Notices

OT: Had to share this

Old 06-24-2002, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Had to share this

OK, this is way off topic, but I thought it was so good it deserved to be shared. This is a piece of a column by Jay Nordlinger, who writes for National Review Online. His columns are a collection of news and observation - enjoyable reading. In any case, this blurb is from an e-mail he received:

And yet another upper, to close:

“I thought you might like to hear what I witnessed last night at the Irish pub on Lexington between 28th and 29th [in Manhattan]. Thursday nights, they have a trivia contest. Last night the moderator asked a question about the World Cup, but phrased it in this way: ‘Whose a** is the United States going to kick next?’ I was heartened by the immediate and loud response of a young lady: ‘Saudi Arabia’s!’ Whoops and cheers all around. A second later, someone added, ‘Yasser Arafat’s!’ I then offered, ‘Iraq’s!’ Further proof (if any were needed) that few New Yorkers follow the Susan Sontag line, or share the sentiments of those anti-Americans one often sees in Union Square.”

Beautiful. But this correspondent adds a coda: “Unfortunately, the pub in question displays some pro-IRA sentiments (posters and whatnot), so I doubt I will return.”

Can’t have everything.
The entire column (and there is a lot more) can be found here: Impromptus by Jay Nordlinger.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum
Old 06-24-2002, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good reading...

I read that this morning! I thouroughly enjoy and always look forward to Jay's next Impromptus.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Daze,

So nice to find a kindred spirit! Nordlinger, Goldberg, and Derbyshire are my favorites on NR - I especially like Derbyshire. He tends to tell it like it is - good stuff.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know how you feel!
Not a day goes by that I don't check the good 'ole NRO site!

Very few 'media' outlets offer such a refreshing viewpoint.