Notices

'88 Cig Top Gun Questions

Old 06-24-2002, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 Cig Top Gun Questions

I decided to sell my '30 Cobra Cat and posted it in the classifieds section. I'm speaking w/ a guy in Oklahoma re: a trade for his '88 Gig TopGun w/ 575's (300plus fresh water hrs.) w/ TRS drives. The boat was totally updated recently w/ fresh gel coat, cockpit and gauges. I'm not really familiar w/ this type of boat so looking for any advice, pros or cons, I can get. Also, what do you guys think is a fair # for it. Lastly, I'm trying to get out to look at it but can't get away from work. Are there any members near Sand Springs, OK that may be able to take a look at it for me? Thanks in advance, Ric
Old 06-25-2002, 11:39 PM
Registered

Anyone?
Old 06-26-2002, 12:04 AM
Banned

I found a boat I really wanted to buy, and I ran it by my mechanic. As soon as I said "TRS" he started shaking his head no. He didn't care how good a deal it was or anything else. He said to stay away from the TRS. He said when you look up parts for them, many come up "NLA" no longer availiable. I have no personal experience with a TG or TRS, just passing along what I have been told by a reputable person.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is always a lot of discussion about the drives. Basicly Merc traded reliability for more cockpit space. There are all kinds of replacement trans for the TRS and Konrad is makeing a new drive that bolts right on as well. I wouldn't worry about the drives. Just decide if you like the boat. I can't help you as far as looking at it. I would have a marine survey done though, even if you do go look at it. It may help you with bargening alittle.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:41 AM
Registered

Check out this thread. Sounds like Eyezlee lives nearby and was willing to get some pictures, etc.

Good luck.

OffshoreOnly Forums > General Discussion Area > General Discussion > where is the midwest performance boat site
Old 06-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Registered

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Sonicdude, I just sent him an email. Thanks, Ric
Old 06-27-2002, 09:21 AM
Registered

Ric,
Check your mail.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

There are several of us close to Sand Springs. Blown Formula works in downtown Tulsa which is just a hop and Skip from Sand Springs. I live in Pryor and I am an Hour From SS. I probably saw the boat a few weeks ago at lake Eufaula poker run. There were several Cigs down there from SS. From a distance they look good. TulsaLarry works downtown also I think.
You have been thinking along my lines. I have thought about an old Cig and redo it with 500 efi's and bravos. Did you see this months Family performance boating Mag with the redone 93 Cig? Looks good.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

There is a guy out here with a redone 88 TG; Twin 1200HP Quad-Whipple 572 Talldecks, and #6s, (I think that is the package; he never opens the hatch). You can't go wrong with that package; for whatever that is worth. I too have been told to stay away from TRS drives. Good Luck, and listen to those mechanics.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:01 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

FatDaddy .... if you would consider a Cafe Racer, consider this:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=27564

Quick Reply: '88 Cig Top Gun Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.