Old 02-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to excuse me. I switched to Sanka
Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by blckkat
I almost fell out of my chair laughing a few years ago when I found that Donzi Sweet 16's were retailing at $45k new.....that hull is what over 40 years old I'm pretty sure they had recouped their R&D money by now, no wonder Donzi's gone.
Donzi is not "gone"! In bankruptcy, yes, but don't call them gone. The Classics may me done though, which goes right back to the point of this thread about entry level performance boats.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
You'll have to excuse me. I switched to Sanka
lol!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Agree on the Engine Prices!!

Originally Posted by Sleeper6
Running along the lines of CrownHawg's post I keep seeing lots of new Ferrari type boats, the entry level manufacturers listed seem like the Camry and Taurus end of the fleet. While they may be fine family cars, they're not very exciting. What we really need is a some new Corvettes and Mustangs. They're not the fastest or fanciest things out there but have attitude and performance to avoid being to satisfy most people. Not necessarily cheap, but with financing, within reach of most people with salary under 100K.

Engine costs blow me away. When you cam buy an entire car for the cost of 1 outboard motor, or a house for the cost of some of the sterndrive engines, it's insane. I have good knowledge of what goes into an engine and makes it tick. I just can't imagine why a basic 525 engine should cost 30K for maybe 6K in parts. I know companies must make a profit to operate, but what's the difference between making a living and a killing?

I guess that's why I collect other peoples junk and rebuild it myself into something I want. I'll never turn a profit on my labor but at least I get to enjoy something I could not otherwise afford.
Engine prices are part of this ridiculous boat prices. 30 to 50K for a performance MARINE engine???? I can buy a new corvette for around 50K which has a pretty high performance engine as well a transmission drive train. Now throw in the rest of the cars body, frame, electrical, instruments etc..........

I understand these marine engines are not sold in great volume but come on there is a limit on the amount of profit you can make on any product. Their pricing will only affect their sales.

Its just plain RIDICULOUS!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My take on all of this is that there appears to be a healthy market for good used, clean, turn-key performance boats in the under $25K price range.

Examples would be early '80's to mid '90's Formulas, Welcrafts, Chris Crafts, Bajas, Sonics, etc that were popular 25~30 years ago. The boat would need to be turn-key because most guys will never get spousal approval to buy something for the family that "only needs....".

In most parts of the country this action would be seasonal due to the affliction of winter. In areas of the south and west like Central and South Florida, Southern California and Arizona the business would be less seasonal because of boating being available year round.

If the boats for sale have simple systems like Mercruiser small and big block Chevy power and predominately Alpha drive systems that parts are plentiful and inexpensive...they would sell. Load them up with amenities like great sound systems and re-furbed seating and upholstery ( women won't tolerate old worn out $hit) with a reliable trailer and you have the magic boat that is affordable. So I find a 23' '85 Chris Craft Scorpion with a single 260 Merc that is on a decent trailer but needs a re-power. I buy it for $4500 or less, put a re-built long block in it, upgrade the cockpit interior, put a decent middle of the road sound system in it and hang a $11,995 For Sale sign on it and let them beat me down to $10,500. I have $7500 in it and clear $3K.

The target demographic is the 35~45 year old married couple with 2: teens or pre teens and a annual household income of $75k~$100K living in Indianapolis,St. Louis, Atlanta, Baltimore or Phoenix. They probably have $15K~$20K in savings and would strongly consider parting with a big chunk of that to buy recreation that the whole family can enjoy for 4~5 years before the kids move out.

I think this is doable. The risk is whether or not my demographic is confident enough in the economy and the stability of their employment to spend the money.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has considered this idea or something similar.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
My take on all of this is that there appears to be a healthy market for good used, clean, turn-key performance boats in the under $25K price range.

Examples would be early '80's to mid '90's Formulas, Welcrafts, Chris Crafts, Bajas, Sonics, etc that were popular 25~30 years ago. The boat would need to be turn-key because most guys will never get spousal approval to buy something for the family that "only needs....".

In most parts of the country this action would be seasonal due to the affliction of winter. In areas of the south and west like Central and South Florida, Southern California and Arizona the business would be less seasonal because of boating being available year round.

If the boats for sale have simple systems like Mercruiser small and big block Chevy power and predominately Alpha drive systems that parts are plentiful and inexpensive...they would sell. Load them up with amenities like great sound systems and re-furbed seating and upholstery ( women won't tolerate old worn out $hit) with a reliable trailer and you have the magic boat that is affordable. So I find a 23' '85 Chris Craft Scorpion with a single 260 Merc that is on a decent trailer but needs a re-power. I buy it for $4500 or less, put a re-built long block in it, upgrade the cockpit interior, put a decent middle of the road sound system in it and hang a $11,995 For Sale sign on it and let them beat me down to $10,500. I have $7500 in it and clear $3K.

The target demographic is the 35~45 year old married couple with 2: teens or pre teens and a annual household income of $75k~$100K living in Indianapolis,St. Louis, Atlanta, Baltimore or Phoenix. They probably have $15K~$20K in savings and would strongly consider parting with a big chunk of that to buy recreation that the whole family can enjoy for 4~5 years before the kids move out.

I think this is doable. The risk is whether or not my demographic is confident enough in the economy and the stability of their employment to spend the money.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has considered this idea or something similar.
What would your labor and over head costs be?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58

What would Suzie Orman say? "You CAN'T afford it!"
Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

I was looking at the Miami OSO party and poker run pictures and noticed something that sorta fits into this discussion. This isn't a young group, there are many grey and balding heads in those pictures which represent some long time hard working people that have worked their way up the scale in the business world.
Some of these guys probably were "common men" and had a 23' run about but they succeeded and are in a place where they can now spend.
I'm sure a number of current "common men" will move up, turn grey haired or bald and eventually own a mega-bling boat.
ed
Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 291 Likes on 138 Posts

You just nailed it right there. With the current status of our economy the younger people will never be able to move up and afford these high end boats. So, the people that can afford them are just getting older which is why you see the change over to all of these center consoles. I'm 26 and I am very fortunate to be able to afford what I have, and do the stuff I do but most people my age that I know are crying about spending $100 at the bar. So, I don't see many young people getting into the sport....
Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 302Sport
You just nailed it right there. With the current status of our economy the younger people will never be able to move up and afford these high end boats. So, the people that can afford them are just getting older which is why you see the change over to all of these center consoles. I'm 26 and I am very fortunate to be able to afford what I have, and do the stuff I do but most people my age that I know are crying about spending $100 at the bar. So, I don't see many young people getting into the sport....
I agree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.