Notices

Canada to US - Duty ?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Canada to US - Duty ?

If we were buying a boat from canada,is it a big deal and does it cost alot in duties etc.

How much red tape and paper work, or should i stop now and buy a boat in US?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be a pain in the azz if you don't know what you need or customs besides to be dicks. Exchange rate sucks too. Just save yourself the headache and buy here unless you can find a good broker and the price is amazing.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Registered

Phone Livingston international
Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Registered

i'm used to buy boats in the US and since most of the boats are made in USA and because of the free trade agreement between our 2 countries there is no duty. Give the customs a call for all the infos but it's nothing complicated. With that being said.. most of the good deals are in the USA.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I bought a new US build boat from a dealer in Canada. I had the contract written FOB/Delivered to my US home address. I also had BOATUS handle the US Documentation. Good thing, there were issues with the US Coast Guard not recognizing Canadian Notaries. Boat US cuaght the issue up front and all went well. This proven to be money well spent having a knowledgable firm handle the details. I think it cost me $500 total.

Originally Posted by r015
If we were buying a boat from canada,is it a big deal and does it cost alot in duties etc.

How much red tape and paper work, or should i stop now and buy a boat in US?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Registered

Default Duty"s

Thanks Beakboater35 and others,this is great information so i don't screw up, if this boat looks good.

Private owner,but said he'd deliver it, my worry is title and bank issues.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
Unlike the US the owner holds the title even if there is a loan owing on the boat ! So beware of that !!!! Not sure what kind of recourse a Candian bank would have in the US
Very good to know!-Thanks

Now how do we ensure it has no leans on it?

Thanks guys.

Randy
Old 03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by canadianfever27
i'm used to buy boats in the us and since most of the boats are made in usa and because of the free trade agreement between our 2 countries there is no duty. Give the customs a call for all the infos but it's nothing complicated. With that being said.. Most of the good deals are in the usa.
+1
Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Registered

i have sold a few boats to us customers and i always provide a lien search,you need the owners name,boat registration numbers,serial numbers,of boat motor and trailer.i use lien search [canada wide],if you google that it wil show you many lien search avenues for you to proceed with,there is a cost,but it is minimal and i would get the seller to pay.as for crossing the border,just call livingstons they deal with most of the boats that cross the border.the are very familiar with all types of boats.they have the expirience.good luck on your new boat,and dont be discouraged,about what people say about better deals bieng out there.i dont care where in the world the boat is located,if you like the boat,and can afford it,simply buy it!most canadian boats are in far better shape than,us boats more so in the performance world.we generally use our boats less,our boats are almost always used in fresh cold canadian water,and for the most part our season is shorter.keep that in mind.another idea would be to have a dealer in canada check the boat out for you,call peter at double r he will steer you in the right direction,and he can also check the boat out,heck if its a performance boat he probably knows the boat,[by the way i am not an employee,nor do i have any connection to double r,i just know good service when i see it]good luck,and take your time make sure you have all your ducks in arow,and your transaction will be very smooth.enjoy your new boat.jamie
Old 03-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

does this happen to be a 342 baja? I was looking at this boat as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.