Notices

Why clever only for #6?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get round ear high and low rake props for SSM drives. Rolla as mentioned makes them and a some others.The thing is, that on many high performace applications, they are not needed. Arneson and Weismann use them more often. Back in the day, it was not uncommon to see SSM#2 and SSM#3s with them - looks a bit like choppers sometimes. Not more than a few weeks ago, somebody posted a pic in a thread here with a set of #3s and round ear props. It all boils down to the application. Today you will mostly see them in yacht and big boat applications. Many manufactures, including Hering, Bblades ect. still round ears off on cleavers on different setups when needed.

Here is one on an ASD#10.
Attached Thumbnails Why clever only for #6?-asd10.jpg  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
You are right, he needs another motor, like this ski-tow boat.
Ha ha. That's Mike Avila's boat. Beautiful boat. Unfortunately the rules in Australia and world titles limit capacity to 572ci so he can only run it in USA. I know randy Davis of Nordic boats runs a single blown motor through a splitter box and out through twin imco drives on his ski race boat. Gives an awesome wash for the skiers.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
I don't like the idea of running a #6 purely cause the drive needs to be run deep to prevent rooster tail hitting skiers
You just need a really loooooong tow rope
Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
You just need a really loooooong tow rope
Sorry. What I said wasn't exactly correct. It's not so much the rooster hitting the skier as we do already run 250-300" of rope but more the issue of the observer not being able to see them.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Registered

Yea, running the chopper's part of the plan ..... It's about the speed, when your spending that kinda coin (#6's) your all in, I assume these are ventilated hulls, not really true V's where bow lift is needed for handling at speeds ..... Reducing the wetted surface, getting the azz up does lots more than ventilation, but it helps and together works in a combined effort to become a real Go Fast ...... Lol...

It's a trade off, tight turns are interesting ......
Old 03-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

For a 700hp NA engine in a 21 boat, I would just get a Bmax.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HotSpare
Yea, running the chopper's part of the plan ..... It's about the speed, when your spending that kinda coin (#6's) your all in, I assume these are ventilated hulls, not really true V's where bow lift is needed for handling at speeds ..... Reducing the wetted surface, getting the azz up does lots more than ventilation, but it helps and together works in a combined effort to become a real Go Fast ...... Lol...

It's a trade off, tight turns are interesting ......
Not 100% sure what you mean by ventilated? The hulls are 21 degree v with pad bottom. No steps. Pretty standard design. The thing with ski race boats is they need to be good in a whole bunch of different conditions. Rough (4ft +) , smooth, tight turns (one race has 100 turns in 80 km), long straights etc. I actually think ski race boats in all their setups have utilized every prop design commonly used today. Hence my question cause most later day boats running the #6 drives have no choice.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure there is a ski race boat running a 1350/M8 combo, have seen vids of it on youtube. The number 8 drive probably runs the same prop selection as a 6, so it has been done. Boat was from down under too, maybe you could do some asking around about it.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet if you want a submerged prop is definetly a Konrad. It's sturdy as hel!, quite a bit more than a Bmax imo and cost less than half of a #6. They also run a tranny. You can also run an IMCO SCX, they will accept props up to 17" diameter of both Bravo and SSM style.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
This question has always baffled me. Why are the only props available for merc #6 drives and now #8 also clever style propellors (or is someone making different styles I'm not aware of?).
My limited understanding of prop design was that clever style props offered little in the way of bow lift, and actually tended to lift the stern a touch. This is good for cats and hydro's but deep v boats require bow lift, hence the reason mercury makes a huge array of different style props for its outboard range to accommodate this.
I do understand rake can assist with bow lift and have noticed a lot of the 6 drive props incorporate this, just couldn't imagine the clever design being the answer for every application.

Kurt,

Round ears are available but you usually need to request it. My Friend ( Check 300 ) has a single engine 30' Checkmate with a #6 drive running deep also with 1,500 hp.

Mercury originally made the prop for him and dialed it in until it ran right. He runs a 3 blade round ear, boat runs well over 100 mph.

I would also check with BBlade's to make something to meet your needs. If you talk with Brett he has the specs on this prop.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Why clever only for #6?-check300-3.jpg   Why clever only for #6?-check300-13.jpg   Why clever only for #6?-check300-1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.