Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My friends 1999 32 fountian sunk yesterday at the lake st clair races (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27245-my-friends-1999-32-fountian-sunk-yesterday-lake-st-clair-races.html)

PhantomChaos 06-24-2002 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A sign on a friends Fountain........just at the dock everyone tell him "hey...you're boat is sinking"!!!!! So he made the sign.

Warlock Dave 06-24-2002 07:12 PM

Hey Nort,
That was the sign that came with my 32'. I guess the previous owner was sick of answereing questions...I Gave it to Clancey at the Havasu poker run- it say's it all. I only owned my 32' for a few months, loved the handling and power / hated the stance !
I just got my Top Gun before the DSM poker run, now when i am at the Yardhouse and someone comes in asking whos sinking Cigarette that i has better start running...

cigarette1 06-24-2002 07:31 PM

Warlock Dave .... you must be Jim Dumphy's friend ... Just last week Jim was very comfortable with keeping the Scab for a while ... but now, he's all messed up ... he's now out looking at Cigs :D he blames it all on you ... well, partly me .. I took him for a run from Newport to Long Beach Saturday.

Any pics of your boat to post, I haven't seen it yet.

G

BAJA WILL 06-24-2002 07:56 PM

I agree about the comments made on air outlets? I have them on my 27, and had water come in on them once, However I had 12 people on board also, talk about crowded. I put three up on the bow and I was OK, however on the 29 and 32s with twins that is allot of weight in the back. Also my 27 is standard with 2 bilge pumps, so I noticed them running before it became a problem.

I wonder if their is some type of internal flap that could be put in the holes to prevent this????? I think the air outlets also connect to some air duct that run to the bottom of the engine comp.

Anyway glad your friend is OK, hope it all works out for him, Also I wonder if he was full of gas also?? if he was it would have contributed.:(

WILL

Warlock Dave 06-24-2002 08:13 PM

Hey Gary,
Yeah it's me. I was riding bike w/ my kids on Huntington's boardwalk and saw you guy's fly by. What a *****in' site ...2-Cig's And Doug's Scarab. Send me your email and i'll shoot you some pic's.
I am planning on a Catalina or Yardhouse run this weekend - you in ?
How do i change my OSO Name - no longer Warlock ...

Dave M 06-24-2002 08:13 PM

Gladd to hear nobody was hurt. Stupid me... I thought those holes were for the exhaust. :o

Milord 06-24-2002 09:07 PM

Wow, that really sucks. I was looking for Jonny at the races and at Muscamoot. Figured he'd be out for sure. Glad to hear he and his crew are alright. Sorry to hear about the boat.

That is a design flaw for sure. My 24' boat has twins, sits low in the water but still doesn't take on water when I have 8 or 9 people on board. Looks like Fountain needs to make some changes.

:(

timewarp 06-25-2002 02:39 AM

I am sorry for your friends loss, hope it works out ok with the insurance company.

Without seeing inside it's hard to say but I would try to use plastic pipe and elbows to go as high up from those holes before putting the blower flex hose to the bottom of the bilge, it looks like you could go up at least 6inches, maybe even run the tubes to the front of the engine compartment to get them higher and have them sealed watertight to the transom.

I'll agree a very poor design.

Caleb

Back4More 06-25-2002 02:52 AM

:(

nautigirl 06-25-2002 06:15 AM

I saw it too as we were leaving the race heading back to the ramp. Glad to hear everyone is okay - it looked like they were pumping a lot of water out of that boat!!!:(