Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whats the youngest you ever took your child on the boat?? >

Whats the youngest you ever took your child on the boat??

Notices

Whats the youngest you ever took your child on the boat??

Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 AM
FPC Events
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our first son was under 2 months, Easter Poker Run in Key Largo. A short ride, but we went over 80mph on John Mattaliano's 43' Nor-Tech V

I am sure he fell asleep during the ride, they always do for the first few years.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter was born in April, and was first on the boat in July. Would have been sooner, but we didn't get a chance to put the boat in the water till then.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered

Talking

We had our little boy on the Skater between 4-5 months. At first we put ear muffs on him but he did'nt like them at all. In the slow wake he would stand up on my lap, steer and push buttons. When we where underway he would lay on moms lap and be asleep asap........I still think he is the fastest toddler on the water.....
Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
Looks like Im the opposite side of the coin. My wife (now ex wife!!) made me sell my boat when we found out we were pregnant!! I had to sell her on getting another one when my daughter was 4 YEARS old!! That was 11 years ago! My daughter is a total fish now and loves boating so it all worked out but that was the LONGEST 4 years of my life! Seriously!
I was in a similar situation. We had a 21' Scarab when my daughter was born. We didn't feel that boat was safe for our daughter, so we sold it. 2 years later we realized how much we missed boating. We bought a 25' Baja and the rest is history. My daughter doesn't dry out during the summer months. We now have the Velocity and my daughter not only loves the water, but she is a speed freak too......... My daughter has been driving the boat through the canal to our launch since she was 6 (she is 10 now). I will let her drive any time she wants around the docks and at idle speeds.

Last edited by low_psi; 03-26-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut
Do you strap in the baby seat or do you put the kid in with the lief jacket. I would almost fear putting him in the car seat because he can sink with the boat. My idea was to have my wife hold him with his life jacket on and take it easy, I hope no one from the coast guard is reading this.
Have the wife hold child in a life jacket. I would also suggest one of you to wear a jacket as well. This way if an accident does occur, the chances are better there will be someone in a jacket to assist the child. I wouldn't suggest a car seat as they aren't designed to be used that way. Car seats if used improperly can be more of a danger to a child than not having one at all.............
Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO having some one hold the child is the best way to go. I always had my wife sit in the back as well because it is much smoother. The bigest thing to remember is that the baby will not have much strength in their neck tell they are a couple months old so before that you want a nice smooth ride and having them in the lap helps.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Registered

Was ont he water from about 2-3 weeks old. But Was on the beach in destin at 1-2 weeks laying on a blanket in the sand. My nices, have been on the boats since day one as well. its not a problem, just remember they sun is hard on them and give them shade.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Registered

Looks like im going to have to take Speedy(real name Huston) for his first ride then. My wifes friend said i am crazy and stupid for putting my child at risk in such an unpredictable environment so she got all freked out and scared. Thank you everybody for your comments and not making me sound like a lunatic to my wife for wanting to take him. I let her read the thread and now shes all excited to get that life jacket on him and to go for a ride.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut
Looks like im going to have to take Speedy(real name Huston) for his first ride then. My wifes friend said i am crazy and stupid for putting my child at risk in such an unpredictable environment so she got all freked out and scared. Thank you everybody for your comments and not making me sound like a lunatic to my wife for wanting to take him. I let her read the thread and now shes all excited to get that life jacket on him and to go for a ride.
People said the same thing to my wife and me about putting are child in danger. These are non-boaters that think the water is always rough and your new born is gonna bounce around like a pinball. If you were gonna put your child in danger you would not be asking this question, you asked because you are concerned for the little ones safety. You will be fine and have fun, just pick and choose a nice calm day on the water.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stomach full at the dock and 6 mos later
Attached Thumbnails Whats the youngest you ever took your child on the boat??-2007_0530austinvacation0158.jpg   Whats the youngest you ever took your child on the boat??-2007_1111keywestraces0012.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.