Notices

How about it APBA or SBI?

Old 06-22-2002, 11:02 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How about it APBA or SBI? Maybe RSVP (edited)

I was reading in a boat mag today about a boat that won a Chicago to Mackinaw race back in 1920 or some thing. A Powerboat race, not a snailboat.
Wouldn't that be a great race to run today? With todays boats, a 300 mile staight line race, would be awesome. coverage would be a little tricky, but could be done.

What do you guys think?
What racers would like to run it?

Last edited by Payton; 06-23-2002 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:21 AM
Charter Member #1528

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miami-Nassau race - "no-holds barred" - 382.3-mile round trip ---

Old 06-23-2002, 02:26 AM
Registered

Default Straight across?

Payton,
Sure looks like a long tow if you break something, what do you think? Count me out!! I will stay in the grandstands, but where would they be??

eliminator219
Old 06-23-2002, 09:31 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Eliminator,
Well you could have grandstands at the start and finish. Maybe you could set the course near shore, but then there would be a lot of traffic to get out of the way. Near shore would be cool, you could watch from every beach along the way.

Rivergirl,
Sounds like the start of a circuit.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:07 AM
Registered

Default Shore to Shore

Too Old,
what you are saying has a lot of merits, and would be a lot of fun both before, during and also after. One would really have something to bragg about!
Steve, you need to look at the map, the run is what three hundred miles straight across? what would it be by running along the shore,almost double. Then it would come down to Gas milage or who can carry enough gas to fuel along the way. Just thinking about the whole thing on a Sunday morning. Think I will go have breakfast!!

eliminator219
Old 06-23-2002, 10:21 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Ok, now we need one of you desktop GPS guys to tell us how many miles straight across and along the shore. I was taking a WAG at 300 miles.

Then what's next? Sponsers?
Old 06-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Registered

It seems resonable to me. Chicago has so many fests/block parties/summer events that if it was marketed right the people would come. Have some sort of huge kick off at Navy Pier and turn it into a fest. Every Chicagoian loves a fest Have some huge monitors anchored to the rocks and you could watch the whole thing unfold while singing and dancing with your friends
Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night
Old 06-23-2002, 10:55 AM
Registered

Default You're forgetting something

When things went from
"OFFSHORE"
to
"NEARSHORE" racing,
The boats were changed to accomodate this.

Be kinda like entering a Porche
in the Baha 1000 off-road race.

RB
Old 06-23-2002, 01:40 PM
BlueMoon

I wonder if todays "so-called" offshore racers could even take the endurance of a REAL race like the Miami-Nassua. Back then they didn't complain about the sea's being to rough or it being too far if they break. The racers had to actually know how to navigate and how to keep the equipment together. Coverage from the shore (in my opinion sucks anyways), but with helicopters and on board camera's, it could be even better than todays quick little races. Man, only if!!!

Old 06-23-2002, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO Blue Moon you are very right .Like the Bahamas 500 LOL try that again. Even the Old modified class one example The Bacardi race was Out Government cut across the Gulfstream to Bimini and back ! Then south to Fowey Light then back the Government Cut start finish ! 112 miles or so of Sea Race in the smaller Vee bottoms there was No GPS

Best Regards

Quick Reply: How about it APBA or SBI?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.