I Don't Know Why Anyone Would Purchase a Sterndrive After Watching This >

I Don't Know Why Anyone Would Purchase a Sterndrive After Watching This

Notices

I Don't Know Why Anyone Would Purchase a Sterndrive After Watching This

Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom line.
That vid was made for a first time boat owner with too much $ & not enough brains.
A couple that just bought a lake house & they hit up a local boat show. The salesman brings them behind curtains and plays that vid. Wife scared shatless after not wanting her babies to be missing limbs. They really didnt put a jet boat like a new yamaha in the mix because it would be harder to put down. 1. No deadly props 2. Harder to improperly operate ....trim etc. to make it look like a handful.

They also didn't mention it has a huge motor right in the middle of the layout, although thats prob a positive in their book!!!!

Ill say it again........gay
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered

Comming from an IB owner....... The video definately played to the greatest negatives of several run-a-bouts. Pretty sure the yellow was a Tahoe and recognized Cobalt on steering wheel when demonstrating storage. Driver pushes the IO boats using poor technique and in handling situations beyond capabilities.

Like anything else, performance is a compromise of various extremes. A run-a-bout is a general compromise of everything thus it does nothing above average.
Go fast in a Cat. Crush waves in a solid V, slip into shallows with a bass boat, excel at water sports with an inboard.

The ad is trying to say modern IB design excels in water sports yet has moved further into the territory of traditional run-a-bouts many famlies would also be considering. Just like SeaRay and Cobalt try to pose as a sport boat by adding speed control, ballast and a tower. If a person has experienced the pull of an IB for water sports, there still is no comparison.

Prop safety is indisuptable on an IB but the huge swim patio ("platform" does not do them justice) on many new runabouts yeilds almost as much protection. The blunt nature of IB bronze props makes them even less likely to cut vs the sharp-er edge of an IO.
Video was one sided as it didnt show the IO passing at top speed, being more fuel efficient or trimming up the drive while beaching.
A 24' SeaRay or Cobalt is in the same price range as Malibu.
I did love the acolades at the end when Malibu was awarded best boat under $25k in 1992, will never see those days again

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Try backing a single v drive into a slip sometime & you might get a rude awakening.
A driver with experience can make backing look pretty smooth but low speed handling is an acknowledged compromise to sport wake quality and "at speed" handling.

I come here to enjoy Performance boating so not sure why a video about IB and family run-a-bouts draws so much ire?

Last edited by ChargeIt; 03-05-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other side of the coin...
http://www.cobaltboats.com/v12/why_c...ght/index.html
IB are great if your on a small lake and only wanna ski / wakeboard. Where I boat they are useless and you need a chiropractor after a weekend on the water. Oh yeah, this is coming from a wakeboarder...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chargeit, I believe you are correct that with enough practice you can back an inboard pretty good. My experience watching people that own these type of boats are younger kids that usually take 4-5 trys just to get them on the trailer let alone backing them up. jmho, Randy
Old 03-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
Comming from an IB owner....... The video definately played to the greatest negatives of several run-a-bouts. Pretty sure the yellow was a Tahoe and recognized Cobalt on steering wheel when demonstrating storage. Driver pushes the IO boats using poor technique and in handling situations beyond capabilities.

Like anything else, performance is a compromise of various extremes. A run-a-bout is a general compromise of everything thus it does nothing above average.
Go fast in a Cat. Crush waves in a solid V, slip into shallows with a bass boat, excel at water sports with an inboard.

The ad is trying to say modern IB design excels in water sports yet has moved further into the territory of traditional run-a-bouts many famlies would also be considering. Just like SeaRay and Cobalt try to pose as a sport boat by adding speed control, ballast and a tower. If a person has experienced the pull of an IB for water sports, there still is no comparison.

Prop safety is indisuptable on an IB...........

I come here to enjoy Performance boating so not sure why a video about IB and family run-a-bouts draws so much ire?

Thank you. I just watched half the video and then skimmed through a couple of pages of posts. You seem to be the first person who saw it for what it was and didn't take offense! The video was a little over the top and goofy but other than that, it was fine.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Run aground with that bad boy just once...come on...just once...
Old 03-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Registered

That video was horrible. Don't let one persons stupid actions ruin the inboard scene.

I owned an IB after owning a couple powerboats. I liked the IB much better than the powerboats because they were more versatile and "fit" for what I did, which was not 100% skiing or wakeboarding. That's just what worked for me, sure, they're not as fast, but I really didn't give a ****.....
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
Run aground with that bad boy just once...come on...just once...
From experience........its comparable to a lower unit / prop
New parts:
400 - shaft
250 - strut
150 - seal
300 - rudder
500 - prop
= $1600
Eric at OJ was awsome at getting parts out fast and even a little price love in exchange for pics

Working around the engine compartment to bolt in the new equipment is a little labor but so is alignment and other parts on an I/O if steering or tabs are damaged.