Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do Drive Showers Really Cool The Oil? >

Do Drive Showers Really Cool The Oil?

Notices

Do Drive Showers Really Cool The Oil?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Do Drive Showers Really Cool The Oil?

Has anyone here personally done a before and after test with a drive oil temperature gauge and drive shower? I'm looking for real testimonials from performance boaters who do not run their exhaust through the drive. No links to sites that sell showers please! I'm looking for real proof that they do or do not cool the oil. I know they cool the cap and keep it clean but has anyone proven that showers lower oil temp.?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Has anyone here personally done a before and after test with a drive oil temperature gauge and drive shower? I'm looking for real testimonials from performance boaters who do not run their exhaust through the drive. No links to sites that sell showers please! I'm looking for real proof that they do or do not cool the oil. I know they cool the cap and keep it clean but has anyone proven that showers lower oil temp.?
How can it cool the "case" and not cool what's in the case? The cases are made of aluminum and dissipate heat very well. Any cooling of the case is sure to cool the oil. Evidence of the case cooling is obvious, ever see a boat without a shower with a case that is all white and paint looks like hell at the top? Probably been ran hard and put up wet... Got way too hot and discolored the paint. It isn't sun faded under the platform like that...
Old 03-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the OP wants actual numbers. I would be interested, too.

Michael
Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
I think the OP wants actual numbers. I would be interested, too.
Michael
Yes! Real numbers from real performance boaters! I know they keep the cap clean.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Yes! Real numbers from real performance boaters! I know they keep the cap clean.
Well,
The quick answer is yes, I have Livorsi Drive temp gauges in my XR's, and before my drive showers install, when I would run WFO, I could watch the drive temps climb QUICKLY, the exact #'s I don't have written down, BUT after I installed my Halo's, the drive temp hardly moves off 140 Degrees.
Believe me, it was pretty amazing to see.....
Hope this helps,
Dean
Old 03-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Well,
The quick answer is yes, I have Livorsi Drive temp gauges in my XR's, and before my drive showers install, when I would run WFO, I could watch the drive temps climb QUICKLY, the exact #'s I don't have written down, BUT after I installed my Halo's, the drive temp hardly moves off 140 Degrees.
Believe me, it was pretty amazing to see.....
Hope this helps,
Dean
Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Also check with Mr Gadgets on here, he has actual numbers.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Be prepared to lose a couple of MPH with drive showers. We installed them on a 38 Fountain race boat and lost 2 MPH. Took them back off and immediately picked up the two we lost.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger
Be prepared to lose a couple of MPH with drive showers. We installed them on a 38 Fountain race boat and lost 2 MPH. Took them back off and immediately picked up the two we lost.
wow. just from two little pick ups hanging down a inch or so? way more sensitive that i would have thought, that just shows how much difference a whole lower makes...
Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roughwater
wow. just from two little pick ups hanging down a inch or so? way more sensitive that i would have thought, that just shows how much difference a whole lower makes...
not the first time i hear about this....everything we do is a trade-off,i guess...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.