to get her back on the water? Quite honestly, I think that if you sell your hull, your parts and add cash, your still the owner of another used boat. If going fast is your objective prepare yourself for a lot more in expenses and a lot less spaciousness below deck.
Personally I love that boat, it's a little shy standing on headroom in the salon, but it makes up for it in classicisity (is that a word for it's a classic) amd offers plenty of elbowroom while below.
If your contemplating selling send me a PM. My son and I are looking for a boat for him and his family. Here's a link to one that's falling apart on us with this classic cause the seller still has his head in the clouds.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...hes-worth.html

Good luck on your decision to fix or sell.

See ya,
Kelly

offshorexcursion 02-20-2012 10:37 PM

If it's more labor then money fix it up!

Another used boat is still a used boat that needs work.

If you stop chasing speed now you will be much happier...unless you have deep pockets.

Restoring your boat is prob the best way to "stand out ".. in the crowd for the least amount of money.

jim8860 02-20-2012 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by huskyrider (Post 3622615)
In my brief millesecond as a performance boating enthusuast I've come to the realization that this is the question we all ponder over.
IMO, it's only worth it to yourself as the owner of both the boat and the enjoyment it offers you and your family. Don't ever expect to gain any more from it than this.
If you truly love the boat "GO FOR IT" knowing that it wasn't to make the naysayers happy, only you and yours. And if you don't remember this. even if your willing to ante up for a newer boat they're still all equally used boats just on different planes of age. If it's a keeper, sweat equity is the best investment on this planet.
I'm curious, if your power is fresh and so are the outdrives why do you feel it'll take 10 bones and a paint job to get her back on the water? Quite honestly, I think that if you sell your hull, your parts and add cash, your still the owner of another used boat. If going fast is your objective prepare yourself for a lot more in expenses and a lot less spaciousness below deck.
Personally I love that boat, it's a little shy standing on headroom in the salon, but it makes up for it in classicisity (is that a word for it's a classic) amd offers plenty of elbowroom while below.
If your contemplating selling send me a PM. My son and I are looking for a boat for him and his family. Here's a link to one that's falling apart on us with this classic cause the seller still has his head in the clouds.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...hes-worth.html

Good luck on your decision to fix or sell.

See ya,
Kelly

Kelly/ and Mike

I am a sucker for old stuff even though I am not old lol.... After hashing it out I really think I may go for it.... The best part no one will have this style of boat in my back yard.. The need for top speed is not my no1 reason . I just like the old school lines you just don't see them. All of my buddy's may have more power and a flasher boat however mine is paid for lol and I will be on the same water crush the waves just as good as them or even better... All my power is rebuilt the boat has been out of the water and stored for over 25 years ( long story from the old owner ) I have all new rugs and seats too plus tons of NIB parts . I really like rebuilding things for some odd reason. So I guess in a few weeks I will take it out of storage and start the transom/ stringer rebuild....Stay tuned I guess lol.... and Thanks for the input... most people told me to cut it up :(

huskyrider 02-21-2012 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by jim8860 (Post 3622644)
... most people told me to cut it up :(

Don't listen to most people, just those in the know.
Trust me on this;
This site rocks with the best insight in performance boating on this planet.
I've always been well served listening and following the advice of the membership.

See ya,
Kelly