Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Did the fuel pump cause my engine failure? >

Did the fuel pump cause my engine failure?

Notices

Did the fuel pump cause my engine failure?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by PigNaPoke
ready to hear the end of this...
Well looks like the end of the story is ATECO continues to deny any responsibility for the engine failure. Their 2 year warranty is worthless as was determined in other previous threads. Sometimes failures happen but with any business customer service and standing behind your product should come first. Customer goodwill goes a long way; unhappy customers' words travel much further. It took way to much time and effort on my part to get to this point.

Positives from the engine failure:
1. I have a faster boat after the rebuild by Rudy. Ateco engine ran 82 now with Rudy's rebuild the top speed achieved is 86 MPH.
2. With Rudy's rebuild and corrected parts (not just the fuel pump), I am confident that I have a dependable and properly built performance engine.

What I have learned:
I did not look hard enough to find a local builder. Buy Local!

Now I have to wait until noon on April 15th for the lay up period to end to get back on the water so I can "Drive Like You Stole It"

I hope everyone has a safe boating season!
Thanks for all the input.
Steve
Old 07-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket between #4 and #6 cylinders

About a year ago I traded one of my race quads for a 79 BAJA 19' BR it has a 502 BBC Chevy with a 12 jf berkely jet. I noticed some time last week that it was running a little rough and low on power. I checked the oil and found some water in it.Then I started checking compression that's when i found no compression in #4 or #6 hole. So i tore it down and that's when i found the blown head gasket. It has a high rise intake on it so water only flows thru the front of it and the rest of my head gasket looked ok I'm not seeing where the water got into the oil. My thought is ,change out the head gaskets and keep an eye on it to see if i get water in the oil again. If i do end up getting water in my oil then i guess i take it apart again and have heads checked out. Any input would be appreciated.